UKC

Boots with bunions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave the Rave 25 Aug 2017
Any advice please.
My daughter is size 6.5 with wide forefeet due to bunions and a narrow heal. I buy her fabric boots but on descent they rub her bunions.
Are there any boots that are wide in the forefoot and narrow at the heal, and do you wear them comfortably with bunions?
Also, do George Fisher still do free replacement / full refund if boots are problematic after using their fitting service? Is there anywhere in Fort Bill that offers the same service ?
Thanks
 stinker 25 Aug 2017
In reply to Dave the Rave:
Have a look at the Hanwag range of bunion specific boots http://www.hanwag.com/products/special-editions/hallux?id=482&gender=1612

You will need to shop around for the best available prices.
Post edited at 14:31
 ScraggyGoat 25 Aug 2017

Some Asolo boots come in wide sizings, yet the heel box isn't too sloppy. I didn't have any problems despite relatively narrow heels.

Tongue and or footbed heel volume reducers can also help tweak the ankle fit.

No idea of women's versions and fit Im afraid.

I dream one day of walking in a shop having my feet 3D scanned and then all the appropriate constituent boot parts being cut to size and assembled.
 Billhook 25 Aug 2017

Oh dear! And I was thinking you were after a pair of boots that had bunions. Never mind.
OP Dave the Rave 25 Aug 2017
In reply to Dave Perry:

> Oh dear! And I was thinking you were after a pair of boots that had bunions. Never mind.

Dave.
Dave, Dave , Dave.
Dave, Dave, Dave, Dave.
No.
OP Dave the Rave 25 Aug 2017
In reply to stinker:

Thanks. Will have a look at those
 Andrew Lodge 25 Aug 2017

Is it the sort of thing Altberg could sort out, they can do some amount of custom fitting if you visit them.
 99ster 29 Aug 2017

This where you want to go:

http://www.whalleyoutdoor.co.uk/boot-fitting-service/
 Jon Greengrass 29 Aug 2017

Vivobarefoot have a much wider fit than any make of shoe or boot I have ever tried, including a pair of Altbergs that I had made to order in their widest fitting.

https://www.vivobarefoot.com/uk/womens/off-road/tracker-fg-womens?colour=Bl...
 slab_happy 30 Aug 2017
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

> Vivobarefoot have a much wider fit than any make of shoe or boot I have ever tried,

Oh, good call. I don't think they're especially wide in the heel, but they're really wide in the toebox.

I have bunions and a lot of Vivobarefoot shoes because I find them more comfortable than anything else. They're also generally very light-weight, so convenient to clip onto your harness if you're looking to use them for walking off crags.

Obviously, though, it depends on how your daughter gets on with "minimalist" or "barefoot" shoes (i.e. shoes with very very thin, flexible puncture-resistant soles); some people would rather have something more supportive. And it's usually worth transitioning gradually rather than going for a five-hour hike the first time you wear them.
 girlymonkey 30 Aug 2017
I have very wide feet and bunions. I very rarely wear boots these days and opt for trail shoes or approach shoes 99 percent of the time. Much comfier and helps keep ankles strong. I wear boots if I am doing a lot of bog trudge. If I use boots, i use Lowa Munros, and they work for me. My heels are not very narrow though
Post edited at 11:56

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...