UKC

Recommendations for durable and breathable climbing trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SFrancis 04 Aug 2017
After some advice on hard wearing stretchy climbing trousers mostly for mountain trad routes, scotland and the alps. I want something thats breathable but doesn't rip on the first thrutchy chimney i come across. I normally just wear jeans/shorts for sport climbing or bouldering. Not the best option if there is possiblity of rain or for a walk in.

I've tried decathalon rock climbing trousers, and although i like the alpinism ones the rock ones dont suit me. Basically after the holy grail which is durable, breathable and doesnt restrict movement.

Any advice welcome.
 GarethSL 04 Aug 2017
In reply to SFrancis:

Arc'teryx Gamma AR or LT depending on the weather. AR's have a slim almost pipe-jean fit which makes you look a little bizarre, The LT's are still the best all-round mountain trouser out there IMO.
 Dell 04 Aug 2017
In reply to SFrancis:

Rab Torque. Felt a bit wierd and strangely close fitting at first, but they are ace.
 StuMsg 04 Aug 2017
In reply to SFrancis:

Haglofs seem to be good. Stretchy bits where required and last ages.

I bought one pair of mid weight trousers about 6 years ago and they are still going strong after using for rock climbing, summer and winter mountaineering, DIY and various other things.

A friend who is an outdoor instructor wore a single pair probably 50% of the time (that's 50% or the entire time he was awake) and they lasted years of abuse .
In reply to SFrancis:

Not sure if they'd suit but Mountain Equipment Hope Trousers work for me (mountain rock).
I've also got some Hagloffs which would be more suited to Alpine conditions.
 Smythson 04 Aug 2017
In reply to SFrancis:
I've had some Marmot Highland for a few years now, fit all your specs. There is a new version with slightly updated features. Heavy duty patches on backside, knees and ankles. Super stretchy and breathable elsewhere. Have drawstring so don't require belt making harness much easier fit. Pockets also harness friendly.
Post edited at 14:17
 Slarti B 04 Aug 2017
In reply to SFrancis:

For the rock climbing try Prana Stretch Zion pants. Really stretchy, breathable and comfy. Not heavy duty enough for Scotland or Alps though.
 HeMa 04 Aug 2017
In reply to SFrancis:

There really is only Montura Vertigos. And similar version from Karpos?
 jonnie3430 04 Aug 2017
In reply to Smythson:

I bought these recently and I've been quite pleased. I've abused them as much as normal and they don't show it yet, the only slight complaint is that the main material is slightly thicker than is normally go for, so they are very marginally warmer than what I'm used to, though they are the first stretchy ones I've had and are more durable that the lighter stuff I prefer.
In reply to SFrancis:
I'm on my second pair of ME Ibex in three years (the first ones are still in use, but they are worn). They are light, stretchy and they have zippers to accommodate boots when needed
- and they are more stylish than the ME Hope
Post edited at 22:24
 johncook 04 Aug 2017
In reply to SFrancis:

Try troll Omni. British made in Skipton. Reasonably priced, take a lot of hammer, especially brambles, allow my and my weird extreme flexibility full freedom, shower proof, and worth every penny. May not have a posh name or be the height of fashion but they certainly fulfil the role of all round and durable rock climbing trousers. If you have any strange requirements contact Troll and they will do their best to accommodate you.
 TobyA 05 Aug 2017
In reply to SFrancis:

Some sort of mid to lightweight softshell trousers I reckon. I've got a 15 year old pair of Patagonia that still work fine and some 10 year old decathlon ones that are also great. I've found short of sticking a crampon through them (and through my calf muscle also one time!) I don't get holes in them. They've done thousands of pitches and loads of hiking and skiing - so good value in the long run. If you've got a Decathlon nearby don't just look in the climbing aisle (where the clothing is all Simond now I think) look in the trekking aisle at the Quechua labled ones - they do some really nice ones of different styles and weights with the normal good prices. I recently accepted my middle-ageddom and bought a pair of Quechua zip off trekking trousers and they are good even if they look, well like you can zip off the bottom of your trousers which remains slightly silly.

For the last couple of years I've been using the Wild Country Torque pants a lot that I reviewed here: https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=7603 I still really like them (except the colour but I'm reconciled to that now), particularly for rock climbing in the colder months up on the moors. Basically they work as well more "technical" looking softshells, but look more normal if you go to the pub after - this years version in khaki look great, almost tempted to get a second pair in that colour. http://www.wildcountry.com/en/mens-torque-pant-2/
 mrchewy 05 Aug 2017
In reply to SFrancis:

Ronhills

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...