UKC

Threaded clove hitch through harness question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 druss 01 Nov 2017
Hello All

Hopefully not a dumb question. I was wondering if it is safe to thread a 120cm sling (around halfway point) through the harness belay loop/tie-in loop so you end up with two tethers, rather than using separate slings? Will the clove hitch slip if loaded on one tether?

Thanks
 MeMeMe 01 Nov 2017
In reply to druss:

I think I'd just tie an overhand or fig 8 rather than a hitch.

It's one thing relying on a clove hitch tied on a krab but it might behave a bit more unpredictably on the belay loop because it's not a simple smooth attachment point.
Not to mention being at your waist it's much more likely to get knocked about a bit and loosened than if it's part of a belay for instance.
OP druss 01 Nov 2017
In reply to MeMeMe:

> I think I'd just tie an overhand or fig 8 rather than a hitch.

> It's one thing relying on a clove hitch tied on a krab but it might behave a bit more unpredictably on the belay loop because it's not a simple smooth attachment point.

> Not to mention being at your waist it's much more likely to get knocked about a bit and loosened than if it's part of a belay for instance.

Thanks and good point about it getting knocked about and loosening.
 Martin Bennett 02 Nov 2017
In reply to druss:

Why not make a caver style cow's tail out of say 8mm cord? Or buy a proprietary one? As it happens I have one for sale !!! (Once a salesman, always a salesman!)
A Petzl Energyca (also known as Spelegyca). This gives you approx. 25cm and 50cm lengths for belaying/abseiling. £14 including postage? It's like this one and unused - about 2-3 years old.
https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/Lanyards/SPELEGYCA
 nniff 02 Nov 2017
In reply to druss:

As HeHeHe said.

I'm very happy using a clove hitch, but only around things that are solid, unlike a harness which has scope to expand, contract and generally fidget. Not a problem if both ends are clipped to something, but less than sound if one end is loose. For what it's worth, my standard belay at the top of a route is a bight shoved through a harness belt with two or three half hitches.
OP druss 02 Nov 2017
In reply to Martin Bennett:

> Why not make a caver style cow's tail out of say 8mm cord? Or buy a proprietary one? As it happens I have one for sale !!! (Once a salesman, always a salesman!)

> A Petzl Energyca (also known as Spelegyca). This gives you approx. 25cm and 50cm lengths for belaying/abseiling. £14 including postage? It's like this one and unused - about 2-3 years old.

Thanks. The motivation for the post was when the situation arose for multi-tether, what would be solution options other than using 2 ropes, sling and rope, 2 separate slings or long sling connected as OP. Was thinking about the typical gear I would normally have rather than something specific.
 SenzuBean 02 Nov 2017
In reply to druss:

What kind of things are you imagining that two tethers would be useful on?
 fraserbarrett 03 Nov 2017
In reply to druss:

I'd be very uncomfortable with this setup. Clove hitches slip slightly under load and that could generate enough heat to melt either the belay loop or the sling.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...