UKC

Bivouac de la Fourche - does it still exist?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I heard somewhere that last year it was damaged and is no longer accessible. Is this true? Thanks
 pneame 27 Jun 2017
In reply to BarneyLoosemore:

According to Camp to Camp, it was still there last december.

You may be thinking of the Trident Hut , further down the ridge, which is long gone.
 Jonny 27 Jun 2017
In reply to pneame:
I stayed there for two nights, this past weekend, and it was most definitely still there, and as spectacular as ever (although completely empty the days I was there).

What did change a year or two ago was the access to the main Kuffner ridge - a massive rockfall to the left of the final gendarme on the horizontal part of the ridge has made circumventing it difficult. If you don't mind missing out on a night at the Fourche, I would strongly recommend using the direct attack to access the ridge, sleeping out or at the Torino hut.
Post edited at 13:15
 Jonny 27 Jun 2017

It occurred to me that you might be asking because you're interested in some of the Brenva cirque routes. If you try any of them now, yergunnadie.
In reply to Jonny:

Well, was looking at doing the Kuffner on Friday/Saturday following the forecast dump of snow tomorrow (Wednesday) which will hopefully have consolidated by then. Of course shout if this is a stupid idea (..and offer alternatives if possible).
 LakesWinter 27 Jun 2017

Looking at your best onsights, I wouldn't.....

Not being rude but maybe getting a couple of AD's in before getting on a D is a good idea?
I found a big gap between the two grades personally. Also, something near a lift that gets AD, like the Cosmiques Arete, has nothing to do with a real AD on a real peak.
Of course you may be a crack alpinist by now, in which case feel free to tell me to shut it.

Re the kuffner it depends how much it snows, but it looks like a lot on some forecasts so, who knows...
In reply to LakesWinter:

Yes, you're most likely right - I had the Kuffner in mind because everything we've done so far has felt well within our grade and it seems to lack most technical diffuculties associated with a D, plus my partner is a far better climber than me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...