UKC

Indoor walls near The Ariege

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 hms 17 Oct 2017
We're off to the Ariege for the weekend but it looks like the weather might seriously crap out on us. I have a feeling that there is an extremely large indoor wall somewhere in the area (not in Toulouse) but I can't find it in the UKC directory - could anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
 TimB 17 Oct 2017
In reply to hms:

Don't think there's much in the way of public walls in the Ariege, but a few that are used by local clubs (Pandemonium in Foix, the leading wall in Auzat spring to mind).

There are a lot of walls in Toulouse (Altissimo, Block'Out, Startin Bloc), and there's a large wall in Belcaire just in the Aude - normally I think you need a national federation licence for the leading, but not the bouldering or something like that. Although this Saturday they're having a combined format competition - speed (on a proper speedclimbing wall with the official holds), bouldering and leading : http://belcairescalade.fr/2017/09/28/olympiade-verticale-2017/
 john arran 17 Oct 2017
In reply to hms:

I can't add much to that regarding walls, since I never go to walls in Ariège (we have a good training wall at Chez Arran), but I've just looked at the forecast for the weekend and it doesn't seem that bad to me. Certainly seems mixed, at worst.
Add to that the number of sheltered crags, and I certainly wouldn't be expecting to have to go indoors to find good climbing. My top recommendation would be Genat, for all grades 6a+ upwards but better in the 7s. Other alternatives include Les Toulousains, Grotte de Sabart and Petite Grotte (at Alliat) - this last one is right next to one of Ariège's premier grade 7 crags, Passe Muraille, so if it clears up, or if it looks threatening, you can easily switch sectors to get the best routes at any time.

It's extremely rare that no climbing is possible in Ariège if you're climbing grade 7s.
OP hms 17 Oct 2017
In reply to john arran:

many thanks for that. We are indeed looking for low to mid 7s. The forecast I looked at last night was showing heavy rain, so if it turns out to be better I'd be utterly delighted. We've been to the Ariege twice before, both times at easter, and had really bad weather both times so feel it owes us somewhat!!
 john arran 17 Oct 2017
In reply to hms:

I find the most reliable forecast is http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-france/ornolac-ussat-les-bains/...
which is currently showing dry from Friday morning through to Saturday evening, then only showers on Sunday. Of course, the timing might change as it's still a few days off, but certainly doesn't look disastrous at all.

I hope you have a good time.
 mrchewy 17 Oct 2017
In reply to hms:

Genat is a stunning crag, well worth the drive up the hill! Not climbed there in the rain but it has to be pretty sheltered. Much better than it looks in the guide.
 john arran 18 Oct 2017
In reply to mrchewy:

> Genat is a stunning crag, well worth the drive up the hill! Not climbed there in the rain but it has to be pretty sheltered. Much better than it looks in the guide.

And only a 3-minute walk-in too. What's not to like?
 john arran 22 Oct 2017
In reply to hms:

How was it? Did you get much done in the end?
(I'm away on a contract so I have nothing but the online forecast to go on, but it ended up showing only occasional showers, albeit for both days of the weekend.)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...