UKC

Best travel laptop

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Matthew786 29 Oct 2017
Hi
I am looking for best travel laptop for myself but problem is I did not have any idea about them. I didn’t know about their specification and didn’t even know from where I can buy it. Please do suggest me some good laptops that looks perfect and gives outstanding experience in my hands.one more thing, is there any laptop company that provides insurance with the laptop? I have to travel around the globe, so my laptop is the only thing I like the most after my wife.
Thanks
 Doug 29 Oct 2017
In reply to Matthew786:

What do you want to do on it ? just browsing the web or serious number crunching? Personally I have MacBook Air which is light & has enough 'power' for dealing with spreadsheets & GIS. Someone will come along & say Macs are overpriced & maybe they are, but the equivalents didn't seem much cheaper at the time.

But previously I had a very cheap Asus which for just browsing the web, checking email, etc was fine.
 Dax H 29 Oct 2017
In reply to Matthew786:

I use a Lenovo 10 inch job with a solid state hard drive.
Not very powerful but over the years it has survived around 10k miles in the top box of my motorbike without fault.
 john arran 29 Oct 2017
In reply to Matthew786:

I was in the market for something similar - albeit with pretty high performance - earlier this year. I ended up getting a Lenovo Yoga 710 with i7 processor and 256Gb SSD. Seemed like the best priced machine with high enough spec for me. So far I've been very pleased with it, so certainly worth considering along with any other recommendations you receive.
In reply to Matthew786:
I went to the States a few years back and wanted a small laptop to use for browsing, email & backup for my photos. I spent £80 on a refurbished Lenovo Thinkpad that worked really well and has become my travel laptop of choice. I figured that if it got nicked it wasn't a great loss - having said that I am now so attached to it that it would!
 Ciro 29 Oct 2017
In reply to Matthew786:

What sort of travelling are we talking here... sitting around in hotels or will you be taking on Extreme Challenges like the Infamous Bosigran Ridge. If it's the latter, you'll need something that can survive the harshest of conditions, I'd suggest one of these: https://www.ballicom.co.uk/getac-ve51tsk4bgxx-.p1359373.html?ref=PLA&gc...
 Sir Chasm 29 Oct 2017
In reply to Matthew786:

Have you been looking at a particular website? Perhaps you could post a link to that site and people here could have a look and make some recommendations.
 Blue Straggler 29 Oct 2017
In reply to Matthew786:

Is this some weird data mining scam?
XXXX 30 Oct 2017
In reply to Blue Straggler:

My guess is someone else new will come and recommend exactly what they're looking for soon...
 Cú Chullain 30 Oct 2017
In reply to Dax H:

I took a Lenovo notebook around Africa with me, that survived dust, humidity, crap roads and being dropped and general abuse. It was not very powerful (this was five years ago) but was great for firing off emails, photo storage, skype calls home, using GPS software etc. It cost less then £200 back then.
 Paulos 30 Oct 2017
In reply to Matthew786:
Check out the Asus Zenbook, it's like a MacBook but half the price. I got one last year, so powerful yet so light and small. Also the battery life is incredible. Overall it is perfect for travelling, so I'm a very happy customer.
Post edited at 08:55
In reply to john arran:

I have a Lenovo Yoga 900, which seems to work very well. I also have a seven-year old Toshiba Protege, which still hasn't given out. I tend to take that one on all my travels, because it is the more expendable.
 ben b 30 Oct 2017

Yep - we don’t seem great at spotting the obvious spammer.

New profile no posts, now one tangential random unrelated with poor grammar. It’s either Sav or spam.

B
 ben b 30 Oct 2017

Yep - we don’t seem great at spotting the obvious spammer.

New profile no posts, now one tangential random unrelated with poor grammar. It’s either Sav or spam.

B
 RomTheBear 31 Oct 2017
In reply to Matthew786:
> Hi

> I am looking for best travel laptop for myself but problem is I did not have any idea about them. I didn’t know about their specification and didn’t even know from where I can buy it. Please do suggest me some good laptops that looks perfect and gives outstanding experience in my hands.one more thing, is there any laptop company that provides insurance with the laptop? I have to travel around the globe, so my laptop is the only thing I like the most after my wife.

> Thanks

Well I just got myself the new dell XPS 13 and it’s great.
The edge to edge quad hd display is fantastic, and keeps everything in a small package.
The performance from the new 8th gen i7 + pcie ssd is impressive.
Post edited at 06:36
 Blue Straggler 31 Oct 2017
In reply to ben b:

Yet so far there's no obvious spam from this one. I thought Irk The Purist's suggestion was bang on the money. Maybe they just hit loads of forums and sometimes forget to do the follow-up, if it is actually a manual process (or maybe an automated spambot for the OP and a manual reply from someone trawling through the log of what's been hit)
 Luke90 01 Nov 2017

I assumed that the OP contained a link the spammer wanted us to follow and UKC allowed the post but blocked the link. Only a guess, though.
 ben b 01 Nov 2017

There were about 20 spam posts early yesterday that I reported (I guess overseas posters see the middle of the night spam posts most often and report them). Not sure if it was related or not...

cheers

b
 Mark Edwards 02 Nov 2017
In reply to Matthew786:

A cheap one, regularly backed up to cloud storage that won’t hurt you too much if it gets broken or stolen.
How about a second hand machine?

http://microdream.co.uk/laptops-and-netbooks.html

Have used them lots and never had a problem.
 Big Ger 02 Nov 2017
In reply to Matthew786:

I'm in need of a laptop for when I return to Blighty as my desktop will be in transit for a few months. Also, I'll need a laptop for my campervan, when purchased.

I need something capable of running Reason 10, Photoshop, as well as the usual browsing, email, and Skype connectivity.

Anyone got any thoughts?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...