UKC

40D(ish) jacket for winter mountaineering - too thin?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PPP 17 Oct 2017
For many years I have been using two jackets:
* Mountain Equipment Morpheus (50D/70D) for winter mountaineering: easy winter soloing and walking. I used it during the summer where I would be wearing a heavier rucksack (camping, bothies, etc.)
* Montane Aero Event Pullover (15D) for decent weather summer walks and rides. It's half the weight of Morpheus, but not the most durable - though it survived 3 years already!

The Morpheus is getting quite worn out now (bought second hand 4 years or so ago). I bought an Adidas Terrex Feather Gore-Tex Pro jacket, which is just over 400g and I can only assume 40D (minimal requirement for Gore-Tex Pro). I am now having second thoughts whether heavier rucksack and general winter abrasion won't damage it too quickly? Or maybe the Morpheus was an overkill?

P.S. The reason I bought the Adidas jacket was the price - £70 brand new from a non-outdoors shop. It has all the bells and whistles I needed and I am happy with the fit. If I don't find it useful for winter stuff, I can always use it for summer/pub.
 bouldery bits 17 Oct 2017
In reply to PPP:

I would guess that it won't last that long with that sort of use.

OP PPP 19 Oct 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

That's what I am thinking as well. I am just not sure for how long since Morpheus was bomproof, but the liner is getting a bit worn out and it was lacking pit zips I wanted (or so I justified my upgraditis).
 Billhook 20 Oct 2017
In reply to PPP: you've got it now. Use it when you want to. There's plenty of life in you if not the jacket.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...