UKC

Un-named path between Pyg and Miners on Snowdon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
norris 23 Jan 2018

Hi all,

has anyone ever walked fom Pen Y Pass along Miners for about 120m and then turned right up towards Carreg Gwalch. In the OS Leisure 1:25 map there is a route that is clearly marked which if you follow it goes north of the Reservoir and connects up with Pyg track past the Crib Goch turn off. 

My real question is : is it passable ? Do-able? Safe ? Aerial photos (the new Beta OS one) are not encouraging. 

thoughts ? 

Mike Peacock 23 Jan 2018
In reply to norris:

You mean along "The Horns" (as they're named on the OS map) to Bwlch Moch? It's a nice way to go to escape the crowds. My memory is mostly on grass, nothing difficult at all. Just follow the ridge. I found a few useful links:

https://www.mudandroutes.com/secret-snowdonia-craig-fach-from-pen-y-pass/

http://davidkeates.blogspot.com.es/2009/10/snowdon-via-horns.html

pasbury 23 Jan 2018
In reply to norris:

I don't know about the path but I'm interested in this OS aerial photos. All I can find is a subscription thing - is that what you use?

Mark Haward 23 Jan 2018
In reply to norris:

There is a route but not always a path, especially in the lower grassy section up from the Miner's track. I have come down it, never bothered going up. I think it joins the PYG at the Crib Goch junction.

norris 23 Jan 2018
In reply to pasbury:

there is a free 7 day trial  for their maps , which includes the beta.  

To be honest I wouldn't bother with it for the aerial. Old Google maps satellite offers a better resolution picture. 

regards

Norris

Lusk 23 Jan 2018
In reply to norris:

I use mapometer for tracing routes on arial pictures. Here's a rough trace of what I reckon you're on about ... https://gb.mapometer.com/walking/route_4671318.html (not necessarily correct! )  Zoom right in and you can see most of the path.

Post edited at 16:53
 goatee 23 Jan 2018
In reply to norris:

A nice walk and very do-able. As already said a nice way to leave the crowds for a bit. Re-joins at the Crib Goch junction. You can do a little scrambling if you choose.

In reply to norris:

I haven't done that path for a while - I prefer to follow the ridge over the Horns themselves if I'm going for a detour - but if you use Bing maps you can toggle  between OS and aerial views and the path is pretty obvious on the ground through most of its length. It joins the Pig track 200-250 metres after Bwlch y moch / the Crib Goch junction. 

john1963 24 Jan 2018
In reply to norris:

Went that way early December. Couldn't find the official turn off due to snow so just followed my nose no problem after that. There's a recent bw photo in my gallery showing the route.

Brraparazzi 26 Jan 2018
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Yeah following the ridge is definitely a more interesting walk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...