UKC

Earthquake on Kos - Kaly impact?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Babika 21 Jul 2017
Mid range earthquake being reported on Kos this morning. Does anyone know if any crags on Kalymnos have been affected?

J1234 21 Jul 2017
In reply to Babika:

> Mid range earthquake being reported on Kos this morning. Does anyone know if everyone on Kalymnos are safe?

Just corrected that for you
 kipper12 21 Jul 2017
In reply to Babika:

Perhaps our first thoughts should be with those who lost their lives on Kos and impact on livelihoods on the island Kos and Kalymnos, rather than selfishly worrying if a few rocks have fallen down.
OP Babika 21 Jul 2017
In reply to J1234:

Ok point noted and huge sympathies to all those affected with their families, homes and livelihoods. Its a horrible thing to happen and I hope assistance is available. Mea culpa.

If I could start again and people could take this in the spirit in which it is written:

On Kaly this April the climber beside me fell through the air cuddling a large pillow sized chunk of rock which fell off the cliff. As I was belaying at the bottom and unable to run away I was mighty lucky not to be killed or injured. The climber was shaken but OK, my rope tarp suffered a hole from rock damage but miraculously my rope was unscathed. It could have been a lot worse for me, my leader or the team in the rock fall if ropes had been severed by the huge rock.

At the time I was in a great state of shock as we tend to get lulled into a false sense of security that Kalymnos climbing is super safe. It taught me that this clearly isn't the case.

The earthquake may provoke more accidents along the lines of this April and, in a ham fisted way, I was trying to understand if anyone knew whether any particular crags had suffered obvious rock fall damage, and hence help all of us to stay safe.

Please understand folks that this is a well intentioned post on a climbing forum.
J1234 21 Jul 2017
In reply to Babika:

You should have just told me to piss off and get over myself, thats the climbers way
OP Babika 21 Jul 2017
In reply to J1234:

That's the male climbers way.....
J1234 21 Jul 2017
In reply to Babika:

You obvioulsy do not climb with the women I climb with
 tjekel 21 Jul 2017
In reply to Babika:

... my first thought was if anything similar was recorded from harborsid pothia there, or if any perons on Kaly were injured or houses damaged.
Lusk 21 Jul 2017
In reply to Babika:

> Mid range earthquake being reported on Kos this morning. Does anyone know if any crags on Kalymnos have been affected?

Take some runners with you, it might have opened up a few cracks you can slip some nuts in.
 JLS 22 Jul 2017
In reply to J1234:

To be fair, I'd guess some off the locals that rely on Kaly being a climber's paradise might also be wondering if their rocky assets are still as intact.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...