UKC

Recomendations yorkshire boulderin next week

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Barri 09 Aug 2017
Hi,
Will be coming from spain for a one week stay near kilnsey the week from 14 to 20 th august.
Any recs according to the weather expected??.... thanks
 Jon Stewart 09 Aug 2017
In reply to Barri:

If it's hot, Earl Crag is a good place to head, being high on the hill and north facing. Great climbing!

You may be disappointed with Caley Crags, as although it's probably the best bouldering in the country when in condition, that's not in late summer. You'll probably think it's ugly (it is!) and disgusting (it's overgrown, midgy and generally revolting in summer, and the subtle, technical climbing is frankly impossible if it's humid).

Almscliff is excellent in dodgy weather. It dries in minutes and catches any breeze going, keeping the midges away (obviously, if it's still and humid you'll get savaged in the evening when the light drops, so just go to the pub). It has nice views and is generally user-friendly. A super-classic venue not to be missed.

I have a real soft-spot for Shipley Glen, but do your research before heading there, it's not everyone's cup of tea. It isn't the most aesthetic venue, but some of the problems are really good (high, technical, tricky).
 Offwidth 09 Aug 2017
In reply to Barri:
To Jon's points I'd add Slipstones which is amazing in good conditions but might need a little wind and/or cloud right now. Brimham and outliers which has a tremendous variety with something for most conditions, Widdop and surrounding crags like Scout and Gorple has loads of variety for most conditions, Ilkley is good for a quick hit away from the weekend tourists. If its raining on and off and midgy try Woodhouse Scar (urban and v short walk -in) or go indoors.

Just looked and yr.no (best 10 day UK forecast) says mostly rain and cloud for next week with mainly light or gentle breeze so midges may well be a serious issue unlesss you are exposed to any wind or on an urban crag where they don't breed.
Post edited at 19:27
 Jon Stewart 09 Aug 2017
In reply to Offwidth:
Of course, Slipstones. Crookrise might be nice too.
Post edited at 19:50
 Offwidth 09 Aug 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I tnought about and left out Crookrise ... it might be pretty still, and humid in the expected conditions on the boulders below the crag.
 plyometrics 09 Aug 2017
In reply to Barri:
Assuming this is a holiday, I'd go for venues that are nice places to visit too, all of which have been mentioned:

Brimham
Almscliffe
Widdop
Crookrise
Bridestones
Slipstones

Earl is good in warmer weather, but it can be a bit dark and foreboding.

Caley is great, but it's not a summer venue and it looks awful!
Post edited at 20:58
 HammondR 09 Aug 2017
In reply to Barri:
There is no decent bouldering in Yorkshire and you would be well advised to try somewhere else.

Barri 10 Aug 2017
In reply to Barri:

Wow!!
Thank you all for your recs!!

Think I will focus ond the list.... and will bring my rope with me to head the limestone in case bouldering is not good enought.

If anyone climbing mornings around that week pm me at barri@barri.es!!

Enjoy!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...