UKC

A new low for casualties taking drugs on the hill?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 24 Sep 2017

We all make mistakes on the hill, me included, and most of those mistakes make for stories down the pub.

However is getting off your face on the highest hill and calling for help because you are too stoned, a new low for call outs?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-41377956
Post edited at 13:11
 marsbar 24 Sep 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Oh dear.

Perhaps a leaflet would help. Something along the lines of "take your sleeping bag and tent with you if you wish to get high up a mountain."

womblingfree 24 Sep 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

lightweights
 Flinticus 24 Sep 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Stuck in a white out?
 Robert Durran 24 Sep 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

New high surely.
 bouldery bits 24 Sep 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Words fail me.
 felt 24 Sep 2017
In reply to womblingfree:

> lightweights

Quite.

What you should be careful about, really, is taking too many hallucinogenics in a whiteout.

BnB 24 Sep 2017
In reply to felt:

> Quite.

> What you should be careful about, really, is taking too many hallucinogenics in a whiteout.

A, ahem, "friend" of mine once went, and I reflect that this was unadvisedly, from dropping a pill to chairlift in under 4 hours. Apparently, exiting the chair in a shower of technicolour snowflakes catching the low morning light was both magical and severely discombobulating. I don't remember the run down but for a difficulty in distinguishing left from right. Sorry, he doesn't, of course.
 Greasy Prusiks 24 Sep 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Does anyone know if mountain rescue are obliged to respond to a call?

Surely they don't have to respond to someone who finishes the call with "... oh and remember to bring those jaffa cakes."?!
OP The Lemming 24 Sep 2017
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:
> Does anyone know if mountain rescue are obliged to respond to a call?

Only the police have a duty to find missing people. They can then call upon any resources that they can to rescue people, including Mountain Rescue.

I may be wrong in this assumption.
Post edited at 17:12
 Jim Fraser 24 Sep 2017
In reply to The Lemming:
> Only the police have a duty to find missing people. They can then call upon any resources that they can to rescue people, including Mountain Rescue.

That's pretty much it. There are a few variations in how that is achieved across the UK's various jurisdictions and regions. Some of those variations relate to the different legal jurisdictions and some to different approaches to the use of police resources or integration with MRT.

The occasional need to rescue tw@ts is normal across all jurisdictions.
Post edited at 17:55
 DerwentDiluted 24 Sep 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

AED, check.
PulseOx, check
O2, check
Entonox, check
Fentanyl, check
Vac mat, check
Extra large pack of pringles.....
OP The Lemming 24 Sep 2017
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

> Extra large pack of pringles.....

Are the pringles for the inevitable munchies?
 Greasy Prusiks 24 Sep 2017
In reply to Jim Fraser:

Thanks Jim and Lemming.

Just interested to hear whether mountain rescue ever decline a call if they don't think the situation is serious enough to warrant one.
baron 24 Sep 2017
If they don't then they should.

Andypeak 24 Sep 2017

Yes they do. If you go on Wasdale mountain rescue Facebook page it says theybgot called out for some lost/stranded walkers on scafell pike over the weekend. Due to it being a warm and dry night they told th to sort it out and they walked themselves off in the day light the next day.
 Brass Nipples 24 Sep 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Do you not mean a new high?

DerwentDiluted 24 Sep 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

I'm sure those rescued will be very grateful, and may wish to show their gratitude.

Could anyone clarify, preferably in an interminable thread..

What are the protocols for tokes of appreciation for mountain rescue?
 birdie num num 24 Sep 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

MRT only went up to score some weed
 wilkie14c 25 Sep 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

they should have taken some downers with them for the descent
 wercat 25 Sep 2017
In reply to birdie num num:

I've noticed far more people walking along High Street recently - are they looking for something I ought to know about?
carlbullock 25 Sep 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Utterly bizarre!!! MRT's must have the patience of saints.
 Phil West 25 Sep 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

My 2p worth:

Anyone should be helped in their hour of need, regardless of the reasons they got there or the state they are in.

I have less sympathy for a well equipped party with lots of outdoor experience requiring MRT assistance than people with no equipment or experience who don't know any better.

Phil

Snowdave 25 Sep 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Couple of points:-

1. that fact that some one in the party managed to work a phone & ask for help means that either one person wasn't trying hard enough, or was the "sober safe nominated driver".

2. We are unusual in the world by having free MRT. In other parts of the world you either die or have to pay up, so people then think twice before setting out.

Maybe this is the problem, people just shrug shoulders & go "oh well MRT will taxi us home for free"....abuse of the system, like various other free systems/handouts in the UK, nice ideas, but now totally overloaded with requests from muppets...
 oldie 25 Sep 2017
In reply to Snowdave:

Basically agree with your points. However if people chose to risk it and then die/become injured there is quite possibly a bigger problem locating and dealing with them. Though as you imply there might be less 'muppets' in the first place if they knew there would be a large financial penalty.

nufkin 25 Sep 2017
In reply to birdie num num:

> MRT only went up to score some weed

Another reason they should get the same government support as the RNLI
 dread-i 25 Sep 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Isn't there a long and glorious tradition of taking drugs on the hill?
What about Coleridge and those romantic poets smacked out of their heads on laudanum. I believe I read an account of one of them new routing whilst off their heads. Some of our more literate members may be able to elaborate.

"I wandered lonely as a cloud, who floats on high ..."
"Of course you did sir. Could you just empty your pockets for me."

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...