UKC

Tramadol

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 handofgod 24 Aug 2017
I've been prescribed tramadol for my shoulder.
I took 1 50mg tablet last night after tea and was felt as high as a kite. Euphoric!! Took me back to my rave days... Very strange feeling.
Have done a google today and seems they are super addictive.
Anyone have any experience or advice?
I've been given a weeks supply.
Codeine wont touch the pain.
 Stichtplate 24 Aug 2017
In reply to handofgod:

Had them for a bad back. They didn't touch the pain but spaced me out so much I'd briefly forget about it. No euphoria at all for me but apparently they are big as a recreational drug in parts of the Middle East. I found them so useless that I ended up returning the prescription. Whatever you do don't drive on them.
 BenedictIEP 24 Aug 2017
In reply to handofgod:

Broke my neck, had 100mg, saw a wizard. Used very carefully after that.
 kathrync 24 Aug 2017
In reply to handofgod:

I was given one once by a friend who is a community nurse and had some in his first aid kit after dislocating my thumb skiing.

Very strange experience. Not so much euphoric but completely disconnected from everything. I didn't like it much!
XXXX 24 Aug 2017
In reply to handofgod:

Bad back. Picked up prescription. Drove to work then took one, not two as prescribed. Thanks pharmacist for advice! Threw up and slept for 5 hours. Drove home.

I still have 99 of them somewhere.
OP handofgod 24 Aug 2017
In reply to handofgod:

Guess morphine is the only other pain killer stranger than tramadol?
cb294 24 Aug 2017
In reply to handofgod:

In standardized pain suppression tests, morphine is about 10x stronger than its synthetic relative tramadol. Both work essentially in the same manner, but morphine binds to its target more tightly.

CB
OP handofgod 24 Aug 2017
In reply to cb294:

Morphine is off the richter scale. I had it while in recovery after knee op.
They gave me a hand held device which when pressed would administer a shot of morphine. A few pushes on that baby and I was off my rocker.I went green, then vomited all over myself.
Must have been a real sight to see.
MarkJH 24 Aug 2017
In reply to handofgod:

> Guess morphine is the only other pain killer stranger than tramadol?

I found that IV paracetamol was far more effective than morphine (but less enjoyable).
 wilkie14c 24 Aug 2017
In reply to handofgod:

they make me itch all over, very strange
 drunken monkey 24 Aug 2017
In reply to handofgod:

I got it for a broken leg - never experienced anything like it. haven't slept so much in my life.

felt terrible when it wore off however
 hokkyokusei 24 Aug 2017
In reply to handofgod:

I had tramadol after my hernia op a few years ago, can't remember the dose. Made me all floaty and happy to just sit staring into space for hours on end. Don't combine with alcohol unless you want to really float a couple of feet above your bed/sofa.
 Nevis-the-cat 24 Aug 2017
In reply to handofgod:

My other half, who's a small ginger gobshite, sorry, bundle of energy that never shuts up - (think Fizzgig from the Dark Crystal), was prescribed it for a neck injury.

She sat hunched in the corner of the sofa, mute and looking like a slow loris.

Best 48 hours of my life i can tell yer.
 Ramblin dave 24 Aug 2017
In reply to handofgod:

> Anyone have any experience or advice?

It's good climbing, and frequently dry when it's raining in the mountains.
 Jenny C 24 Aug 2017
In reply to handofgod:

Had it after my apemdectomy. Totally spaced out and struggled to read or watch TV, my concentration span was around 5-10 minutes at best and I was constantly tired/exhausted. Pain relief was however far superior to paracetamol. Didn't notice any addictive effects, but was on a fairly low dose for around a month and didn't even use the full prescription.

Never used recreational drugs so can't compare, but had morphine in hospital and neither that or tramadol had any nasty side effects.
 Dave the Rave 24 Aug 2017
In reply to handofgod:

Had some for a bad back once. Apparently next day I went to Chester.
The only way I know this is from the till receipts.
 Jenny C 24 Aug 2017
In reply to handofgod:

One thing the hospital really told me off about was trying to "man up" and deal with the pain. They said pain relief was there for a reason and I should use it not to make the pain bearable but to subdue it to a comfortable level (even morphine didn't totally kill the pain, but dulled it).

If you have concerns about addiction speak to your doctor, but (and I have no medical background or understanding of drugs) I suspect a low dose for one week is unlikely to be a problem unless you have a previous history. You may however have to revise/cancel your plans for the week, I was signed off work as unable to function whilst on it.
In reply to handofgod:

Never had any, but kinda want to given some responses here.

Can I get it at Aldi?
 Jenny C 24 Aug 2017
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Don't even joke!

