UKC

Technique: How bad is cutting loose?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SiobhanStraver 09 Jun 2017
Hey guys,

I've been climbing for about a year and a half now and work at an outdoor grade of 6b/6b+
I'm 5ft1 so I find a lot of the time I have to move quite dynamically to stick moves.
Because of this often when I'm on easier overhanging climbs indoors I find it a lot of fun jumping between moves and cutting loose in the process, my feet aren't flailing aimlessly and I always feel in control placing them back where I want, but I've heard it's good to keep cutting loose to a minimum to conserve energy.
Basically, does this kind of play really matter? Is it going to wreak havoc on my technique when it comes to harder climbs?
 allarms 09 Jun 2017
In reply to SiobhanStraver:

You don't choose the thug life.
 RockSteady 09 Jun 2017

Moving dynamically is good and one of the keys to climbing harder grades. But cutting loose may be a problem on harder climbs with smaller holds.

Watch some videos online of top men and women climbers climbing some really hard climbs. Think Ondra, Sharma, Megos, Ashima, Janja Garnbret, Jain Kim. How often are they cutting loose on these top level climbs? Maybe once or twice in the crux moves? Sometimes the handholds are so small, the key is making sure their feet stay on.

Everyone has to learn to climb differently as they have their own strengths to exploit and weaknesses to iron out or work around. Generally I'd say it's better to develop your climbing style mostly keeping your feet on rather than monkey-barring between big holds - you won't find many climbs in the UK where you can do this, it sort of depends on the big buckets they put on indoor routes. But you have to work out what works best for you.
 whenry 09 Jun 2017

As someone called Captain Cutloose by his friends...

Cutting loose can be useful - if, for example, completely changing your body position ( youtube.com/watch?v=_nGdx1IGh48& - 2.00 mins in). It can occasionally save energy if the alternative is spending ages finding poor footholds and you're moving between jugs (rare on rock in the UK).

However, as climbs get harder, it's likely that you'll find that cutting loose will make life much more difficult - holding on to pinches on an overhang is far easier if you can get your feet into good positions. The important thing is to be aware of this, and to be able to determine when cutting loose will help, and when to pull technique out of the bag (most of the time).
 nniff 09 Jun 2017

Your legs are heavy - best to keep them supported by something other than your arms.
Leaping for holds can end in tears (pronounced both ways) and is a fairly good way to hurt shoulders and finger tendons.
Leaping for holds on a trad route is a good spectator sport.
However, there's a time and a place for everything.
 Shani 09 Jun 2017

How bad is cutting loose?

On a slab? Bad. Really bad.
 stp 09 Jun 2017
Good technique on any given move can be defined as the most efficient way of doing the move. Sometimes cutting loose is more efficient than straining to keep feet on and you can use the momentum of the swing to get your feet back on higher holds. But most of the time it's better to keep your feet on as at least some of your bodyweight is supported by your feet meaning less on your hands. As you're small, on indoor routes particularly, I can imagine you'll need to cut loose far more than taller climbers.

I doubt playing cut loose games will be that detrimental providing they're only a part of your session. Doing harder steep problems where you're forced to keep feet on should definitely be included though. Keeping feet on requires more core strength and obviously is different to climbing feet off so you'll want to develop that technique to improve. Footwork can be pretty technically demanding, particularly on roofs.
Post edited at 18:48

Ashima Shiraishi is like... 5'1"? Climbed 9a+ at age 13. I've seen a few of her videos and she isn't dyno-ing every move, pretty sure you don't have to either if you don't want to.
 Cake 09 Jun 2017
In reply to Shani:

> How bad is cutting loose?On a slab? Bad. Really bad.

Wings of Unreason (E4 6a)

Not all the time, even then
 Greasy Prusiks 09 Jun 2017

If you enjoy it go for it but it will definitely make hard grades harder. There's nothing wrong with cutting loose on the odd move if there aren't any footholds but just bear in mind that every time you do it you're throwing away huge amounts of strength. Personally I only use it as a last resort.
 Wayne S 10 Jun 2017

I would concentrate on learning to climb first and developing footwork before applying any acrobatics.
In reply to whenry:

>The important thing is to be aware of this, and to be able to determine when cutting loose will help, and when to pull technique out of the bag (most of the time).

Cutting loose is technique, and you need technique all of the time.

jcm
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

> >The important thing is to be aware of this, and to be able to determine when cutting loose will help, and when to pull technique out of the bag (most of the time).Cutting loose is technique, and you need technique all of the time.jcm

This^^

It's a technique which can also be critical if you're 'showboating' for an audience and campus the moves
 Chris Harris 10 Jun 2017

"How do you reach the holds?"

Joe Brown "I climb up to them".
 planetmarshall 12 Jun 2017
In reply to whenry:

> As someone called Captain Cutloose by his friends...

Are you Louis Parkinson? If not you might have to challenge him for use of the nickname...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...