UKC

Ideas for accomodating large costal whales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Loughan 30 Jun 2017
Maybe a good fish & ship shop?
Removed User 30 Jun 2017
In reply to Loughan:

There are so many reasons why this is a bad idea:

a) Whale tastes pretty bad (I've tried it, wouldn't recommend it)
b) Whales aren't technically 'fish', so don't belong on a chippy menu
c) Many whale species are endangered, and even the ones that aren't are not really hunted in the most humane way

EddInaBox 30 Jun 2017
In reply to Loughan:

What you need is some transparent aluminum.
 aln 30 Jun 2017
In reply to Removed UserFuchs:

> Whales aren't technically 'fish', so don't belong on a chippy menu>

Either are sausages, or burgers, or black pudding etc. Or chips for that matter...

Oceanrower 30 Jun 2017
In reply to aln:

>Or chips for that matter...

I think you'll find that's covered in the second part of the establishment's name...
 Jenny C 30 Jun 2017
In reply to Loughan:

Never tried whale meat myself but granny did during the war as it wasn't rationed. My granny was a thrifty individual who believed in being value for money, but she said it tasted awful and never bought it again.
 aln 30 Jun 2017
In reply to Oceanrower:

> >Or chips for that matter...

> I think you'll find that's covered in the second part of the establishment's name...

It is indeed. Hence my post as the person I was replying to didn't seem to get that
 aln 30 Jun 2017
In reply to Jenny C:

> My granny was a thrifty individual who believed in being value for money,

Eh...
 Blue Straggler 30 Jun 2017
In reply to EddInaBox:

Keyboard! How quaint
In reply to Jenny C:

> Never tried whale meat myself but granny did during the war as it wasn't rationed.

It was quite popular in the war, even to the extent of Vera Lynn releasing the popular song encouraging people to eat "Whale meat, again" on some sunny days.

FactorXXX 30 Jun 2017
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Keyboard! How quaint

Computer, computer?
 FactorXXX 30 Jun 2017
In reply to Loughan:

I would start by going across the Severn Bridge.
 Welsh Kate 30 Jun 2017
In reply to Loughan:

You'll probably find some on Barry Island this weekend.
OP Loughan 30 Jun 2017
In reply to Loughan:

Attempt's too attract spelling pedants' for use as whale bait so far unsuccessful
 Lurking Dave 30 Jun 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Keyboard! How quaint

> Computer, computer?

Noo-clear wessles?
LD
 Big Ger 01 Jul 2017
 summo 01 Jul 2017
In reply to Loughan:

> Attempt's too attract spelling pedants' for use as whale bait so far unsuccessful

Don't harp oon too much, you'll catch one soon.
 DerwentDiluted 01 Jul 2017
In reply to Loughan:

A friend ate whale meat on an expedition to Greenland. He said it was nice but he couldn't eat a whole one.
 plyometrics 01 Jul 2017
In reply to Loughan:

The apostrophe police are watching though...
 Brass Nipples 01 Jul 2017
In reply to

How about one of the Lidos?

nufkin 01 Jul 2017
In reply to summo:

> Don't harp oon too much, you'll catch one soon.

Only if you approach the matter with a real sense of porpoise
 AndyC 01 Jul 2017

> a) Whale tastes pretty bad (I've tried it, wouldn't recommend it)

An Irish colleague and I were working on Spitsbergen many years ago. We were sitting eating dinner in the canteen when a Norwegian guy asked my mate - "Hey Irish, how do you like de vale?" to which he replied "Veal? This isn't veal!". "No, my friend", said the Norwegian, "not weel, vale, vale, you know, de big fishis vot svim in de sea!". The rest of his meal went in the bin.

Actually, I thought it was quite nice, like strong venison!
Removed User 03 Jul 2017
In reply to AndyC:

Probably also depends on the species? I had fin whale, and frankly, it looked and felt a lot like normal mammal meat, but tasted really watery, 'blubbery'.
 d_b 03 Jul 2017
In reply to AndyC:

Chucking it in the bin doesn't bring the animal back to life so he may as well have finished it at that point.

Removed User 03 Jul 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:

On a serious note, that way you could justify eating or processing anything. "It's already hunted/dead, so I may as well use it.", but this just creates more demand, demonstrating to whalers/poachers/the industry that their products are being bought and used.

That's why authorities burn seized ivory and don't just use it for something.
 d_b 03 Jul 2017

In the anecdote I was replying to it had already been paid for. The incentive to sell more had been provided. It is analogous to the authorities in question paying the poachers market rates for the ivory and then burning it.

Boycotting things only works if you don't pay them. Chalking it up to experience and taking care to not buy it again is going to be more effective than throwing a hissy fit and chucking a half eaten meal in the bin.
 krikoman 03 Jul 2017
In reply to Loughan:

"Whales unite,
Whales will fight,
Whales will go on eating plankton,
Whales we are nice,
Whales full of spice,
We don't like being wanked on"

Derek and Clive (the Whale National Anthem)
 AndyC 03 Jul 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:

> Boycotting things only works if you don't pay them. Chalking it up to experience and taking care to not buy it again is going to be more effective than throwing a hissy fit and chucking a half eaten meal in the bin.

No "hissy fit", just an instantaneous loss of appetite on his part. I guess you might experience the same if you suddenly found out that juicy steak on your plate was of canine not bovine origin.
 ThunderCat 03 Jul 2017

> Probably also depends on the species? I had fin whale, and frankly, it looked and felt a lot like normal mammal meat, but tasted really watery, 'blubbery'.

Tried it in Iceland. It actually tastes a lot like swan.
 AndyC 03 Jul 2017
In reply to ThunderCat:

> Tried it in Iceland. It actually tastes a lot like swan.

Liz Windsor on line 1!
 ThunderCat 03 Jul 2017
In reply to AndyC:

Just for the record...I was joking

It's more like kestrel than swan.
 AndyC 03 Jul 2017
In reply to ThunderCat:

> It's more like kestrel than swan.

50 shades of chicken!

d_b 04 Jul 2017
In reply to AndyC:

Well I certainly wouldn't want to do it very often - dangerous levels of vitamin A in most carnivores. It would need to be very well cooked as well.

I don't think I would find it inherently more disgusting than any other animal though - pigs are at least as smart after all.
 DancingOnRock 04 Jul 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:

> Well I certainly wouldn't want to do it very often - dangerous levels of vitamin A in most carnivores. It would need to be very well cooked as well.

> I don't think I would find it inherently more disgusting than any other animal though - pigs are at least as smart after all.

Only in the Liver.
 d_b 04 Jul 2017
In reply to DancingOnRock:

I knew the liver was particularly toxic but I thought there were high levels throughout.
 GrahamD 04 Jul 2017
In reply to ThunderCat:

> It's more like kestrel than swan.

Somewhere between albatross and eagle, then ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...