UKC

Going up Crib Goch alone first time

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
resource 26 Sep 2017
Hello everyone,

I have been aiming to complete the Snowdon horseshoe for some time. I originally planned to complete the walk with two friends of mine earlier in the year but they have both pulled out so I’m left to do it by myself. I’m thinking of going up in a couple of weeks from now. Having kept myself reasonably fit this year I don’t think the physical aspect will be too demanding. Only wanted to double check I cover myself from getting lost and If anyone can give me advice on what to look out for I’d appreciate it. Not quite sure how to tackle the pinnacles? I should add although a competent walker I have no experience of serious hill climbing. Appreciate any advice.

Roy.
 Dan Arkle 26 Sep 2017
In reply to resource:

If you are not the sort of person to freak out with the exposure, then attempt it in good weather and you should be fine. Go for it.

Its technically very easy, you'll need to use your hands occasionally, but mainly for balance.
 Dan Arkle 26 Sep 2017
In reply to resource:

Navigation is straightforward, there is a well worn path to the left (south) of the ridge crest all the way.
In reply to resource:

If you pick a nice day, you are unlikely to have the place to yourself, & then getting lost becomes even less likely. Great walk (with a little scrambling) in wonderful terrain with lofty positions & cracking views - enjoy it
Clauso 27 Sep 2017
In reply to resource:

Your statement of not having done 'serious hill climbing' is a concern. As others have already indicated, getting lost is unlikely to be an issue; however, I'd certainly class Crib Goch as a fairly serious hill walk. If you're not confident about scrambling and handling exposure, then it shouldn't be underestimated.
Post edited at 01:26
mysterion 27 Sep 2017
In reply to resource:
Don't try it a first time if it is in cloud, even though it is a ridge it is still possible to get lost if you cannot see your objective. The way up from Pyg track is a matter of following the wear marks from the first bwlch, the peak you can see ahead is the very start of the Crib Goch ridge, keep going straight up no matter what rather than trying to avoid by going too far one side or the other until you reach the start of the ridge (another ridge joins here from the right, that is not Crib Goch). On Crib Goch generally keep just to the left of the top. The pinnacles are three in number bunched together near the end of the ridge, go left avoiding the first, go left then along a narrow shelf and up onto the second, go right up a rock staircase then up onto the third next to the spike. Then across the grassy bwlch (escape route here, left down to Pyg track with care) on to Crib y Ddysgl, start off to the left but go up high as soon as you can up a sort of chimney, keep high until you get to the trig point of Garnedd Ugain then join the path to Snowdon. The other side of the horseshoe is easier, make sure you start off down the Watkin path, but you need to be able to see what your objectives are or you will get lost
Post edited at 02:00
 Simon Caldwell 27 Sep 2017
In reply to resource:

It's perfectly possible to get lost - I was once asked when descending the top of the Pyg track whether they were almost at the bottom of the Crib Goch scramble.

And if you're not thinking, it's easy to turn right instead of left at the top of Carnedd Ugain.
resource 27 Sep 2017
In reply to resource:

Thank you all for the responses, greatly appreciated.

Having read through each one carefully I now feel a lot more confident and am definitely (weather permitting) going to give it a go. For sure the level of exposure is something new to me but I think I’ll enjoy it once I’m up there, If not I’ll just get my head down!. Reason I asked about the pinnacles is because I read somewhere that one must go over them and not around them. In hindsight it might not have been referring to all of them, so, using the advice from here, particularly Mysterion’s very helpful post, I shall proceed as suggested. I shall pace myself accordingly and keep a map close to hand!

Thanks again everyone.

Roy.

P.s (Great advice Mysterion, now copied and will print and take with me)
In reply to resource:

If you are in any doubt, you can go directly over the top of the pinnacles and it isn't actually any more difficult (sometimes easier) than going around the sides, it just feels more exposed, especially as you can't see the way down the other side.
 splat2million 27 Sep 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> It's perfectly possible to get lost

Indeed I believe there's a sheep track about half way along that seems to lead off the main ridge that have gotten people into trouble (and caused an occasional serious or even fatal fall). Remember to stick to the main ridge all the way along.

In dry calm conditions with good visibility it's a piece of cake but those without experience of exposure and scrambling can easily find themselves out of their depth in marginal conditions.

PaulGraham 28 Sep 2017
I'd like to just echo Darren Jackson's comment re "Your statement of not having done 'serious hill climbing' is a concern."

I'd not disagree with any of the replies and most folk with a bit of experience will get around OK on a nice day. But I am reminded of a day many years ago when I took a friend up Snowdon and planned a descent via Crib Goch. We had nearly descended Garnedd Ugain and could see the splendour of Crib Goch ahead when my friend said "By the way, did I ever tell you I suffered from vertigo?" Needless to say we improvised Plan B on the spot! So if your hill experience includes a ridge or two with a bit of exposure (e,g, Striding Edge) then fine. Else maybe get that experience first.

Sounds like you're planning Crib Goch / Snowdon / Lliwedd. IMO this is nicer than the other way around. It's a great day out - enjoy!

Removed User 28 Sep 2017
In reply to resource:

Hi Roy - I note a couple of your pals have ducked out.

The fellas I walk with don't particularly like anything over and a above a good strenuous walk - whereas I enjoy my walk a bit more tricky.. I can see it moving on quite quickly to climbing, but happy with the I/II scrambles for now.

No pressure, but Crib Goch is on my to do list this year so if you want a meet a the foot of the Hill on your chosen day (Assuming I can swing the day off) - Give us a shout.

Done Striding & Jacks Rake in the last 4 weeks so I'm feeling fairly comfortable with it. Interestingly , it was Striding Edge that put the other lads off the scrambling side of walking.

Anyways, leave it with you.

As I say, no pressure i

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...