UKC

Zero Chance Brext Makes Britain Richer...?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 26 Sep 2017

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/brexit-paul-krugman-zero-chance-...

''The invisible benefits of being part of the EU, the lack of friction [in exports and imports], seems to have had a significant impact on trade patterns,” he said. “You’re reversing that, so that’s a cost. That’s much more tangible than any pipe dreams about big gains elsewhere.” Mr Krugman, who is currently Professor of Economics at the City University of New York and is regularly featured at the top of lists of the most influential contemporary economists, said the costs of Brexit could be in the order of 2 per cent of GDP. “It’s not a huge cost ... but it is a cost,” he said. A study by economists at the London School of Economics has estimated the damage could be as great as 9.5 per cent of GDP if the UK leaves the EU without a free trade deal. EFT – formerly known as Economists for Brexit – have claimed that if the UK adopted a policy of “unilateral free trade”, essentially dropping all imports tariffs, the economy would grow more rapidly and living standards would rise. But such a policy would create major economic turmoil as sectors, such as farming and manufacturing, would suddenly face a flood of cheap imports from abroad. Moreover, major flaws in the calculations of the EFT group have been exposed. The Government has said the UK will ultimately leave the single market and customs union and that it wants to conclude a comprehensive free trade deal with the rest of the EU after Brexit. The value of sterling has been rising in recent weeks, but the pound remains well down on its level against the US dollar on the night of the Brexit referendum, when it experienced a record one-day drop as currency traders bet Brexit would inflict long-term harm on the economy. “A weaker pound is pretty much what you would expect – and appropriate,” said Mr Krugman. “If you’re going to do this thing then you do want a weaker pound.”
In reply to Timmd:

You read the Independent website?
OP Timmd 26 Sep 2017
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

Among a few, yes.
Lusk 26 Sep 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> Mr Krugman, who is currently Professor of Economics at the City University of New York and is regularly featured at the top of lists of the most influential contemporary economists, said the costs of Brexit could be in the order of 2 per cent of GDP. “It’s not a huge cost ... but it is a cost,” he said.

> A study by economists at the London School of Economics has estimated the damage could be as great as 9.5 per cent of GDP if the UK leaves the EU without a free trade deal.

Other 'experts' predict a 4.48% drop in GDP https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=671795
Quite a range there. Who do we believe?!
In reply to Timmd:

You have to be razor sharp clicking on a news story if you want to read it, usually a huge moving banner add explodes and you click on something else entirely. Well, I say something else entirely...it will still be an anti British self loathing article, or just completely bonkers.

Shocking web design, Evening Standard is the same

jethro kiernan 26 Sep 2017
In reply to Lusk:

If one expert says I will break my back jumping of a cliff and another says I'll break my leg and another says I'll just break my ankle my inclination would be to not jump off the cliff despite the differences in opinion of the "experts"
pasbury 26 Sep 2017
In reply to Lusk:

> Quite a range there.

All negative though
Jimbocz 26 Sep 2017
In reply to jethro kiernan:

> If one expert says I will break my back jumping of a cliff and another says I'll break my leg and another says I'll just break my ankle my inclination would be to not jump off the cliff despite the differences in opinion of the "experts"

But what if somebody promised you £350 million to jump? I bet you’d do it then.
 Mr Lopez 26 Sep 2017
In reply to Jimbocz:

> If one expert says I will break my back jumping of a cliff and another says I'll break my leg and another says I'll just break my ankle my inclination would be to not jump off the cliff despite the differences in opinion of the "experts"

> But what if somebody promised you £350 million to jump? I bet you’d do it then.

You would if you were such a dotard™ that didn't thought of checking that broken back treatment will cost you £700 million, broken leg £500 million, and broken ankle £450 million.
 john arran 27 Sep 2017
In reply to Mr Lopez:

> You would if you were such a dotard™ that didn't thought of checking that broken back treatment will cost you £700 million, broken leg £500 million, and broken ankle £450 million.

... and that a good chunk of the promised £350m was your own money already!
... and another good chunk was for stuff you'll need to pay for once you've jumped off the cliff but was provided already beforehand.
 Pete Pozman 27 Sep 2017
In reply to Jimbocz:
> But what if somebody promised you £350 million to jump? I bet you’d do it then.

No. I've tried jumping off cliffs. No good ever came of it...
Post edited at 18:50

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...