UKC

What you hate about climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 her_t6 17 Sep 2017
On the back of the what you love about climbing post. I wondered what people hate about climbing? I will start off.

Not being able to get out on days when the weathers great.

The weather being pish when you want to get out.

Being let down by climbing partners on the day meaning your plans are no more.

Stuggling to find people to go climbing with.

Having little to talk to others about since all the things i do are based around climbing and they dont get it.

Trangia 17 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6:

Not being able to climb things I could when I was younger - but that's got nothing to do with climbing, just aging
 marsbar 17 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6:

Faff and heights.
In reply to her_t6:

Endless debates about the "climbing ethics" of bolting, when all it really is is just so much metal in the rock, which is either a trivial issue or mankind defacing the environment - depending on one's point of view.
 Oceanrower 17 Sep 2017
In reply to John Stainforth:

But it's the "thin end of the wedge" don't you know...
In reply to Oceanrower:

...or the tip of the expansion bolt!
 1poundSOCKS 17 Sep 2017

> Endless debates about the "climbing ethics" of bolting, when all it really is is just so much metal in the rock, which is either a trivial issue or mankind defacing the environment - depending on one's point of view.

So you hate debates about bolting, but felt the need to post your opinion on the subject. Maybe you're being deliberately ironic?
 spartacus 17 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6:
Horrible nerves in cafe or on way to crag deciding shall I/ shan't I having researched some hard climb. Usually evaporates when you commit to route shorty on leaving ground.

bouldery bits 17 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6:

Buying and maintaining equipment.
OP her_t6 17 Sep 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Suppose thats life but at least you have pushed yourself at one point, so now time to enjoy routes without feeling you need to climb that level
OP her_t6 17 Sep 2017
In reply to marsbar:

Faff is certainly an annoying thing!
OP her_t6 17 Sep 2017
In reply to spartacus:

I agree with you there, it all seems to disappear as soon as you touch the rock! Great point!
 profitofdoom 17 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6:

Driving up to Wales for the weekend only to have it tipping down with rain everywhere for 2 days
OP her_t6 17 Sep 2017
In reply to profitofdoom:

Bloody nightmare, feel your pain mate!
 GrahamD 17 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6:

Endless hours in the car really take their toll these days.
 RR 17 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6:

First thought: To be an external object, to get yelled at for motivation reasons. (By experience this a-social behaviour happens especially on expeditions with more than two. In the mean time stealing my food.)

May be: The moment of fear of falling while rock climbing and being above not so good protection.

No: Climbing partners calling: Sorry, sorry but ...
 wilkie14c 17 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6:

climbing is like masturbating, great when you're doing it but not great talking to your mates about it
 Col Kingshott 17 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6:

Midges.
 Luke_92 17 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6:

Being injured, and the weather's finally nice on three of my days off in a row...

Being unable to remain off the subject of climbing for more than three minutes in a normal conversation. This probably annoys people who don't climb.
 SenzuBean 17 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6:

Failing, or even almost failing on a climb with a grade I'm supposedly solid on.
Losing onsights is awful - I can't imagine trying to explain it to a non-climber, must seem so ridiculous.
OP her_t6 17 Sep 2017
In reply to Luke_92:
Its such a pain not being able to speak about climbing to non-climbers. I usually get the wtf look from them haha!
Post edited at 17:55
OP her_t6 17 Sep 2017
In reply to SenzuBean:

The onsight thing annoys me even more when i have kept off the route until i feel strong enough. Then i have a go next time to get my arse spanked and ego damaged!
 hang_about 17 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6:

Rubbish - especially when it's obviously been left by other climbers
 JackM92 17 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6:

People who don't climb constantly assuming that I'll be trying Everest or the Olympics.

dan gibson 17 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6: when people don't remove their tick marks.

Kevster 17 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6:

Living too far away from any crag to have a "local". In fact, I'd be happy with a "sort of near". 2.5 hours min travel sucks.
 jezb1 17 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6:
The internal pressure of a redpoint attempt.

(But I kind of love it too!)
Post edited at 18:33
 veteye 17 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6:
I hate going to a crag with the intent to climb a route, but finding a queue to do that route or routes. Later when you get chance it starts raining, or you have run out of beans.
I hate those routes where you put the gear in and don't have the power to get up the route due to gear stuffing, or take the chance of hardly putting in gear and risk self damage. It is a great feeling if you get up that hard route by taking more risk, but then you reflect later, what would have happened if you had not held your position when your foot skeetered off the smear?
I also hate it when friends who are generally not as talented at rock climbing, in my estimation, get up something that I either fail on, or climb in a poor style.
Post edited at 19:01
OP her_t6 17 Sep 2017
In reply to Kevster:

That sounds like a nightmare mate, I can't moan again about crags being 25 mins away from home!
OP her_t6 17 Sep 2017
In reply to veteye:

Queueing for a route does my head in, lucky enough i have managed to escape this a fair bit recently. Thinking back to routes where you have on purpose ran it it and came out fine, gives me a buzz, it will catch up on me one day!

