UKC

Odd text happening

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greenbanks 24 Sep 2017
Mrs G said I sent her a text (harmless content!) late last night. I looked on my iphone and so I did, apparently. But, the thing is, I didn't go near my phone last night & we were together all night.
I am mystified - called Apple Support and my service provider (EE), as well as searched the web for clues. Not really very convincing responses though.
So, am I texting in my sleep? Or am I knowingly sending messages to a third party (I can't think of who I'd want to text)?
Am I overlooking something obvious?
 elsewhere 24 Sep 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:
Is it harmless content that could be from you or harmless text nothing like you write?

If the former, an old genuine message delayed or re-sent by some glitch in the phone?

Very strange.
 FactorXXX 24 Sep 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

You sent a text when you had no network and it was sent when the connection was re-established?
 Yanis Nayu 24 Sep 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

It almost certainly involved alien abduction.
OP Greenbanks 24 Sep 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Looks very much like it...
In reply to elsewhere:

> Is it harmless content that could be from you or harmless text nothing like you write?

> If the former, an old genuine message delayed or re-sent by some glitch in the phone?

> Very strange.

It is a text that seems like nothing I'd write. It is very poor grammatically, and doesn't make a lot of sense. It also seems to be in response to a question that's been asked.
 Fraser 24 Sep 2017
 Luke90 24 Sep 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:
Was it sent by SMS or iMessage?

http://www.ianswerguy.com/imessage-difference/

I would assume that somebody has obtained access to your iCloud account and is using it to send iMessages. If so, change your password and also make sure that any other security information is up to date and correct. If possible, talk to Apple support again to try to establish how they broke into your account. (They could have guessed or obtained the password on iCloud, accessed the email that your iCloud account is tied to, or gamed other systems like security questions.)
Post edited at 11:47
In reply to Luke90:

it was an imessage
 Luke90 24 Sep 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

Makes sense. Just updated my original reply with some more suggestions before I saw your reply.
 Luke90 24 Sep 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

I imagine that iCloud should have some kind of list available of who's signed in where (eg. type of device, ip address). That would be worth looking at, if they do provide it. Try signing in to the iCloud website. You might be able to use it to log them out and/or inform Apple of the fraudulent access. (Though you should still change your password as well and look into enabling two-factor authentication, as well as my other previous suggestions.)

If you can't establish how they got access, you might want to consider changing other key passwords like main email accounts. You should certainly change any other accounts that shared the same password as iCloud.
In reply to Luke90:

Thanks - this is very helpful. I'm pretty useless at IT-type stuff and the iCloud scares the pants off me!
 Luke90 24 Sep 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

This article is slightly out of date but might give you some hints about how to sign them out:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/11/29/how-to-manage-your-icloud-securit...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...