UKC

NEWSFLASH: One dead in massive El Capitan rockfall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 28 Sep 2017
El Capitan, 4 kbA rockfall "the size of an apartment building" fell from El Capitan's East Buttress yesterday afternoon, killing a person and injuring one other. September is the middle of the climbing season and the rockfall was witnessed by many people, including at least 30 people that were on the wall at the time.

Read more
 Garston 28 Sep 2017
In reply to UKC News:

A few more pictures on Russia Today. I have no idea how to link this but worth a search. Hope no more casualties, all the best, Chris
 Chris Sansum 28 Sep 2017
In reply to UKC News:

An acquaintance out there is under the impression that the 2 people involved were climbers from Wales.

Tragic news - thinking of all those involved and affected by this.

Chris
 Lemony 28 Sep 2017
In reply to Chris Sansum:

That matches what PTPP has said on Supertopo. Sad news.
 DanOsb 28 Sep 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Just been chatting with a pal who was 2 pitches up a route on the SE face not far from where the rockfall happened and saw the whole thing, he also thinks the people involved are from wales. Says that he saw a female at the base looking in a bad way (injured i presume). Anybody know of a welsh couple in the valley currently? hopefully not!
 DanOsb 28 Sep 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Further to what I said before I just read this which confirms that the climbers are British. Sad news.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/news/additional-information-on-rockfall-in-y...
 Andy Fielding 29 Sep 2017
In reply to Andy Fielding:

Just read that another, bigger rock fall occurred today 28/09. This time the debris went as far as the road.

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=3014875&tn=120
 summo 29 Sep 2017
In reply to UKC News:

A few news sites are suggesting it's a Welsh couple injured. Can't find any reference anywhere else other than on here.

Might worth presuming the press trawl relevant forums for news and consider how we post. Don't want the press to cut the corner, before someone has reached their families formally.
 Eve.G 29 Sep 2017
 Doug 29 Sep 2017
In reply to Andy Fielding:

The climber killed has been identified as Andrew Foster from Wales
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/sep/28/yosemite-second-rockfall-el...
 summo 29 Sep 2017
In reply to queenmargo:

Thanks. That article was timelined 12hrs after the post here. I just think we need to be a little careful in this modern world of high speed comms.
 Ian Parsons 29 Sep 2017
In reply to summo:
< Can't find any reference anywhere else other than on here.>

I think the earliest such reference was the one on SuperTopo yesterday at 12:11 am Pacific Time, from "hendo". Sounded credible.

Removed User 29 Sep 2017
In reply to UKC News:

A very unfortunate incident. The BBC link had a surprising statistic: first death from rockfall in 18 years. I think that is a testament to the quality of the rock in Yosemite when you consider the number of climbers.
 mattrm 29 Sep 2017
In reply to UKC News:

I wouldn't say I knew Andy particularly well, but the times I did meet him at the local shop and at the crag made a great impression on me. He was a really nice friendly guy and very passionate about his climbing. He also was kind enough to rescue some gear of mine from a VS which I'd made a right meal of. I remember watching him climb the route very smoothly and in great style and chatting to his now wife, who was a lovely person as well. I really hope that she recovers from her injuries as quickly as possible. Looking at the photos (assuming it was her being put into the chopper) it seems like she was at least awake and didn't look too battered, so fingers firmly crossed there.

Such a terrible accident and a great loss.
 Stone Muppet 29 Sep 2017
Andy, an inspirational guy and I think the only one of my mates to own a portaledge. And like you say, always willing to help out - I type this sat right next to a pair of skis he helped me set up. With his various jobs I'm guessing he'll be known by a lot of the climbing community, a tragic loss for many of us.
 dougair 29 Sep 2017
In reply to UKC News: Absolutely heartbreaking, thought's with their family and friends. If it's any small consolation, they were doing what they loved. Hope Lucy makes a full recovery.

BALD EAGLE 29 Sep 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Desperately sad news so deepest condolences to Andrew's friends, family and loved ones whilst wishing Lucy a full recovery.
 SenzuBean 29 Sep 2017
In reply to UKC News:

https://www.camandbearuk.com/ <- Their blog.
 Sam B 29 Sep 2017
In reply to UKC News:

I wish I could find the right words to say. It sounds like Andy made a real contribution to the British climbing community, and will be sorely missed. Words fail us.
 pneame 29 Sep 2017
In reply to SenzuBean:

That blog makes it even sadder.
 mark s 29 Sep 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Very sad news. Sounds like a really nice chap.brings home what we do isn't as safe as we try and convince ourselves
Thoughts with family and wife
 Greenbanks 29 Sep 2017
In reply to pneame:
I don't agree. Check the photos (I am sure you have) . These were lives replete with joy, spirit, adventure, absolute connectedness and driven by being in wild places. The photos show that. Massively sad, heartbreaking. But the blog is testament to their fulfilment.

I didn't know them at all, and so feel a bit fraudulent for writing what I've written about them. But I feel impelled to, it is just so sad, and yet captures what draws us all to the hill. Sorry.
Post edited at 20:32
 sg 29 Sep 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Very sad, very unlucky. Condolences to wife and family. I hope she recovers physically and emotionally, in time.
 pneame 29 Sep 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

Totally agree - the sadness is for the ending, not the beginning. I didn't know them either but I was struck forcibly by the randomness of it.
There's a nice comment on SuperTopo about the courage of the YOSAR folks going into the rockfall zone knowing that more loose stuff was bound to come down at some point.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...