UKC

Travelling in a van in morocco

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rachelpearce01 18 Nov 2017
We're thinking of taking our van over to morocco from Spain to head to tafraroute for a few weeks trad climbing. We are planning o stay in the van near the crags. Does anyone think this is a bad idea? When we were there a few years ago the area seemed relatively safe and quiet.

Anyone got any thoughts ?
In reply to rachelpearce01:

It's a great idea! We just brought our car down through Spain, and it seemed relatively straightforward. Algeciras to Tanger Med is reportedly the easiest crossing from a vehicle import point of view, and certainly we had no issues.You'll need to have a copy of the V5 registration certificate with you, and it's best to fill in the import paperwork online. Here is the link to the form you'll need: http://www.douane.gov.ma/d16ter/formAT.jsf

Once you've cleared customs (can take a while) you'll leave the port area and there are a line of small offices in the car park on the left... you'll need to stop here to buy temporary insurance if you don't already have a green card. It's quite pricey, but chances are that you'll get asked for proof of local insurance at some point during your stay. You can get it at the port for 1 week, 2 weeks, or 1 month. After that you'll need to get a permanent in-country insurance policy.

If you're driving down from Tangiers then you can also check out sport climbing at Ain Belmusk, and bouldering at Oukaimeden on your way down - both near Marrakech.

And yes, the Anti-Atlas is a perfectly safe place to hang out in a van near the crags.

Drop me an email if you need any specific info
In reply to Steve Broadbent:

Hi Steve. That's for all this and the advice. It's mega helpful ! Will let you know how it goes. Is any particular month best to visit ? We were thinking of January or Feb. Have done a bit on the south side of the mountains but weee hoping to do some on the north this time. This was in December when we went and the south was fine but north probably would have been cold.
 bandit12 25 Nov 2017

I thought that wild "camping" was discouraged, on the basis that most of the land is privately owned and used by local people and doing so without permission was disrespectful. Besides the campsites we used were very cheap and observing the general standard of living it can't be a bad thing to put a small amount back into the local economy.
In reply to bandit12:
Where did you stay ? Because we have stayed in tafroute and the kasbah but were driving an hour each day most days to the crag.
In reply to bandit12:
We are not adverse to campsites but the all the places seem pretty remote !
 PaulTanton 07 Dec 2017
The idea sounds good but I’d be concerned about upsetting locals. I have seen people vanning it on the north side. It makes perfect sense as you could cut down on the daily drive in.

Be interested to see how you get on. Good luck

Rich2002 08 Dec 2017

I have friends who spend season out there in vans but for the surf not the climbing. They have found that as long as you are a bit of distance away from the villages when you park up these is no problems wild camping at all. I say go for it and enjoy the adventure.
 bandit12 09 Dec 2017
Hi, we stayed in campsite on the outskirts of Tafroute, less than 5 mins walk into the town. Yes, dending on where you climb we found either a long drive and short walk in or shorter drives with longer walk-ins. We tended to try lots of different crags so wasn't really an issue for us.
Post edited at 14:33

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...