UKC

the top 20 corbetts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
i don't see it as likely that i will ever get round to doing all of the Corbetts, but there are some fantastic hills in there that i wouldn't want to miss out on doing.

so, what would people consider to be a 'top 20' of the Corbetts, to help focus my attention on- taking into account their aesthetic appeal, location, the quality of their walking routes, and how much they command the landscape around them

(utterly subjective of course, and those irritated by such lists should feel free to move onto the next thread...)

i'm guessing the following would be a good start:

the cobbler
cir mhor
garbh bheinn
beinn dearg mhor
foinaven
quinaig
askival
beinn damh
ben aden
ben lair

...and i've only done 2 of them, so some great days in there to come, i hope

but what else should be on the list...? (not a problem if it goes past 20, but hopefully doesnt end up with all 221 on it!)

cheers
gregor
 jonnie3430 04 Dec 2017
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Sheesh, I was going to suggest stac pollaidh, but found out it doesn't make it. Who knew?
In reply to jonnie3430:

no, its not even a Graham

suilven doesn't make it in either, or ben more coigach.

but there will be a place for them on another thread i might start later...

gregor

Brilliant start there Gregor, you've picked all the ones that immediately sprang to my mind too. Some of these must be in the top 20 at any height.

Here's some more:

Rois-bheinn - as a group rather than the individual summit
Streap
Beinn Bhan
Sgurr a' Chaorachain
Fuar Tholl
Baosbheinn
Beinn Airigh charr
Beinn a' Chabhair's really undersold, though admittedly not quite in the Ben Aden league
Ben Mor Coigach
Ben Loyal

Is BMC not a corbett? ...runs off in shame to check corbetts book...
 Mike-W-99 04 Dec 2017

The garbh bheinn on Skye.
Beinn Bhan
Sgurr a’Chaorachain
 skog 04 Dec 2017

A good start.

You need more island in there: Clisham, and the Rum Corbetts, deserve to be on the list. Probably the other three Arran Corbetts, too, really, though I don't think Mull or Jura would make the top 20.

You mention Garbh Bheinn; I'd argue for both Garbh Bheinn (Ardgour) and Garbh-Bheinn (Skye).

A little pedantic, but Quinag is three Corbetts. It deserves to be on the list, in my opinion - but not to take up all three slots; Spidean Coinich would be my selection there.

Add Cul Beag, I think. And probably Beinn Dearg (Torridon). It's really hard omitting many from much the NW!

Add Beinn Droinaig or Aonach Buidhe for proper middle-of-nowhere vibe if you want a sample from that area.

It seems wrong to omit Beinn Trilleachan (Etive Slabs) or Beinn a'Chaisgein Mor (Carnmore Crag) on a climbing website...
 Jack Frost 04 Dec 2017

According to Walkhighlands, these are the top 20 Corbetts by 'Popularity' but it I'm guessing if correlated with a map of centres of population they would tie in nicely. Some of these hills are not worth the postcard home:

No. Mountain Ascents
1 The Cobbler 5038
2 Ben Ledi 3566
3 Goat Fell 2744
4 Ben Vrackie 2717
5 Meall a'Bhuachaille 1863
6 Ben Rinnes 1481
7 Beinn Each 1389
8 Merrick 1369
9 Ben Donich 1257
10 Morrone 1222
11 Beinn an Lochain 1173
12 White Coomb 1163
13 Benvane 1018
14 Morven 1010
15 Quinag - Spidean Coinich 1001
16 Broad Law 996
17 The Brack 961
18 Hart Fell 961
19 Quinag - Sail Gharbh 942
20 Sgurr nan Ceannaichean 933
 skog 04 Dec 2017

> no, its not even a Graham

> suilven doesn't make it in either, or ben more coigach.

