UKC

Crag swag?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 leland stamper 23 Sep 2017
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1508390279198481&set=gm.1614598...
Whilst sliding off Goram's Crack (HVS 5b) Blaise Castle Gorge this fell into my hand . I think it had a thread on it at one time. Is this one of Nipper Harrison's originals? Anybody got his email? Should I put it back or stick a shoelace through it and put it into use?
 john arran 23 Sep 2017
In reply to leland stamper:

Bacefooked.
 yodadave 23 Sep 2017

link seems broken, but i'm very curious
 Luke90 23 Sep 2017

Suspect that your Facebook privacy settings are preventing people from seeing the photo you were trying to post. You could either change the privacy settings on that photo or upload it somewhere else eg. http://www.imgur.com
In reply to Luke90:

Yep thanks, just sorting it
 stp 23 Sep 2017

Think you can keep that one and no one will mind. Maybe it's got some historic value perhaps.

I thought Nipper Harrison was after the engineering nuts era though.
 profitofdoom 23 Sep 2017

To be honest I would bin it also it's from before Nipper's time which is a bit puzzling
 deepstar 23 Sep 2017

Hi Tim, I climbed with Nipper a few times, back in the day and from what I recall he had an impressive set of stainless steel nuts with the threads drilled out. I think he had a mate that worked at Bristol Aerospace that made them for him, so I don't think that rusty old thing would be his.
In reply to profitofdoom:

I thought Nipper put up Goram's Crack in 73 when I seem to remember nuts like this were in common use.
In reply to deepstar:

About 72-73?
 profitofdoom 23 Sep 2017

> I thought Nipper put up Goram's Crack in 73 when I seem to remember nuts like this were in common use.

You're memory's different from mine! I was climbing in 1973 and before but never used nuts like these. Oh well better not rely too much on my memory
 deepstar 23 Sep 2017
In reply to leland stamper. Purpose made nuts like the excellent moac were made in the 60's, so most homemade nuts would have predated that.
 oldie 23 Sep 2017
In reply to profitofdoom:

Agree. I do remember a few such nuts on rope slings still knocking knocking around. However there was a plethora of designs appearing in late 60s and early 70s inc MOACs, hexagonal equal sided nuts with no camming action, large H and T section aluminium nuts, round section Peck crackers, spuds and some nuts were wired. Also a few plastic nuts which didn't catch on and looked as if the rock would bite through them.
Like you my memory timescale may be far from exact.
In reply to deepstar:

I still have my moac which dates from the early seventies. Even so I seem to remember using drilled out nuts at that time probably cos they were free from engineering workshops like RR and also because at the time Essex was not over endowed with climbing equipment shops.

For those of you who haven't seen this before, the place to check your nuts out.

http://www.needlesports.com/content/nuts-museum.aspx

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...