UKC

super sticky climbing tape

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi

looking for recommendations for super stick climbing tape, I have tried a few brands and they struggle to stick, and can come of after one route, I think it's a bit me and my sweaty hands or ph levels on the skin or something?

so any advice on super stick stuff the kind that is hard to get off even after a shower

many thanks in advance
 superturbo 20 Sep 2017
In reply to ecrinscollective:

Dreamtape
cb294 20 Sep 2017

Counterintuitively, many kinds of tape stick badly on sweaty skin, but stick much better on dry skin if the whole roll has been moistend once before (e.g., in the kit bag below a wet towel). I bought some cheapo rolls in Sweden (Intersport generic brand), and they are OK when I briefly wet them under the tap the day before I break into the new roll (roughly once a week, but for judo not climbing).

CB

I find that the best way to ensure tape sticks is to use a dab of superglue between the wraps - you do not have to apply it to the skin - just sticking the tape to itself can suffice for tape job that lasts all day without slipping.
 Daniel Leech 20 Sep 2017

has to be metolious tape for me, any other tape I've tried just doesnt seem sticky enough!
 Greasy Prusiks 20 Sep 2017

Another vote for dreamtape. Put it on dry skin and it will stick all day.
 JIMBO 20 Sep 2017

Strapal tape...
has always been the best and no other tape comes close to stickiness or low stretch in my opinion...
 Mr. Lee 20 Sep 2017

Try Vivomed's Vivo S zinc oxide tape. I tried a few brands of zinc tape but this stuff is the best I've found by a long way. A lot better than popular brands like Muller and Leukotape. I sweat a lot when I'm hot and it's fine regardless. I've used it for everything from strapping tape on shoulders and wrists, to crack gloves and fingers tape.

Hi All thanks for the reply,

I will start trying some and see which works best for me,

thanks again Rob
 DamonRoberts 20 Sep 2017

I opened this thinking it would be a thread about tape you can apply to your hands to make them stick to stuff better. Sadly disappointed.

A climber in Font once told us to super glue tape directly onto our fingertips. One of my mates listened, and proceeded to remove his fingerprints the on the first route of the day when the tape ripped off. So I don't recommend doing that. I've used some metolious tape which worked quite well, but a lot seemed to depend on getting the application right more than the tape.
 birdie num num 20 Sep 2017
In reply to DamonRoberts:

I do slabby stuff like TPS with toilet plungers strapped to my wrists and feet
 nniff 21 Sep 2017

As above - Strappal (from vivomed). No stretch (which is essential if the purpose is to support tendon pulleys) and sticks properly.

Ocun Crack Gloves
In reply to nniff:

> As above - Strappal (from vivomed). No stretch (which is essential if the purpose is to support tendon pulleys) and sticks properly.

I thought it was pretty much accepted that tape little or no use in tendon support but may be of some use if taping another finger to the inured one.
 nniff 21 Sep 2017
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

My thirty-odd years of personal experimentation has shown me that not taping my ring fingers leads to tears/tears. My observed experience is that decent tape does support tendon pulleys. Not taping always ends the same way. So, call me picky about tape, but Strappal every time (because using other stuff has similarly ended badly). All that stuff about strengthening connective tissue etc - well as far as my ring fingers are concerned - it's not going to happen. How many metres in 35-36 years? I dread to think - about 700 metres I suppose at 5 metres every 3 months
In reply to nniff:

I've used it myself and felt it was doing something. I wondered if it had the effect of stopping me pulling too hard.

hi

I will try some Stratal seams to be what i am looking for, its for an old pulley injury that feels creaky when cold, I find tape helps it for the first few routes.

cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...