All three (Stac Pollaidh, Suilven and Beinn Mor Coigach) are Grahams - and are three of the finest hills in the country.
 ScraggyGoat 04 Dec 2017
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:
+1 for Rois-bheinn for the impressive views
+1 Beinn Bhan via the A'choich Ridge for the scrambling looking into the corries either side
+1 for Sgurr a Choarachain after climbing the Choich Nose
+1 Beinn Airigh Charr for the views
+1 for Ben Loyal via a large horse-shoe starting with Ben Hope via its North Ridge and finishing on Loyal

A few left field suggestions
Beinn Dearg (Torridon) with a summit bivi
Carn Mor & Sgurr na H'Aide via an aquatic sea kayak approach up Loch Morar
Either Beinn Odhar Mhor or Sgurr Giubhaschain (the latter has some scrambling) for the views down Loch Shiel.
Post edited at 13:12
 skog 04 Dec 2017

You know, you should really just do all of the Corbetts which are West of the watershed and North of the Great Glen, with a few extra thrown in here and there - those ones are almost all better than almost all of the others (exceptions made for the Cobbler, Arran, and maybe a couple of others).
 felt 04 Dec 2017

Leum Uilleim for views and cultural value.
 Sir Chasm 04 Dec 2017

Sgurr Dhomhnuill gives a nice quiet amble.
 GreatApe 04 Dec 2017

I've only ever looked across at it, but I found An Ruadh Stac to be particularly impressive.
 Mark Bannan 04 Dec 2017
In reply to Jack Frost:

Very good point - here's my comments about those I have done (that probably haven't been commented on already).
M

> According to Walkhighlands, these are the top 20 Corbetts by 'Popularity' but it I'm guessing if correlated with a map of centres of population they would tie in nicely. Some of these hills are not worth the postcard home:

> 2 Ben Ledi 3566 - worthwhile but not in the same league as nearby Munros
> 4 Ben Vrackie 2717 - really good: gives an excellent short varied day
> 5 Meall a'Bhuachaille 1863 - OK: great views; easy hill
> 6 Ben Rinnes 1481 - as for Meall a'Bhuachaille
> 10 Morrone 1222 - just did this on Saturday, as part of a "Plan B". Wintry conditions made it more interesting, but I thought it was a pile of sh*te.
> 11 Beinn an Lochain 1173 - fine hill, done it twice
> 14 Morven 1010 - presumably you mean the one in Aberdeenshire. If so - excellent, with great views
> 20 Sgurr nan Ceannaichean 933 - I would say that most ascents (mine included) are folk who did it when it was a Munro! However it is well worthwhile, but other corbetts in the area (I've only done a few!) including Beinn Bhan and Beinn Damh are better.

Great thread, by the way! I am not particularly likely to complete the Corbetts (I am a munroist, but have only done 34 Corbetts!), but I do want to do all the good ones. Probably top of my list is Sgurr Giubhsachan (sp?), near Glenfinnan.

M

Mark Bannan 04 Dec 2017
In reply to felt:

> Leum Uilleim for views and cultural value.

Is that related to Trainspotting and Renton's classic speech which starts: "It's sh*te being Scottish.........."
 felt 04 Dec 2017
In reply to Mark Bannan:

Yes. But the views are better.
 Iain Thow 04 Dec 2017

All pretty good suggestions so far. Of the unmentioned, Resipol for its views, Arkle in for its moonscape and Sgurr Dhonuill in Ardgour for rugged spiky wildness are all worth a shout.
FWIW my 20 would be:
Loyal
Foinaven
Arkle
Cul Mor
Cul Beag
B Dearg Mhor
Baosbheinn
B Dearg
Fuar Tholl
B Aden
Streap
Sgurr Ghuibhsachain
Sgurr Dhonuill
Garbh Bheinn (Ardgour)
Resipol
The Cobbler
Clisham
Garbh Bheinn (Skye)
Askival
Cir Mhor
 Turfty 04 Dec 2017

Walked the Creach Bhein/Fuar Bheinn horseshoe a few weeks back from Glengalmadale. Though the hills themselves might not stand up individually to some already listed the walk as a whole is hard to beat. And you get to explore the "camp".
In reply to the thread:

some great suggestions, thanks everyone!

my corbett count is pretty low at present, especially on the more exciting ones- i have done ben dronaig though, and agree with the remote feel of it, coming down off the back of it felt like being a long way from anywhere...

big round lumps can be worth a mention too- i did sgor mor, near linn of dee, no great ascent but a fantastic panorama of the cairngorms from the top- so any similar suggestions of 'otherwise dull climbs made great by their location/view from the top' would be welcome...
In reply to skog:

> All three (Stac Pollaidh, Suilven and Beinn Mor Coigach) are Grahams - and are three of the finest hills in the country.

