UKC

Farewell Gregg Allman

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 IM 27 May 2017
Another great rocker gone.
 Tom Valentine 28 May 2017
In reply to IM:

Sometimes I feel.........
 veteye 28 May 2017
In reply to IM:

I saw him with the Allman Brothers band 3-4 times in Glasgow(Apollo) and Manchester and there was always something infectious about the music and a feeling of excitement about the live concert.(Or was that me just being younger?)
Somewhere I have an LP album which is of Duane and Gregg before they became famous, but it is a really good album.
I spent many an hour with friends just listening to Eat a Peach and Live at the Fillmore East etc and discussing the band and their music. A whole different music and talent. Much will be missed.
He was only 69 years old, so what did he die from?

As you say, another nail in the coffin of the memory of our youth.
 Doug 28 May 2017
In reply to veteye:

"Allman “passed away peacefully at his home in Savannah, Georgia”, the statement said, having “struggled with many health issues over the past several years”."

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/may/27/gregg-allman-southern-rock-pi...
 veteye 28 May 2017
In reply to Doug:

Thank you.
Had a liver transplant-I did not know that.With his history it was probably from a deceased biker.
RIP Gregg.
OP IM 28 May 2017
In reply to veteye:

Nice memories. I saw the Allman Bros many years ago too, a seriously class act. Gregg had one of the great rock and blues voices of all time.
Apparently a heart attack finally did for him. He left behind a huge legacy of great music though.
OP IM 28 May 2017
 Rob Exile Ward 29 May 2017
In reply to IM:

I first heard of the Allmans from people I met when I was hitching across Canada - someone had been to Altamont (?) and said that they were the only band that could jam for hours and people still wanted to listen.
 Tom Valentine 30 May 2017
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

There's a lull in one of the Live at the Fillmore tracks when a voice from the audience shouts "Play all night!"
 Tom Valentine 30 May 2017
In reply to IM:

No discredit to Gregg Allman, but I think Bobby Whitlock was his equal , most famously heard on Layla and Other Assorted Lovesongs. Best of all on "It's Too Late"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...