I agree, this has happened to me - they get up in the worst style ever but still manage it, blows my mind!
 3leggeddog 17 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6:

All the garbage terms used; trad, sport, bouldering, red point, head point. Remember when we just went climbing?

Oh and send, that one really boils my piss.
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

So what was my opinion? I (thought) I gave a subjective answer that covered the entire possible range of opinion.
 1poundSOCKS 17 Sep 2017

> So what was my opinion?

Just a joke John. If there's one thing that might start a bolt debate, it's a post about bolting. So I would expect anybody who hates bolt debates to keep schtum on the subject. That's probably the most full explanation I can manage.

And my opinion on bolts? It's hard to have a strong opinion on something like a bolt, in general terms at least. Hopefully that avoids a bolt debate and an unfortunate thread hijack, for you especially.
 jagster 17 Sep 2017
In reply to 3leggeddog:

Same here for send!
 Si_G 17 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6:

Being crap

And

Hitting the ground at speed
In reply to her_t6:

Here's one I really dislike. Usually climbers cooperate when descents require multiple abseils/rappels, e.g., sharing ropes in order to get everyone down as fast as possible. Once or twice I've come across climbers who insist on doing their own thing, not sharing ropes etc, thus slowing everyone down.
 Mick Ward 17 Sep 2017

You'll love this tale, John. A few years ago, a mate of mine was doing a long route in Spain. He caught up with some people he knew who a) didn't know what they were doing and b) hadn't enough gear with them (even quickdraws). Must have thought they were at the climbing wall! My mate gave them a load of stuff and they started to frig their way up and out. For some reason, there was a delay; when he started up, he only had a few quickdraws left. The route's about F7a and he had about a third of the quickdraws he needed. Big runouts a long way up! His 'chums' disappeared, got off the back of the crag and f*cked off for dinner - where he caught up with them. No hanging around to help once they'd been given his gear, no siree.

Personally I found this story amazing and horrifying. Are there really people like this? It would appear so.

Mick

Lusk 17 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6:

The driving and expense, in the end.
You'd spend 2,3 or 4 hours or so round trip to fart around on one or two hundred feet of rock somewhere, just couldn't be bothered any more. Did have many, many good times previously though.
 veteye 17 Sep 2017
In reply to Lusk:

In your profile, you say that you should migrate to UKH as you only go walking, yet your recent climbs include an occasional VS. So you should stop being an old fart and go and do some climbing again and reinvigorate your approach.
The positive aspects to climbing outweigh those mentioned on this thread.
I sometimes go to the Lake District and back in a day(Getting up early and arriving back late.) for me the round trip is 7-9 hours, but it is usually worth it, providing the weather is reasonable. These days you can listen to all sorts of things in the car, and you can spend time catching up with friends or even clients by telephoning them. I like being in the car in general. My only negative feeling is that it is not environmentally acceptable.
Whatever the case go and do some classic mid-grade routes again with friends. If need be they can lead the first few times.
Lusk 17 Sep 2017
In reply to veteye:

> In your profile, you say that you should migrate to UKH as you only go walking, yet your recent climbs include an occasional VS.

That was 8 years ago! Update, I did 3 VDiffs up at Dovestones last year.
There's nowt wrong with being an old fart anyway, one prominent UKC old fart has just done the Tour de Mont Blanc.
Extreme walking is where my future lies
 stp 18 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6:

1. The fact my skin gets sore and sometimes I have to stop before my body needs a rest.
2. The fact my body gets tired and sometimes I have to stop before I want to.
3. The fact we need rest days.
 Tyler 18 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6:

Being shit and weak
 Mick Ward 18 Sep 2017
In reply to Lusk:

Obviously you have to follow your heart but... I feel the same way as veteye. In the 'old farts' continuum, I'm the best part of a decade older, still love climbing as much as I did fifty years ago. Agree with you about driving; these days, the roads are so busy that it exhausts me. But if you're in Manchester, there's so much close to you. (The Chew - God's own place, as the late Brian Cropper felt about it.)

About ten years ago I met an old climbing partner who wouldn't have anything to do with it any more. I couldn't help feeling that was ego speaking. It was as though he felt his climbing hadn't been good enough and he didn't want to try any more. Amongst much else, he'd done a fairly early Brit ascent of The Nose and Wall of Horrors, so he was definitely two up on me.

Recently, on a rare vist to Cornwall, nipping up and down Alison Rib at Bosigran was such a delight. I mean - how much fun can you have on a Diff? I dream of doing Right Angle - again accessible to most of us, with care.

As veteye suggested. 'Whatever the case go and do some classic mid-grade routes again with friends...'