i didnt realise that- always thought stac pollaidh was just under 2000ft

i still need to go back and finish it- backed off the bad step, oh, 20 (?) years ago- so some unfinished business there...
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

> +1 for Rois-bheinn for the impressive views

> +1 Beinn Bhan via the A'choich Ridge for the scrambling looking into the corries either side

> +1 for Sgurr a Choarachain after climbing the Choich Nose

> +1 Beinn Airigh Charr for the views

> +1 for Ben Loyal via a large horse-shoe starting with Ben Hope via its North Ridge and finishing on Loyal

> A few left field suggestions

> Beinn Dearg (Torridon) with a summit bivi

> Carn Mor & Sgurr na H'Aide via an aquatic sea kayak approach up Loch Morar

> Either Beinn Odhar Mhor or Sgurr Giubhaschain (the latter has some scrambling) for the views down Loch Shiel.

all sounds fantastic. can't think why i forgot about beinn bhan from my original list. and the kayak approach on morar has me sold ...

In reply to felt:

> Yes. But the views are better.

not when i did it!

miserable clag. not all days on the hill are great days...

In reply to GreatApe:

> I've only ever looked across at it, but I found An Ruadh Stac to be particularly impressive.

yes- carron is one of the areas where the corbetts may be better hills than the munros, they certainly aren't overshadowed by them, either literally or figuratively
 skog 04 Dec 2017

It's an absolutely magic wee hill, one of the very best of all of the hills in the country regardless of height.

You might actually be better compiling a list of the best one or two sub-3000' hills in each area, as one of the delights of the Scottish hills is how different the many different corners can be, despite proximity.
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

fuar tholl- another great carron corbett

and streap- looks a fine hill, not done any of the munros along the glenfinnan road either so a trip needed

i've done rois-bheinn, but not the group, and i think i missed out there.
 Pkrynicki1984 04 Dec 2017

Ben More Coigach looks amazing , I did Sgurr Fhidleir last week (actually turned back just short of the summit and thought wow throughout)
 krikoman 04 Dec 2017
My favourite Corbett has to be Ronny
Followed by Lester
Post edited at 16:29
 DaveHK 04 Dec 2017
In reply to krikoman:

> My favourite Corbett has to be Ronny

> Followed by Lester

Matthew?
 krikoman 04 Dec 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

Gentleman James Corbett, whom I'd place between Ronny and Harry H.

Mark Bull 04 Dec 2017

Here's my top 10 Corbett hill days (as opposed to a top 10 hills), not in any order:

Beinn Deargs (Bheag and Mor)
Quinag
Beinn an Eoin and Baosbheinn
Beinn Dearg (Torridon)
Rois-bheinn trio
Sgurr Mhic Eacharna, Beinn Bheag and Garbh Bheinn
Clisham horseshoe
Belig, Garbh-bheinn and Sgurr nan Each
Rum Cuillin traverse
Glen Sannox round

and the next 10 would be:

Ben Loyal
Cul Mor
Beinn Bhan (via A'Choich ridge)
Beinn Bhuidhe (Knoydart)
Streap
Sgurr Ghiubhsachain and Sgorr Craobh a'Chaorainn
Sgurr Dhomhnuill (circuit from Ariundle)
Beinn na Cille, Fuar Bheinn and Creach Bheinn
Cruach Innse and Sgurr Innse
Paps of Jura

and as a bonus, my top 10 sub-2500ft hill days:

Suilven (from Lochinver, including Meall Meadhonach)
Stac Pollaidh (go to both ends)
Ben Mor Coigach (circuit from Culnacraig)
Beinn Ghobhlach
Uisgneabhal Mor to Stulabhal ridge
Oirebhal and Ulabhal (and a visit to Strone Ulladale)
Sgaoth Aird horseshoe
Beinn na Caillich, Beinn Dearg Mhor and Beinn Dearg Beag
The Storr
Pentlands Skyline
 Andy Long 04 Dec 2017

Surprised nobody's mentioned Clach Glas. Yes I know it's overshadowed by Bla Bheinn, but only in terms of height. For my money it's the finest bit of the traverse.
In reply to Andy Long:

I think that's classed as a Corbett top rather than a separate Corbett in its own right. Presumably a top of Garbh-bheinn.

