UKC

House sized Asteroid to make close pass of Earth on Thursday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Brass Nipples 10 Oct 2017
A house sized Asteroid is to pass by Earth at a distance slughtly further out than the geostationary satellites. It is happening Thursday morning.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/oct/10/house-sized-asteroid-will-p...
Clauso 10 Oct 2017
In reply to Lion Bakes:

I'll probably get gazumped on that too
Lusk 10 Oct 2017
In reply to Lion Bakes:

Is there any possibility it'll hit Horseshoe Quarry?
It'd would save an awful lot of forum time.
OP Brass Nipples 10 Oct 2017
In reply to Lion Bakes:

We might get EarthExit
 DerwentDiluted 10 Oct 2017
In reply to Lusk:

> Is there any possibility it'll hit Horseshoe Quarry?

>that would be terrible, it would scatter loose rock everywhere, leave routes dangerous tottering piles of fractured dust, leave a huge unsightly hole in the ground....

Awful thought.

alx 10 Oct 2017
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

> >that would be terrible, it would scatter loose rock everywhere, leave routes dangerous tottering piles of fractured dust, leave a huge unsightly hole in the ground....

> Awful thought.

The dogging opportunities wouldn’t be effected, so Eyam and Stoney will still be well served
 Pekkie 10 Oct 2017
In reply to Lion Bakes:

NASA had a planned space mission - The Asteroid Redirect Mission - which would have been the first attempt to practice redirecting an asteroid and in the future saving the planet. Guess what Trump cancelled as soon as he was sworn in? Not NAFTA, the climate agreement or the Iran deal...
 broken spectre 11 Oct 2017
In reply to Lion Bakes:

I wonder if life is seeded galactically by giant blocks of ice harbouring simple life that have been blasted off alien planets by rocks like this?
OP Brass Nipples 11 Oct 2017
In reply to broken spectre:

There is such a theory about the origins of life on Earth I believe. Asteroids and comets, both bringers and extinguishes of life.

Red Rover 11 Oct 2017
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

Yes but what if it hits?
 GrahamD 11 Oct 2017
In reply to Red Rover:

It'll improve the housing crisis by 1 house, I guess, as well as wiping out the dinosaurs
 Pyreneenemec 11 Oct 2017
In reply to Red Rover:

> Yes but what if it hits?

This one simply isn't big enough !

What the planet needs is a fresh start, without humanity. An asteroid the size of the one that hit Yucatan is the answer, but these would appear to be very few and far between.

It would be an exciting moment, witnessing the end of humanity !
 Pedro50 11 Oct 2017
In reply to Pyreneenemec:

The Yellowstone super volcano is due any minute
 Offwidth 11 Oct 2017
In reply to Pedro50:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_Caldera

" The U.S. Geological Survey, University of Utah and National Park Service scientists with the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory maintain that they "see no evidence that another such cataclysmic eruption will occur at Yellowstone in the foreseeable future.Recurrence intervals of these events are neither regular nor predictable."[3] "
Post edited at 19:25
 summo 11 Oct 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/yellowstone/faqs_future_activity.html

Or the mathematical model, where it's statistically likely to erupt in the next 180,000yrs.

So in the life of planet that is imminent. For humans, plenty other things could destroy us by then.
 aln 11 Oct 2017

> It would be an exciting moment, witnessing the end of humanity !

Unless you were at the impact point or very close to it, it wouldn't be a moment. It would be a long drawn out nightmare of cold, starvation, and murder. Exciting times!

Pedro50 11 Oct 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

> " The U.S. Geological Survey, University of Utah and National Park Service scientists with the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory maintain that they "see no evidence that another such cataclysmic eruption will occur at Yellowstone in the foreseeable future.Recurrence intervals of these events are neither regular nor predictable."[3] "

Whew! I will sleep more easily tonight. Thanks
 broken spectre 11 Oct 2017
In reply to aln:

> Unless you were at the impact point or very close to it, it wouldn't be a moment. It would be a long drawn out nightmare of cold, starvation, and murder. Exciting times!

Unless you were in the ISS, then it would be hilarious!
 Pekkie 11 Oct 2017

> What the planet needs is a fresh start, without humanity.

Maybe. We could start by getting rid of you and see how things go before scaling it up.

aln 11 Oct 2017

> Unless you were in the ISS, then it would be hilarious!

They wouldn't last long without re-supplies. Cheery subject!
 wercat 12 Oct 2017
In reply to Lion Bakes:

are we there yet?
 broken spectre 12 Oct 2017
In reply to Lion Bakes:

...and incase anyone's interested. Here it is! youtube.com/watch?v=xU2FiNHPVoU&
Lusk 12 Oct 2017

Are they sure that's not Carl Fredricksen's house that's gone too high and ended up in space?
 broken spectre 12 Oct 2017
In reply to Lusk:

I had to google "Carl Fredrickson" on account of being an adult and having grown out of Disney films.
OP Brass Nipples 12 Oct 2017
In reply to wercat

> are we there yet?

Yep, passed over Antarctica.
 nufkin 13 Oct 2017

> being an adult and having grown out of Disney films.

What you talking? Forced childlessness, bereavement and unfulfilled ambitions are about as adult as they come
 aln 13 Oct 2017

> being an adult and having grown out of Disney films.

I'm an adult and I see Disney films. I take my child with me...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...