UKC

PSA: 'Why not hang out with a group of elderly punters?'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Valkyrie1968 27 Sep 2017
Just a quick thought for those sickos who, for some utterly bizarre reason, trawl the Lifts & Partners forum when not actively looking for climbing partners: If you're going to engage in your deviancy that's one thing, but please - for the love of all that we as a community hold dear - stop replying to 'I'm looking for regular partners' threads with an inane suggestion about joining this or that club.

It's completely useless due to the fact that A: anyone who is actively looking for partners is already aware of the clubs in their area (on the basis that those who are able to make their way onto this website are also capable of doing a basic Google search) and B: climbing clubs don't generally do much climbing, but more importantly it gives false hope: You check back on your UKC thread, brimming with the optimistic belief that the perfect partner will have seen it and replied, eager to get out - only instead you're met with the news that a group of cliquey punters get together once a week to toprope a few routes at the local indoor wall before heading to the pub for a vaguely depressing pint which is accompanied by stupefyingly tedious conversation about the forthcoming (which is to say next summer) trip to North Wales to yet again have one day on Tryfan (queuing up Grooved Arete, naturally) and one day at Idwal (Tennis Shoe for the big lads of the group, done in a record time of seven hours), or who isn't pulling their weight as treasurer.

Signed

Those of us who use the Lifts & Partners forum in order to actually go climbing
Deadeye 27 Sep 2017
In reply to Valkyrie1968:

Given that your posting history shows that you have neither initiated nor replied to any lifts and partners threads, presumably you're just a sicko who, for some utterly bizarre reason, trawl the Lifts & Partners forum when not actively looking for climbing partners?
 planetmarshall 27 Sep 2017

Good rant. Liked the 'treasurer' remark. 7/10, or roughly 0.6 David Mitchells.
 GrahamD 27 Sep 2017

I can see why you don't like clubs very much.

What with your light hearted personality and everything.
In reply to GrahamD:

> I can see why you don't like clubs very much.

Somewhat ironic given the username.
Andy Gamisou 27 Sep 2017
In reply to Deadeye:

> Given that your posting history shows that you have neither initiated nor replied to any lifts and partners threads....

I think they are archived after a month or two. Maybe he (or she) has been festering a resentment from before that. Can't beat a spot of festering. Or has another ukc account.

spenser 27 Sep 2017
You clearly haven't spent much time around the same clubs as me (Loughborough Students' Mountaineering Club, London Mountaineering Club, Northumbrian Mountaineering Club, Oread Mountaineering Club and the Climber's Club). They all have active meets programs to a wide variety of places with a wide variety of ability levels to suit whatever you have planned. I have personally met some of my best friends through these clubs and done the vast majority of my climbing with them.
I have previously suggested that people looking for partners in the Derby area would be welcome to come and meet the Oread as it is a friendly and welcoming club.
If you would like a chat about what real mountaineering clubs do please feel free to message me.
Before you jump to any conclusions I am a 25 year old bloke, I have been climbing for 5 years and have been out climbing 4 out of every 5 weekends this year up to a standard of E2, hardly the image of a club member which you put forward. Do I also go to the pub after the wall? Yes, the beer is pretty good in there actually, do I top rope at the wall, almost never... Do we discuss a planned summer trip to the alps? Occasionally, although more often we are making plans for what to do the coming weekend.
Post edited at 15:04
 Rog Wilko 27 Sep 2017

This is the most absurd rant I've seen on here in a while. You bring out the most ridiculous stereotypes which are inapplicable to most of the clubs I belong to or know anything about. Lancs Climbing & Caving for example is full of keen climbers of all abilities up to mid E-grades who climb in almost all weathers throughout the year. We barely miss a weekend all year and average 2 evenings outdoors in summer, indoors in winter. We have winter meets in Norway or Alps, summer Alps trips, foreign sport meets, trips to Morocco - I'll stop there, it's getting tedious. We have a lot of experienced members willing to encourage the relative novice.
Two things surprise me
1 the number of likes you've got
2 why you should go so apeshit over such a trivial matter.
You must have had a really bad experience with a club, but most of them bear absolutely no relationship to your description. Still, I expect you feel better for disposing of all that bile.
 GrahamD 27 Sep 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> You must have had a really bad experience with a club, but most of them bear absolutely no relationship to your description. Still, I expect you feel better for disposing of all that bile.