Morphine was great as it chilled me right out. Tramadol just left me spaced out and feeling rubbish
 Dax H 24 Aug 2017
In reply to handofgod:

I have Tramadol for my back pain.
1 doesn't touch it, 2 takes the edge off the pain but leaves me drowsy.
My doc just changed me to cocodamol but it's the same again, 1 doesn't touch it and 2 leaves me feeling a bit woolly and hot flashes too.
In reply to Jenny C:

> Don't even joke!

> Morphine was great as it chilled me right out. Tramadol just left me spaced out and feeling rubbish

Ive had loads of morphine due to injuries, ops etc. Always makes me feel ill.
 Bob Kemp 24 Aug 2017
In reply to handofgod:

Found it very effective after my knee replacement but was on it long enough to get very uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms - restless legs, anxiety, nausea, insomnia... I'd use it again but not for long, and I'd find a better way of tapering the dose off. Difficult with capsules...

It had a funny effect for me - as well as morphine-like but lesser pain relief it has an effect rather like an anti-depressant, and made me uncharacteristically optimistic!
 John Ww 24 Aug 2017
In reply to handofgod:

Took it for a bad knee injury when skiing high up off-piste - didn't touch the pain, but made me drip with sweat and feel horribly nauseous. Not pleasant.

JW
 The Lemming 24 Aug 2017
In reply to handofgod:

> I've been prescribed tramadol for my shoulder.

I was prescribed some for my neck. All they did was make me feel sleepy for half an hour, and that was it.

I wasn't very impressed with all the hype. I seem to be one of those people who are unaffected by tramadol.
 bouldery bits 24 Aug 2017
In reply to BenedictIEP:

> Broke my neck, had 100mg, saw a wizard. Used very carefully after that.

Best.
Post.
Ever.
 bouldery bits 24 Aug 2017
In reply to hokkyokusei:

> I had tramadol after my hernia op a few years ago, can't remember the dose.

I only got codeine! I feel short changed.

Andrew Wilson 24 Aug 2017
In reply to XXXX:

> Bad back. Picked up prescription. Drove to work then took one, not two as prescribed. Thanks pharmacist for advice! Threw up and slept for 5 hours. Drove home.

> I still have 99 of them somewhere.

Yhm
 CarbonCopy 24 Aug 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:
Had it for bad back, did nothing whatsoever for the pain and I didn't get any of the euphoria either - I feel cheated!
In reply to cb294:

Morphine is old hat... fentanyl is the new kid on the block. Epic addiction problems in the US. Dealers are adding small amounts to street heroin to 'amp it up' a bit.

In reply to handofgod:

Try Tremadoc instead!
 Dr.S at work 24 Aug 2017
In reply to cb294:

Well, sort of - Tramadol has a number of active metaboolites, and its some of those that have activity at the opioid recptor. Tramdol itself has actions on the descending inhibitory system (the brains way of altering pain inputs) by modulating serotonin and noradrenaline activity.

Not all people are good at metabolising Tramadol - so they may miss out on the opioid effects. But because that means there is more of the parent compound about they may get better effects on descending inhibition. Depending on the type of pain you are in one type of analgesia may be better than another - hence in part the wide variability in responses noted in this thread.

If you want proper analgesia, get some etorphine.
 Mark Morris 24 Aug 2017
In reply to handofgod:

Taken it one weekend during the slow escalation of drugs I was given when I herniated a disc. Even the doctor said, "we'll try this, some find it works, don't try it until you've finished work Friday". Sunday morning saw me sat in front of the tv, with it barely audible to my wife while I complained of the noise. Still felt the pain as well, so did me no good. Knew I wasn't going to able to take them and even get out of bed, so stopped. Later that week the doc says "yep, I was like that too"! At least he was trying to avoid me taking other stuff until he had to.

With-in 2 weeks the other opiates kicked in and I knew I wasn't capable of driving, let alone working so had to lie out the 6mths until an operation. All told, some 15 mths of pain, but I'll have to be really bad to to experience that weekend on tramadol again.
 greg_may_ 24 Aug 2017
In reply to MarkJH:

Agree. Very effective!
cb294 25 Aug 2017
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Yes I know about O-desmethyltramadol and the different affinities of its enantiomers to the opioid receptor, but there is a fine line between simplifying and lying. Part of teaching every day....

Is etorphin actually used for analgesia, or just for knocking out cows or elephants?

CB
Moley 25 Aug 2017
In reply to handofgod:

A question about Tramadol, of which I know nothing. A friend has drug testing at work and he volunteered for testing, but it threw up a positive and he was immediately suspended from his job. He had taken some Tramadol for a back problem and his GP told him this was the positive and had to write a letter to that effect.
Is this possible?
 Dave Garnett 25 Aug 2017
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

> Morphine is old hat... fentanyl is the new kid on the block. Epic addiction problems in the US. Dealers are adding small amounts to street heroin to 'amp it up' a bit.

