UKC

George's scar near Ingleton - is access OK?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frankie boy 29 May 2017
Morning all,
Can't remember if I've asked this before but was hoping to go potter about on George's Scar near Ingleton which I found details on Leeds wall new routes database but it almost seems like it's in the farmhouses back garden. Was just wondering if anyone knew if access was OK?
Thanks
 Lankyman 29 May 2017
In reply to Frankie boy:

You'll be OK as it's on access land - you can park near the ford/footbridge over Kingsdale Beck (just above the Ingleton Falls walk) and follow rights of way to reach it. There is some quite pleasant short stuff on very water-worn limestone with big runnels if I recall. The bit that's very close to Braida Garth farm (Braida Garth Scar) is also on access land. A shorter way in is the farm access track often used by cavers to get to the East Kingsdale potholes. It's not a public right of way but the farmer has always had a pretty good relationship with cavers - there is/was the Happy Wanderers hut in one of his buildings. You should definitely ask at the farm as the track is his and to get into the woods you do have to cross a few metres of non-access land from the public footpath. He used to raise pheasants in the wood but not sure now. If you didn't fancy asking you could work out a route all on access land.
I did the FA's of the routes at Braida Garth and you might want a rope/runners there for some of the harder/higher stuff (up to 8 -9m with boulders waiting at the bottom).
OP Frankie boy 29 May 2017
In reply to Lankyman:

Thanks for that and I really appreciate all your good work. Have been really enjoying all the newly developed crags round there and would love to think they'll all be in a guidebook someday although I suspect that guide would be a phenomenal effort to put together.
Cheers
Frank
OP Frankie boy 29 May 2017
In reply to Lankyman:
Oh, I also need to apologise, I have just realised looking at some printouts that I named the wrong crag and I actually meant Crina Scar, grid ref: 723738, not George's Scar. I have fond memories of sunny evenings at George's Scar.
Post edited at 18:50
 Lankyman 30 May 2017
In reply to Frankie boy:

I know where you mean - I've walked past there many times but not actually climbed on the scars above Crina Bottom. On the map it's all access land apart from the farm itself. In theory that means you'd be OK and within your rights but you may have to 'explain' yourself. I've never spoken to the residents there so can't advise. Incidentally, have you been to Tow Scar -there is lots of nice soloing there apart from the 'proper' routes and it's in a great location.
OP Frankie boy 02 Jun 2017
In reply to Lankyman:

Thanks for the info, I wonder if I go there whether I should just knock and ask if they have any problems if I climb there (as a matter of courtesy), or whether to just climb there until told otherwise.
Yes, I've been to Tow Scar a few times (and Back Tow Scar), nice place. Shame there's not a way to pull up new areas / routes that have been added to the Leedswall database since I last looked a couple of years ago, am sure there's probably more been developed up there. So much good rock there it's amazing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...