UKC

Looking for work over the summer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
GoneFishing111 17 Mar 2018

Im a student and as such i will have three months off over the summer, last year i returned to my previous job back on site which didn't do my back any good, which was the main reason i quit to go and study in the first place.

Im wondering what to do this summer, I may be able to get some unpaid work with a surveyor, but I could do with being paid, and I fancy doing something different.

I know there are people from all industries and areas of the country so i though a post on here was worth a shot! Anyone know of an interesting position anywhere?

IPPurewater 18 Mar 2018
In reply to GoneFishing111:

What are you studying ? