UKC

Tryfan and Grib Goch in one day

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
rare-name 01 Sep 2017
I m looking to do Tryfan and then Grib Goch in one day. Will appreciate advice from anyone who did that.

I've done Tryfan ascending along the North Ridge. That appeared easy.
Doing Grib Goch after Tryfan may be tiring. Is Grib Goch physically demanding?

I have head for highs and pretty good surefootedness.

Will appreciate opinions.
 gethin_allen 01 Sep 2017
In reply to rare-name:

I did it a while back, scrambled up the north ridge of tryfan, down to the gap and then up bristly ridge along the top of Glyder fach and fawr, down to pen y pass then up crib goch and returned down the miners track after a quick nip to the summit.
We set off about 9:30 IIRC and it was a relatively long day, and as we did it quite late in the year it was getting dark as we got back to pen y pass about 6ish.
Obviously you need to be happy scrambling and need to be moving relatively quickly, the only part that was awkward ground was dropping down to PYP from glyder fawr where the route was boggy and not really a path.
You'll need to sort out a lift system if you want to get back to ogwen that evening as it would be a significant effort to make it back on foot.
 GrahamD 01 Sep 2017
In reply to rare-name:

The scramble part of Crib Goch isn't particularly tiring in itself but it starts around 3000' altitude and is quite a distance from where you top out on Tryfan
 broken spectre 01 Sep 2017
In reply to rare-name:

You could cut out the Glyders by taking the Miners Track from Bwlch Tryfan directly to Pen Y Gwryd
 Mark Haward 03 Sep 2017
In reply to rare-name:

A tricky question to answer. What one person finds physically and / or mentally demanding another may find easy. Fitness, stamina, experience, skill levels, familiarity with the terrain, nutrition and route conditions are some of the variables.
Personally, I would find this fairly straightforward in reasonable conditions but be aware that tackling what some people would find tricky ground such as Crib Goch after doing Tryfan means you may be extra tired and possibly more likely to make mistakes. There are other people who may find doing Tryfan quite enough, others will happily do all the three thousanders in a day.
The best preparation, if you are unsure, would be to do several increasingly long days walking and scrambling until you feel confident in your ability
 profitofdoom 03 Sep 2017
In reply to rare-name:

> I m looking to do Tryfan and then Grib Goch in one day. Will appreciate advice from anyone who did that.
> Doing Grib Goch after Tryfan may be tiring. Is Grib Goch physically demanding?

Done it. Yes, 'Doing Crib Goch after Tryfan' will be a bit tiring for most people. But 'is Crib Goch physically demanding' cannot be answered. It will be for an unfit person with mobility issues. It will hardly be for a rested person just back from the Alps or K2.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...