UKC

Where to climb in the Peak this weekend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SuperLee1985 23 Feb 2018

Hey, 

Heading up to the Peak early tomorrow morning but I can't quite work out where would be best to go, given the cold conditions.

A west facing venue would be sheltered from the wind, but I'd worry that it wouldn't defrost/dry given the low temperatures. An east facing edge would probably be dryer but might be just too damn cold to climb.

Hopefully some friendly locals can point me in the direction of some climbable rock.

Cheers

Lee

mrphilipoldham 23 Feb 2018
In reply to SuperLee1985:

It’s all bone dry, has been all week! Have fun  

Offwidth 24 Feb 2018

Yes Rob Greenwood..... unlike last weekend, conditions may well be mint on sheltered sections of many west facing edges for bouldering and hard routes with a thick down jacket in between attempts. Your average trad climber might need a bit more shelter from what will be a very cold E/SE wind... Rivelin, Wharncliffe, Shining Cliff, Cratcliffe etc are the usual suspects .

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcqzd69kf#?date=2018-0...

Minus ten wind chill if exposed at High Neb!

Post edited at 10:18
OP SuperLee1985 26 Feb 2018

Turned out to be a glorious weekend in the end! Couldn't have hoped for better conditions.

Tony Jones 26 Feb 2018

Good to hear that your weekend worked out Lee.

Just as a matter of interest what do those of you familiar with the area reckon on the chance of finding somewhere amenable to climb during the second half of this week?

My partner and I have some accommodation booked from Wednesday onwards and we were hoping to do a bit of easy trad but the weather forecast is looking pretty serious at the moment. I'm still intent on taking a rack even if I only manage to get up a diff or two in a blizzard before retiring to a pub with a log fire.

dr_botnik 26 Feb 2018
In reply to Tony Jones:

> Just as a matter of interest what do those of you familiar with the area reckon on the chance of finding somewhere amenable to climb during the second half of this week?

> My partner and I have some accommodation booked from Wednesday onwards and we were hoping to do a bit of easy trad but the weather forecast is looking pretty serious at the moment. I'm still intent on taking a rack even if I only manage to get up a diff or two in a blizzard before retiring to a pub with a log fire.

Wednesday looks climbable. Thurs and Fri look to have very high windspeed. Saturday and Sunday look passable.

We climbed at stanage popular last Sunday with strong winds from the east, we found climbs in the Central Trinity area were sheltered from the wind, and I imagine anything further westwards would also be. Personally I'd give gardoms a go, lots of stuff in the woods I'm sure it's be sheltered. Or you could go to millstone as if it's too windy you could bail very easily to Lawrence field! But I think on Thursday/Friday you would be better walking to a nice pub with a roaring fire. Good luck! I'm local and have some leave from work over this time too. Can't believe the timing of the storm! I will probably be indoors on Thurs/fri

Tony Jones 26 Feb 2018
In reply to dr_botnik:

That's great! Thanks for the pointers.

We have to drop my partner's daughter off at Manchester airport on Wednesday morning before heading down to Winster where we're staying and had thought about calling in at Windgather on the way but I'm guessing it'll be fairly exposed there. Saturday we're heading towards mid Wales so might take a look at some Staffordshire grit for an hour or two if the weather's not too bad.

I've fully taken on board the advice about pubs and roaring fires on Thursday and Friday if the weather forecast proves to be anywhere near accurate.

In reply to Tony Jones:

Castle Naze is probably better/more sheltered when the wind blows from the east, & it catches any sunshine that's on offer 

Offwidth 27 Feb 2018
In reply to Tony Jones:

New Mills Torrs and Hobson Moor Quarry are good sheltered spots in cold easterlies in the Western Peak area. Both have routes and bouldering and New Mills has unique 'grit' sports routes on the bridge pillars.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...