UKC

What motivates you to climb?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Andrew Potter 04 Dec 2017
I'm just collecting ideas from mountaineers on what really motivates you to climb. I'm writing a large project on this topic and focusing heavily on how motivation has changed throughout the centuries e.g why Mallory would want to climb compared to Joe Simpson. Any personal views or ideas would be much appreciated.
 Shani 04 Dec 2017
In reply to Andrew Potter:

> I'm just collecting ideas from mountaineers on what really motivates you to climb.

I was asked this by a pedant once, and i simply replied, "Because it's their."
 JIMBO 04 Dec 2017

To tick the box on the list...
 d_b 04 Dec 2017
In reply to Shani:

It's not theirs, it's mine.
 bouldery bits 04 Dec 2017

Summit to do.
 johncook 04 Dec 2017

Why not climb.
It keeps me happy, and as my mother would say "off the streets."

> I'm writing a large project on this topic and focusing heavily on how motivation has changed throughout the centuries

I suspect it hasn't. Sorry to have to break it to you, but maybe best to divert your attention to another project.

T.
 john arran 05 Dec 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

It's hard to top it.
 SenzuBean 05 Dec 2017

If Michael can do it... then so can I, I'll show him! (that was today's reason anyway)
 Shani 05 Dec 2017
In reply to john arran:

Subtle!
 guy127917 05 Dec 2017

To prove to my father I am worthwhile
 Pedro50 05 Dec 2017
In reply to Shani:

> I was asked this by a pedant once, and i simply replied, "Because it's their."

Because of Bear
 Damo 05 Dec 2017

Ego, ambition, glory, sex, praise, inadequacy, stubbornness, pride, friends, curiosity.

Although to some extent it depends just what you mean by 'climb' and the type of climbing. I doubt motivations have changed much over time, as human nature hasn't.

If you haven't already read it, this is one of the best and most honest pieces that deals with motivation:
http://www.alpinist.com/doc/web17f/wfeature-alp57-threshold-shift

"...the real reason was for the after, for the adulation and acceptance and the slap on the back."
 Max Hangs 05 Dec 2017
In reply to john arran:

It peaks my interest!
 GHawksworth 05 Dec 2017

I first got really into climbing to distract me from and help me cope with depression by throwing myself in the deep end.

Ive always been outside to marvel at the beauty of the natural world and now I climb to get to see the natural side from viewpoints I normally wouldnt.

I also do it to challenge myself both mentally and physically. but mostly to aim to do something I find as worthwhile.
 pass and peak 05 Dec 2017

As a shorter than average person, its the only chance I get to look down on people!!!

I climbed primarily because I enjoyed the physical process of climbing – a very natural thing (and the great sense of physical well-being that it gave rise to). Secondarily, the mental processes and sensations involved. Third, the beauties of the natural world surrounding it. Fourth, the people one climbed with, invariably great/balanced/humorous/good-natured/nice in all the best possible ways, and some life-long friendships. At best, it gave many very memorable, truly adventurous days.

pass and peak 05 Dec 2017
In reply to Damo:

Good read that, thanks!
 Brass Nipples 05 Dec 2017

I would recommend you try climbing and mountaineering to find out some of the answers.

I was out on a fell side today. The wind was blowing, the ground frozen, the mist was in, and no one else was about. I heard the call of grouse or some such in the cotton wool environment. I was too hot at one time, too cold at others. I was alone in the natural environment with my map and compass. Walls and long abandoned buildings appeared on the lower slopes. Higher up compass for navigation in a closed in world. My legs burned my heart beat and my lungs gasped at the effort at times. A world of a few hundred metres visibility. A peace and calmness settled upon me. I was at one in my environment. Contented.

TheFasting 06 Dec 2017

"Because we're insane"
 d_b 06 Dec 2017
In reply to TheFasting:

Many years ago I took a girlfriend to Sennen to introduce her to climbing. My climbing partner told me that no sooner was I out of earshot on the lead than she turned to him and said "You do realise that you are all completely insane don't you?"
In summer the movement over rock. In winter FOMO, impending darkness and a fish supper on the way down the road.
Post edited at 10:24

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...