Could we respectfully ask you just one time more to reconsider? I'm sure there will be other people in similar situations reading this and asking themselves the same question.

Mick

drolex 18 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6:

It's strenuous, it's scary, it hurts my fingers, damages my skin and breaks my nails, the approach is too long, the rack is too heavy, the guidebooks are too big, the bolts are hard to find, alternatively the pro is very hard to find, it's cold out there, it's too hot out there, it's raining, it's snowing, it's windy, it's foggy, there are midges, mosquitoes and ticks, there is no beer at the crag, my partner is always complaining I'm a wimp, my partner is also a wimp, the ropes are entangled, the ropes get stuck on the abseil, the ropes are knotted, I didn't take enough quickdraws, I took too many withdraws, this nut placement is shit, my partner gives too much slack, my partner doesn't give enough slack, I haven't slept enough, I'm hungry, I'm thirsty, I want to go home under my blanket.

I quite like it.
 RX-78 18 Sep 2017
In reply to JackM92:

funny that, made me remember when I used to do amateur cycle racing, my work colleagues seriously asked me if I would be riding the TdeF! This was about 15 years ago when cycling was less in the general public sphere.
 Bulls Crack 18 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6:

I have a recurring mild 'nightmare' about going out but not actually climbing - various faffy things get in the way -
which is odd really since I generally do go climbing when I want to!
 peppermill 18 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6:

Not being able to find any clothes with pockets big enough to hold all my excuses ;p
 ianstevens 18 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6:

Punters.
 Andy Long 18 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6:

Rock Shoes.
In the 50-odd years since I bought my first pair I've not found any that were a) snug enough for climbing and b) didn't become excruciating after half an hour or so. The Evolve Royales that I presently use are not bad but even they make it agony merely to touch the rock after one route.
And don't tell me it's because I buy them too small. It's because I've got narrow feet with the first three toes all the same length.
 springfall2008 18 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6:

Knowing I'm never going to be very good!
 Hat Dude 18 Sep 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

> Punters.

Wads
 3leggeddog 18 Sep 2017
In reply to Hat Dude:

> Wads

Put that in the same piss boiling pot as send please.
 john_mx 18 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6:

The keyboard warriors
 CEW 18 Sep 2017
In reply to 3leggeddog:

And 'psyched' and its variants
 pec 18 Sep 2017

> Once or twice I've come across climbers who insist on doing their own thing, not sharing ropes etc, thus slowing everyone down. >

Were they mountain guides? That's their usual trick after they've barged past you or abseiled onto your head and clipped into your runners or other such grossly inconsiderate behaviour so they can drag their hapless clients off the hill as fast as possible so they can get to the bar a bit sooner.

BusyLizzie 18 Sep 2017
In reply to Mick Ward:

> Recently, on a rare vist to Cornwall, nipping up and down Alison Rib at Bosigran was such a delight. I mean - how much fun can you have on a Diff?

How lovely that you did Alison Rib - we did too, the same week - such fun!!

Gustavo 18 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6:

Climbing becoming mainstream and fashionable, and the perceived need for qualifications as some kind of badge of merit.
In reply to her_t6:

> On the back of the what you love about climbing post. I wondered what people hate about climbing?

The jealousy

Lloydfletch 19 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6:

Getting out of bed early in the weekend. If only there were more hours in the day. Perhaps I should spend my summers in lofoten so I can lie in all I want.
 pebbles 19 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6:

the lack of time to do it when the weather is nice! and sneakily envying friends who are retired or part time and spend their lives on climbing trips ;-D
In reply to pec:

The last case I witnessed was a climbing couple. The man was older and more experienced than the woman. He appeared to be trying to frighten her as much as possible. Strange, macho idiot.
 fmck 19 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6:

Lost count how many times been excited about conditions only for the weekend to bring thaw and rain. One time Isle of Arran was in good nick night before but walking up early in the morning in drizzle and low cloud. I met my mate walking back down out the mist. I asked where he was going as I was beginning to see snow ahead. He replied "that's f****n sheep your seeing"
 pec 20 Sep 2017

> The last case I witnessed was a climbing couple. The man was older and more experienced than the woman. He appeared to be trying to frighten her as much as possible. Strange, macho idiot. >

That description could fit a lot of the guides I've seen!

Fishmate 21 Sep 2017
In reply to her_t6:

Living 2.5 - 3 hours from any rock other than southern sandstone.

Having to stop because I'm boxed.

Requiring rest periods.

Non climbers assuming that Everest is the pinnacle of all climbing ambition.

Partners enthusiasm at first trip related discussion waning in subsequent discussions prior to the excuse. No problem as I boulder, but company is always good.

The dependency on others that trad and sport require.
 Carless 21 Sep 2017
In reply to Timmd:

yep - I'll agree with that
Bloody frozen shoulder...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...