UKC

kids waterproof jacket recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 hpil 26 Sep 2017
Looking for recommendations for decent waterproof jackets for our girls (11 and 8). They have worn out their sprayway elga jackets and those particular models aren't made anymore. Particularly looking for something with a decent hood - non-detachable, stiffened peak, adjustable face aperture, chin guard etc, so that the hood stays up in munro standard weather.
 John Kelly 26 Sep 2017
In reply to hpil:

Decathalon kit is worth a look, if inclement, wrap kids in 2 layers of decathalon waterproof (an insulated waterproof and cheap thin waterproof layer over the top) works in properly foul weather, basic but effective
In reply to hpil:

Yep Decathlon.

Stuart
 ballsac 27 Sep 2017
In reply to hpil:

mine are using Regatta stetch jackets - Allpoint i think... - they, and we, are very happy with them. the bright orange colour is excellent...
 mike123 27 Sep 2017
In reply to hpil:
As above , just got a well made with good material softshell for 8 year old for the ptiprincly sum of £16 , from decathlon . They had several waterproofs to , one of which would probably meet your needs
Post edited at 16:02
 Jim Walton 27 Sep 2017
In reply to hpil:

Spotty Otter stuff is absolutely brilliant. 1 set of Salopette bottom and jacket went through both my kids and is now onto their 3rd user.

Eldest is on another set.

They look great, work great, fully washerble and a sensible price.

http://www.spottyotter.co.uk
 John Kelly 27 Sep 2017
In reply to Jim Walton:
I don't think the prices are sensible
 Dave the Rave 27 Sep 2017
In reply to hpil:

Keela youth Munro jackets.
Normally about £100 each with a good deal. Waterproof, warm and the hood is class.
 Jim Walton 28 Sep 2017
In reply to John Kelly:

The 1st Spotty Otter Jacket we bought for our 4yr old cost $50. 5yrs old now, been used loads and loads. Washed loads. Still waterproof, still looks great still in use. I've had £200 Gore-Tex jackets that havn't lasted as long.
 Jon Greengrass 28 Sep 2017
In reply to Jim Walton:

I'll add that the Spotty Otter gear is very hard wearing, my 3 kids have used their Explorer jackets (waterproof down parks) as sledges on snow, ice and sand dunes. If we'd had more kids they would have lasted a couple more years as hand-me-downs easily.

The only downside is the non-adjustable hoods mean they probably aren't suitable for "Munro weather" as per the OPs request.
 John Kelly 28 Sep 2017
In reply to Jim Walton:
That's cheap as chips but the current price are quite high
http://www.spottyotter.co.uk/en/shop/kids-waterproof-fleece-lined-patrol-ra...
 Jon Greengrass 28 Sep 2017
In reply to John Kelly:

It is still significantly cheaper than an adult jacket with similar features.

John Kelly 28 Sep 2017
In reply to Jon Greengrass:
Don't get me wrong, great kit but there are much cheaper options out there. Not sure comparison with adult kit has any relevance, quite a different job.
Post edited at 12:41

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...