UKC

Beautiful Trump

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 18 Aug 2017
I always think that Trump has such a limited vocabulary and never seems particularly articulate.
Has anyone noticed how often he seems to use the word "beautiful"?
 Big Ger 18 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I did a beautiful trump this morning.

Mine was more of a benefit to mankind.
 Siward 18 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

His lack of vocabulary may be why he uses most words twice,

e.g. 'America is a very, very, special, special and beautiful, beautiful country.'
 jkarran 18 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I wonder whether his vocabulary really is as limited as it seems? I've heard accounts of a much more agreeable articulate younger Trump and there's the possibility its largely affected for his minimally educated, plain speaking core audience. It's hard to unpick fact from fiction given the 'dumb Trump', 'cynical Trump' and 'dementing Trump' narratives are all popular attacks on him so all evidence needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.
jk
cb294 18 Aug 2017
In reply to jkarran:

There was a recent report in Science (IIRC) on how his grammar and vocabulary have changed over the last 20 years, which appears to point at some form of dementia.

CB
OP mypyrex 18 Aug 2017
Not to mention his hand gestures.
 Greenbanks 18 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

My hand gestures are pretty limited when it comes to Trump...
 Pedro50 18 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I rather like the way that he repeats a key phrase at the end of a sentence. A key phrase.

I find myself copying it which is sad. Very sad.
 Swig 18 Aug 2017
In reply to Pedro50:

Is he a master persuader. The master. The best persuader yet.

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/139541975641/the-trump-master-persuader-index-...
pasbury 18 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I think it's a word he reserves for his tower.
 Siward 18 Aug 2017
In reply to Pedro50:

Very, very sad. So sad. So, so sad.
 Blue Straggler 18 Aug 2017
In reply to Pedro50:

Does Guy Martin do this? I've never watched his TV shows but Viz seems to enjoy mocking him for it. Mocking him. For doing it. Viz.

baron 18 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:
When you want to get your message across - ' say it, say it again then say it again'.
One of the first and probably only useful pieces of advice offered up on a teacher training course.
 felt 18 Aug 2017
In reply to baron:

I thought it was: 'Say that you are going to say it. Say it. Say that you've said it.' Or perhaps that's just another one?
 nutme 18 Aug 2017
I think he is doing really well delivering to people with average education. He knows that middle class is not voting for him anyway, so he speaks only to his voters.
baron 18 Aug 2017
In reply to felt:

That sounds more like it.
 felt 18 Aug 2017
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Another one who does this a great deal is Limmy in his short stories. There was a man. Had a way with words. A good way with words. He made me laugh. Made me laugh a lot. etc, etc. Faux naif, you might call this style. Or maybe it's just idiomatic Glaswegian. How people talk in Glasgow. But it's effective. An effective style. You might find it irritating. I don't. I like it. It's fitting. It fits the stories.
 Pedro50 18 Aug 2017
In reply to felt:
> I thought it was: 'Say that you are going to say it. Say it. Say that you've said it.' Or perhaps that's just another one?

Yes this is the classic way to teach or give a business presentation. It's also the way the news is presented - the headlines, the bulk and then a summary.

Slightly similar is speaking in threes as per Maggie Thatcher - "We must be firm, we must be fair, we must be resolute"

Brendan Foster used this a lot "He's kicking for the front. he's kicking for victory, he's kicking for gold" Tiresome IMHO - happy retirement!
Post edited at 13:42
 graeme jackson 18 Aug 2017
In reply to felt:

> I thought it was: 'Say that you are going to say it. Say it. Say that you've said it.' Or perhaps that's just another one?

That's pretty much the gist of a 2 day presentation skills course work sent me on in the 90's. Haven't had to present anything since
 john arran 18 Aug 2017
In reply to felt:

Liberté, égalité, fraternité!
 nufkin 18 Aug 2017

> Does Guy Martin do this? I've never watched his TV shows but Viz seems to enjoy mocking him for it. Mocking him. For doing it. Viz.

I've never noticed, but I hope not. Guy Martin's a national treasure and doesn't deserve association with Trump
cb294 18 Aug 2017
In reply to cb294:

Further to my post above, here is one article giving clear cut examples of Trump´ s decline in language skills. It is not the one I had in mind, which I cannot seem to find again, but comes to similar conclusions:

https://www.statnews.com/2017/05/23/donald-trump-speaking-style-interviews/

CB
 felt 18 Aug 2017
In reply to john arran:

Whatever happened to
Dear old Lenin?
The great Elmyra?
And Sancho Panza?
In reply to Swig:

> Is he a master persuader. The master. The best persuader yet.

Only if the people being persuaded are Induhviduals.
 Blue Straggler 19 Aug 2017
In reply to nufkin:
I thought he came across as a petulant little tit in the feature documentary TT: Close to the Edge, which focused on him and which brought him to mass public attention. His TV shows now may well be good but I felt no reason to follow or support him off the back of that film
 nufkin 19 Aug 2017

> I thought he came across as a petulant little tit in the feature documentary TT: Close to the Edge

Ah, I've not seen that. I've just liked his cheerfulness and enthusiasm in what I've seen (mostly episodes of his Speed series), and his apparent work ethic
 Yanis Nayu 19 Aug 2017
In reply to nufkin:

I met someone the other day who knows him well and said he was rude and a pain in the arse to work with. I like him though I must admit, but he does repeat everything he says about 5 times.
Lusk 19 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

"The world is becoming like a lunatic asylum run by lunatics."

David Lloyd George, about a 100 years ago ...
 colinakmc 19 Aug 2017
In reply to felt:

Then deny that you said it....
 nufkin 20 Aug 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> I met someone the other day who knows him well and said he was rude and a pain in the arse to work with. I like him though I must admit, but he does repeat everything he says about 5 times.

I might have to reconsider him for my fantasy dinner party list then
 Yanis Nayu 20 Aug 2017
In reply to nufkin:

You might have to do something you can reheat.
 felt 26 Aug 2017
In reply to colinakmc:

Then ask what was said anyway.
 Offwidth 28 Aug 2017
In reply to nutme:
"I think he is doing really well delivering to people with average education. He knows that middle class is not voting for him anyway, so he speaks only to his voters."

That is a myth... the white middle class well educated republican establishment was the main Trump support base. If the party machine had come out against him he simply couldn't have won. If you look at the white college educated voting demographic Trunp had a small majority (mainly due to men).

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/09/white-voters-victory-donald...
Post edited at 10:11

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...