Yes, it's about 50x more powerful than heroin. I've had a little taste a couple of times during a 'procedure', which is often enough to convince me I should stay well away from it in any other context. I was starting to look forward to my next colonoscopy!
 tmawer 25 Aug 2017
In reply to Dave the Rave:

I had a similar experience. I was prescribed some for a back injury and was so out of it Iwalked into the psychology department at Sheffield University, into the office and stole the keys to the entire building.....only realised what I had done on the bus home. They were so happy to have them returned, nothing was said!
 NottsRich 25 Aug 2017
In reply to handofgod:

Had them for an appendectomy as well - not pleasant, all sorts of strange hallucinations and weird dreams. Went back to the morphine! Which presented another set of problems... I think I'd be a rubbish at taking drugs, I really don't enjoy it!
 Dave the Rave 25 Aug 2017
In reply to tmawer:

And practitioners prescribe this to old folk! Wtf
 David Alcock 25 Aug 2017
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> Yes, it's about 50x more powerful than heroin. I've had a little taste a couple of times during a 'procedure', which is often enough to convince me I should stay well away from it in any other context. I was starting to look forward to my next colonoscopy!

Yes, they whacked 4ml into me when I woke up after my shoulder op. Very peaceful sensation.
 Renfrew1 25 Aug 2017
In reply to handofgod:

I believe it is one of the closest legal medications to Heroin. I wouldn't want to go near it but in regards to pain relief its tried and tested.
My friend however had a serious addiction to it a few years back
 Fozzy 25 Aug 2017
In reply to handofgod:

Not had Tramadol, but I did find a cocktail of Co-Dydramol and Diazepam to be very beneficial following a torn muscle in my neck. It made music taste lovely.
 Dr.S at work 25 Aug 2017
In reply to cb294:

Indeed, but I thought it was worth expanding to none opioid actions, and incorporate the patient variation in metabolism to help explain the variety of responses to the medication the fine folk of UKC report

Etorphine, no far too scary - I always keep well clear when people are darting, likewise carfentanil......

TobyA 25 Aug 2017
In reply to handofgod:

A acquaintance made a very good video called "Tramadol" about ice climbing injuries and the side effects of taking opioid pain relief. It was like a beautiful but still disturbing fever dream. He seems to have taken it down from vimeo though, I think perhaps he was in something of a dark place when he made it. It didn't come over as much of an advert for the drug. :-/
 Phil Murray 25 Aug 2017
In reply to NottsRich:

I had a laparotomy / stomach re-section 6 weeks ago (still not climbing or running again). I got morphine (self-administered gun thing - which I sat with most of the night, clicking away), IV paracetomol, which was v effective, and , urm, tramadol, also IV, and given before bed.

It drove me nearly bonkers. Weird dreams, whispering hallucinations, paranoia, inventing people talking outside my ward room, the lot. After 3 days, I was not happy, and on the 4th night, I got them to stop the IV drip of it halfway through, as I could feel myself slowly going utterly mad.

Hopefully, never again! But not as bad as overdosing on a Bhang Lassi in Rajaastan in the 1990s (worst drug experience ever).
 Si_G 25 Aug 2017
In reply to Jenny C
> Never used recreational drugs so can't compare, but had morphine in hospital and neither that or tramadol had any nasty side effects.

Morphine did nothing for me.

Gabapentine, on the other hand, turned me into an arsehole. So much so that I now avoid taking pain meds. It was awful.

Codeine gave me a muzzy head.

Naproxen /Diclofenac gave me ulcers.

Paracetamol is underrated.
cb294 25 Aug 2017
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Fair enough! Guess a large animal dose of etorphine will kill you by respiration depression before you have much time to react.

CB
 Dauphin 25 Aug 2017
In reply to handofgod:

Waste of time for most muscular skeletal injuries. Should course of paracetamol + NSAID much more effective, although there are some cautions.

Along with subutex, tramadol is the most abused prescription drug in Scandinavia, probably because it gets you right off your tits, never found it to be much use as a painkiller though.

D
 Dauphin 25 Aug 2017
In reply to Moley:

Yeah, tramadol is an opiod.

D
 Dr.S at work 26 Aug 2017
In reply to cb294:
Yeah, there used to be a widely used cocktail of etorphine with a phenothiazine for horse field anaesthesia - it came with some naloxone and someone was supposed to stand about with the naloxone dose ready to inject in case the vet stabbed themselves by accident. All good clean fun.

(Large animal immobilon - the SPC is highly entertaining)
http://www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/productinformationdatabase/spc_documents/spc_10...
Post edited at 07:50

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...