Probably chucked out of one for being an arse and is now in search of a like minded loner .
 Rog Wilko 27 Sep 2017
In reply to spenser:

Glad to hear the Oread has changed its spots. They weren't very friendly 40 years ago.
 drolex 27 Sep 2017

Excellent topic. Have you thought about joining our debate club? We like to get all sweaty about trivial matters and then we go to drink a pint at our local pub where we discuss the influence of atheist cyclists on Brexit. What fun.
 spenser 27 Sep 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I can't really speak for the club then, however some of the members have suggested the club changed a lot in the '90s.
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> This is the most absurd rant I've seen on here in a while. You bring out the most ridiculous stereotypes which are inapplicable to most of the clubs I belong to or know anything about.

Maybe he's referring to one of the clubs that you don't belong to or know anything about? Which, if you think about it, is overwhelmingly likely.
 d_b 27 Sep 2017
Have you considered joining a club? If you did then you may not need to use the lifts & partners section so much.
Post edited at 16:32
 Tigger 27 Sep 2017

I get that there is a stigma surrounding clubs however I believe that it's well worth joining, I did at 24. Yes the average age was a little higher than mine but gaining experience from people who've been in the game for decades is invaluable. And while there are a few punters (naff term really, never look down on some one just because they're climbing for different reasons than yourself) a good few have or still are pushing their grade. No to mention the stories they have saved up to tell you over that post wall pint.
I suppose we as a club are fortunate though, our club of 100 members has a brilliant hut in North Wales and a fair few new members feeding in through the local university.
 Mike Stretford 27 Sep 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> Two things surprise me

> 1 the number of likes you've got

It's a troll, not without some wit, and he's really playing to the gallery. I disliked it, it's snide and he's shooting fish in a barrel.
 Rog Wilko 27 Sep 2017
In reply to spenser:

> ... some of the members have suggested the club changed a lot in the '90s.

It wouldn't still exist if it hadn't. Attract new members or die.
 Rog Wilko 27 Sep 2017
In reply to Mike Stretford:

> It's a troll, not without some wit, and he's really playing to the gallery. I disliked it, it's snide and he's shooting fish in a barrel.

OK, well I fell for it. I agree with your "snide" comment, though. Thoroughly unpleasant.
OP Valkyrie1968 27 Sep 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> Thoroughly unpleasant.

I'm not entirely sure what's "thoroughly unpleasant" about a pastiche that's so riddled with crass stereotyping and hyperbole that it seems on the verge of collapsing in on itself, but there we go - I'd rather hoped that the overblown ranting would clue readers in to the fact that it wasn't exactly serious, but never mind. I apologise to anyone who was offended, although I'd like to point out that - seeing as I didn't single out any particular club - anyone who is offended likely is because there's some grain of truth to my words; if there weren't, they wouldn't provoke reactions that involve calling a stranger an "arse" or a "loser".

My point here wasn't to disparage the very existence of climbing clubs but to discuss the bizarre phenomenon of people replying to posts in the Lifts & Partners forum with information regarding clubs, on the basis that people posting in that forum aren't looking for information, but specific people to climb with. The thesis, then, was that such contributions are off-topic; deliciously ironic, given how far this thread has diverted from its intended subject...
 1poundSOCKS 27 Sep 2017

> but specific people to climb with

If you want to climb with somebody specific, why not contact them directly?
 Mike Stretford 27 Sep 2017

> My point here wasn't to disparage the very existence of climbing clubs but to discuss the bizarre phenomenon of people replying to posts in the Lifts & Partners forum with information regarding clubs, on the basis that people posting in that forum aren't looking for information, but specific people to climb with.

Chill yer boots, they give a useful bump to threads that will fall out of view quickly, and people who are really keen will email.

