UKC

Bouldering apparently good for depression?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 22 Jun 2017
Picked this up on FB so thought I'd share.
Any activity to be honest is good for depression but some folk might find it interesting.
Den

http://www.actionhub.com/news/2017/06/11/bouldering-excellent-alleviating-d...

Fakey Rocks 22 Jun 2017
In reply to Denni:

It's here in the ukc articles too, was posted about a week ago...

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=665705
 Steve nevers 23 Jun 2017
In reply to Denni:

Bouldering is good for depression.

Boulderers on the other hand are a good cause of depression.
 Lornajkelly 24 Jun 2017
In reply to Denni:

I imagine it's highly variable depending on the nature of the depression. When I'm feeling lowest, anxiety means I can't push myself because of fear. I also commonly struggle with motivation to get out and do things, and I often don't have the energy to hack climbing for very long. Anxiety also means I worry about what other people think of the woman who doesn't exactly look like a climber, shall we say, bottling the top moves of the easy routes. I'm prone to getting angry at myself and getting upset about it. I'm incredibly jealous of (and happy for) people for whom it is helpful.
 Steve nevers 25 Jun 2017
In reply to Steve nevers:

> Bouldering is good for depression.

> Boulderers on the other hand are a good cause of depression.

They also have no sense of humour it would appear.
 Geras 25 Jun 2017
In reply to Rock to Fakey:

Exercise of any type is good for depression. I don,t see anything new in this. Unless the authors are saying it's a significantly stronger effect than other forms of exercise.
 Bulls Crack 25 Jun 2017
In reply to Denni:

It's quite depressing watching boulders though
 Fakey Rocks 28 Jun 2017
In reply to Geras:
It can be a good way to be sociable though, + have fun in / outdoors, which aside from the exercise, is hopefully going to make yr black dog more wuffy + tail waggy, phaps becoming an adorable golden retriever or spwingy spaniel, or just a happier black dog.
Sometimes people can be cliquey at these places, and unsociable too, which can be depressing. Or you might find it hard to be sociable when faced with lots of people having fun + being sociable. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense what's going on in your own head...
Bouldering + being antisocial can be fun too.. just being focused on doing the stuff, but also try getting in the way of cliquey groups stuff, that's going to be fun in a way too.
Also, bouldering outdoors on a week day with no-one else around can be great too.
I don't do much bouldering at the mo, but these are my thoughts.
Post edited at 13:21

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...