UKC

Petrol expenses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 icnoble 11 Jul 2017
I am in the unfortunate position where I am having to deal with 2 elderly aunts which will entail a fair bit of traveling. What would be an appropriate mileage rate be, I don't want to rip them off but at the same time I need to cover my costs. I was thinking 20p a mile wasn't too unreasonable.
 balmybaldwin 11 Jul 2017
In reply to icnoble:

46p (I think) is the current AA recommendation to cover wear and tear etc.

On that basis 20p is very reasonable
 yorkshire_lad2 11 Jul 2017
In reply to icnoble:

My fuel costs are about 10p/mile. But if you want to factor in everything else (wear & tear, depreciation, tyres etc etc), the figure quoted elsewhere on this thread would seem at least provable.
 jon 11 Jul 2017
In reply to icnoble:

If I were you, I think I'd do it for nothing. It'd be money in the bank for when you need dealing with.
 Neil Williams 11 Jul 2017
In reply to balmybaldwin:
> 46p (I think) is the current AA recommendation to cover wear and tear etc.

HMRC max is 45p, above that there is technically a tax issue. But it includes a contribution to depreciation etc. The lower >10000 miles HMRC rate of 25p per mile is intended to cover fuel and wear/tear costs only.

A halfway house would be receipted fuel - start the trip full, finish it full.
Post edited at 10:14
 gethin_allen 11 Jul 2017
In reply to icnoble:

In my experience of driving to help out elderly family they've always offered me more than it's cost me without me asking and absolutely refused to give me anything less. Sadly yet usefully for my conscience when my gran's dementia was getting worse I was able to convince her that she'd already given me something for the fuel and then leave it at that.

womblingfree 11 Jul 2017
In reply to icnoble:

Itemized billing seems a bit cold, even if you do need to cover costs. I'd do it for nothing or if times were tough an informal agreement of money, food, cake, whatever gesture for fuel

How good were the Christmas and Birthday presents back in the day? ????
 LastBoyScout 11 Jul 2017
In reply to icnoble:

Having been in a similar position with elderly relatives before, we found the better solution was to move them closer to us. Don't know if that's possible for you, though.

I personally couldn't charge family for travel costs, except in extreme circumstances.
OP icnoble 11 Jul 2017
In reply to LastBoyScout:

The circumstances are pretty serious. One aunt has been classed as a vulnerable adult because of the unreasonable behaviour of her sister who has been difficult all her life. She is stopping social services entering the house and when they do get in they are stopped from going into the kitchen to check on how much food there is. There is no chance of them moving closer. There is a cousin who lives close by but her help is being refused by the awkward sister even though she has offered to do a weekly shop. I have a brother and sister who are unwilling to help in any practical way. They are going to have a psychiatric assessment to determine their mental capabilities. One thing is for sure, if the awkward sister doesn't change her behaviour serious action will have to be taken. All in all an awful situation.
 LastBoyScout 11 Jul 2017
In reply to icnoble:

In which case you have my sympathy - it's hard to respond meaningfully without knowing the background.

Good luck, anyway - I have 2 awkward sisters in my extended family!
OP icnoble 11 Jul 2017
In reply to LastBoyScout:
Thanks for the sympathy, I need it. Incidentally, it is only one of the sisters that is being awkward. The other sister is dementing and she could not cope on her own. To make matters worse the awkward one has been living with her sister for 18 months having left her house in York, the gas and electricity were cut off for non-payment of bills last November. there was a freezer of food left which I dealt with last week, the smell of the liquid food at the bottom of the freezer was horrendous. No one has power of attorney for the awkward sister.
Post edited at 23:59
 jethro kiernan 12 Jul 2017
In reply to icnoble:

Have you tried the citizens advice bureau for any carers allowance that maybe available that would help, a long shot in this age of austerity ;-/
My sympathy and admiration for for dealing with such an awkward situation.
OP icnoble 12 Jul 2017
In reply to icnoble:

Once a psychiatric assessment is done we can move on. Their solicitor and are hoping I get power of attorney for the awkward one. Currently, she has power of attorney for her sister and the solicitor is number 2 so if necessary she can take over. what we don't want to happen is for the state to take over.
 Martin W 12 Jul 2017
In reply to jethro kiernan:

> Have you tried the citizens advice bureau for any carers allowance that maybe available that would help

I'd have thought that the aunt suffering from dementia would qualify for the lower level of Attendance Allowance: http://www.ageuk.org.uk/money-matters/claiming-benefits/attendance-allowanc...
 Dave the Rave 12 Jul 2017
In reply to icnoble:

Charge the awkward sister a lot, and the unfortunate one nowt?
OP icnoble 14 Jul 2017
In reply to Martin W:

We have been told that they would get the higher level of attendance allowance
 Martin W 14 Jul 2017
In reply to icnoble:

Better still. I should have said "at least the lower level".

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...