Misha 27 Sep 2017
If someone is asking for a partner to climbing in X area on Y date, suggesting a club clearly isn't helpful. If someone is asking for partners in general to climb in X area, suggesting a local club is sensible.
 Rog Wilko 27 Sep 2017

Well, as I said, I fell for it. Still not sure why you'd post it but sense of humour is a very personal thing. Or my lack of one at the moment results from suddenly being a bit unwell. Hope I haven't caused too much offence.
Andy Gamisou 28 Sep 2017

I think anyone looking for any advice tends to get a few responses of the sort you refer to. If you ask something along the lines "What's the best way of doing X" then you're pretty certain to quickly get a "Why do you want to do X, you should be doing Y" type of reply. Irksome.
 GrahamD 28 Sep 2017
In reply to Hugh Mongous:

>"Why do you want to do X, you should be doing Y" type of reply. Irksome.

Is it Irksome ? I'm just glad people have found the time to contribute what they thought might be a useful and constructive alternative. You have to remember that the original questions are not always phrased in the least ambiguous way or written by very experienced people who know what they should ask.
Andy Gamisou 28 Sep 2017
In reply to GrahamD:

> Is it Irksome ?

Yes. Although admittedly I am easily irked, which I find in itself irksome.

Fruit 28 Sep 2017
In reply to spenser:
Yep can confirm that, he is a bloke, he is in climbing clubs and I abbed into a sea cliff neither of us had ever visited last weekend. Beer was drunk afterwards and plans were made for rock routes, winter trips and new routing in Africa. Clubs? great idea!
Post edited at 08:31
 pebbles 28 Sep 2017
In reply to Fruit:

I can confirm that fruit is a bloke, not the seed-bearing structure of a flowering plant. I heard that him and Spenser spent most of the day in Petes Eats necking mugs of tea, chips and cake whilst photoshopping themselves into pictures of Rhoscolyn
 spenser 28 Sep 2017
In reply to pebbles:

Oi! That was sunday and Llanymynech! There was also a deficiency of chips and cake, there are holes in this story...
 pebbles 28 Sep 2017
In reply to spenser:

so just sipping tea then. Lightweights.
 Martin Bennett 28 Sep 2017

Anyway, troll or not, hands off elderly punters.

So pleased am I to be one, therefore proving that after 52 years climbing I'm still alive, in more senses than the literal, I'm thinking of re-vamping Vinegar Joe's (and thus Elkie Brooks and Robert Palmers') finest recording "Proud to be a Honky Woman" as "Proud to be an Elderly Punter".

Just gotta work on the lyrics, which will undoubtedly include disparaging remarks about every echelon of climbing society save my own brew drinking, pie-eating, club-joining, picnic-enjoying, slow-crag-approaching, VS-climbing, beer-appreciating elderly punters.

Where's the bar?
 Rog Wilko 28 Sep 2017
In reply to Martin Bennett:

Like your style, Martin.
 Mick Ward 28 Sep 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Don't we just! Punters of the world unite...

Mick
 Martin Bennett 28 Sep 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Thanks Rog. Time we punted together again.
 Mike Hewitt 29 Sep 2017
When did ukc get funny?

To all the snowflakes, a little bit of sattire is healthy.
 d_b 29 Sep 2017
In reply to Mike Hewitt:

Snowflakes you say?

Does that mean the downfall is in?
 Mike Stretford 29 Sep 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:

> Does that mean the downfall is in?

It was a bit chilly in Manchester the other night. Take a bit of 'sattire' with you, it's good for you apparently.
 Rog Wilko 29 Sep 2017
In reply to Martin Bennett:

Yes. A bit under the weather at the mo, but yes. Will drop you a line sometime.
 deepsoup 29 Sep 2017

This thread's been moved and re-titled hasn't it? I'm probably just being dim but what does "PSA" stand for?
 Rog Wilko 29 Sep 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

> This thread's been moved and re-titled hasn't it? I'm probably just being dim but what does "PSA" stand for?

Prostate specific antigen?
That's an elderly male punter's response, anyway.
 deepsoup 29 Sep 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:
> That's an elderly male punter's response, anyway.

Are you a Portly Slow Ascensionist?
 Rog Wilko 29 Sep 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

I object to portly.
 deepsoup 29 Sep 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Pensive? Ponderous?
Oh dear, not pugnacious I hope?
 Rog Wilko 30 Sep 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

I'd go with pensive, but I suspect my friends (if any) would go for pugnacious.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...