That does kinda show up the whole classification-by-height thing for the nonsense it really is (can you tell I'm not really much of a bagger?). Clach Glas is obviously one of the greatest peaks in Scotland in its own right, far overshadowing Garbh-bheinn for quality. And I'd agree with others that the skye Garbh-bheinn's pretty damn good
 fmck 04 Dec 2017

Good to see Cir Mhor high on your list as it's such an under appreciated mountain. I remember as a 13 year old waking up under the south face one winter after pitching the tent in the dark. I couldn't believe that mountains like that existed in Scotland. I could understand why it was nicknamed "the alp mountain "
Most climbed Corbetts will be the ones the general public find accessible and attractive. Hence walkhighlands ascent list?
 Flinticus 04 Dec 2017
In reply to Turfty:

The circuit I was going to mention! Great walk.

All of the Arran corbetts.

The four on the sides of Loch Shiel.

Garbh Bheinn (Ardgour)

An Ruadh Stac and Fuar Tholl

Loads more...
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com & Andy Long:

ah, but rules is rules....

i think the prominence criteria of Corbetts *usually* works, to ensure they have a degree of stature as separate mountains, rather than just bumps on a ridge (step forward, south cluanie ridge...). looking at tables of UK mountains listed by prominence, and its striking how many of the very prominent peaks are the ones generally thought of as the 'best' mountains in the country.

but they say its the exception that proves the rule, and i agree, clach glas certainly is that exception...! i did it many years ago- guided, before i started rock climbing- and the degree of exposure was beyond anything i could have imagined. a superlative day in the mountains.

malky_c 04 Dec 2017

Sorry if I'm repeating other posts, but here's a couple of less obvious ones that may not have been covered:

-Stob a' Choin: One of my favourite hills in the Southern Highlands away from the Arrochar Alps.
-The Brack: as above but in the Arrochar Alps.
-Stob Dubh: Great outlook over Glen Etive.
-Sgurr nan Eugallt: Some of the best views down Loch Hourn.
-Buidhe Bheinn: The other half of the best views down Loch Hourn
-Anything on the west side of Loch Linnhe / along the Mallaig road that hasn't been mentioned. It's all good.
-I'll throw in a mention for Ben Tirran as well. Probably one of the most interesting Corbetts in the SE Highlands, although not really on a par with the best stuff in this thread.

There's always a risk that I'm just remembering good days out rather than specifically good hills, but I don't think so. I'm not sure I originally had any intention of doing all of the Corbetts either - it just sort of happened...
Deadeye 04 Dec 2017
In reply to krikoman:

> My favourite Corbett has to be Ronny

Then you ought to learn how to spell his name.

In reply to malky_c:

Completing the corbetts...? Good effort!

Grahams next...?
 kinley2 05 Dec 2017
20? I guess I'd go for the ones that I've summit camped -

Rois-Bheinn
Sgurr a Choire-bheithe
Beinn Aodainn
Sgor Mor
Beinn Tarsuinn
Sgurr nan Gillean (Ainshival)
Beinn Dearg Mor
Beinn a Chaisgein Mor
Meall Nan Creag Leac (Sgurr Ghiubhsachain)
Caisteal Abhail
Sgurr an Airgid

Plus:

Beinn Damh
An Cliseam
Garbh Bheinn (Ardgour)
Mam na Gualainn
Buidhe Bheinn
Beinn Airigh Charr
Quinag
Cul Mor
Ben Loyal
Askival

But in reality I've enjoyed all the ones I've visited.
Post edited at 20:42
 malky_c 05 Dec 2017

Finished at the same time as the Corbetts! Although not in quite as good style as the poster above me
 DaveHK 05 Dec 2017

Another vote for Fuar Tholl but don't tell anyone, it's a secret.
 krikoman 06 Dec 2017
In reply to Deadeye:

> Then you ought to learn how to spell his name.

He's always been Ronny to his friends.
 Andy Long 06 Dec 2017

Thanks for putting me right on Clach Glas, I should have looked it up before posting!
On which point I've always noticed that hillwalking threads (at least on UKC) are usually much more good-natured than those on any other subject. Which tells me (as if I needed telling) that hillwalking is just, well, good for the soul.
 Mark Bannan 06 Dec 2017

> Fuar Tholl

My mate Dave has nicknamed this "Fart Hole"!

Another reason to put it on my list!

M

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...