UKC

Retailer info request

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Taxboy 04 Nov 2017
I hope this is the correct forum. I was wondering if anyone had any experience using defencefire.co.uk

They have some keen prices on gear but I couldn't get Go Outdoors to match and beat them as they advised they were not UK VAT registered. I've done a Google search but couldn't find out much other than the website is registered in Cambridge

Any info appreciated
 Jack B 04 Nov 2017
In reply to Taxboy:
Excerpt from their privacy policy:
> Cookies are text documents that are stored on your computer. Your browser ought to give you the option to refuse cookies. You cannot buy things on the website without your snacks enabled.
Mmmm... Snacks.

Anyway, I'm not familiar with them. But having had a look around their website I noticed:
- There is no company name anywhere, even in the privacy policy etc, which should say who is processing your data. I can't find them on Companies House either. They are almost certainly not a UK company, and almost certainly not complying with the Data Protection Act.
- Several parts of the privacy and shipping pages seem to have been badly translated to English
- The shipping page talks a lot about international freight
- The account log-in page uses HTTP not HTTPS - so there is no security or encryption whatsoever, and third parties can see the email and password you use.

Collectively, this makes me very, very suspicious and I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. I figure they are planning on scamming someone, though the jury is out on whether that is you or HMRC. The prices almost certainly don't include VAT, and I'm not surprised Go Outdoors don't consider them a valid comparison.
Post edited at 12:43
rackandruin 04 Nov 2017
 PPP 04 Nov 2017
In reply to Taxboy:

The domain is registered under a private address in Cambridge as well.

https://www.whois.com/whois/defencefire.co.uk
OP Taxboy 04 Nov 2017
In reply to Taxboy:

Many thanks for confirming my suspicions. Usually if something is too good to be true .....
le_quack 04 Nov 2017
In reply to PPP:

Yeah that's a well suspect address I work not far from there and im pretty sure the buildings used by national express

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...