UKC

Rechargable batteries?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 12 Sep 2017

What are the best rechargeable AAA batteries out there at the moment?

I'm considering buying some eneloop pro batteries, but I'm open to anything which is better.

And apart from a slight variation in mAh, is there any difference between eneloop batteries and other brands such as amazon own brands?

Cheers muchly.
Post edited at 18:35
 LastBoyScout 12 Sep 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

I've been using Uniross hybrio ones with good results - I've been recommended Sanyo as the best, though
OP The Lemming 12 Sep 2017
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Seems like the reputable brands are much of a muchness in performance.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-rechargeable-batteries/
 AlanLittle 12 Sep 2017
In reply to The Lemming:
This guy did some actual tests too (albeit three years ago):

https://www.lightandmatter.org/2014/tech-photography-articles/best-recharge...
Post edited at 19:28
 LastBoyScout 14 Sep 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Forgot to ask if you are replacing "normal" batteries?

Reason I ask is that "normal" batteries are 1.5v, but rechargable ones are only 1.2v - doesn't make much difference in some things, but other things can be sensitive to the 20% voltage drop and not work properly or not last as long.

I've also found that rechargable batteries (some, anyway) seem to have a slightly shorter tip on the positive end than "normal" batteries which can fail to make contact in some devices where the terminal is recessed in plastic - probably a design feature to stop you using rechargable batteries in those devices. Can get around it with a bit of aluminium foil.
 tjin 14 Sep 2017
In reply to Dave Williams:

I invested in Eneloops in 2008, still using them. Still works fine.
 Dave Williams 14 Sep 2017
In reply to The Lemming:
> Seems like the reputable brands are much of a muchness in performance.

I think you're right. Without having previously done any research - or read any review - for some time now I've been using AA Energizer rechargeables in my modular LED caving lamp. Mainly using the flood module rather than the spot module, so a constantly regulated current drain. Subjectively they seem to last as long as the equivalent Duracells that I've used - and they're readily available in shops when they need replacing. (They're a couple of quid cheaper to buy on-line, but I never bother.) Panasonic Eneloops are significantly more expensive, so I've not bothered with those, which is just as well having now read your linked review. Currently I'm using the Energizer 2000 mAh NiMH Power Plus version rather than the slightly more expensive 2300 mAh Extreme version. I can't comment as to whether or not the Energizer AAAs are as good.

I think a good quality smart charger is also needed to get the best out of any rechargeables, irrespective of brand.
Post edited at 12:42
 nough 14 Sep 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

If you're wanting a high quality, high power headlamp, I'd recommend looking for anything that takes 18650s. I know it's a bit of trouble to get into the ecosystem, but they last so much longer than AAAs, and are so much more powerful, that it's definitely worth it.

I can give recommendations if needs be.

Otherwise, I hear Costco rechargeable AAAs are the same as eneloops.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...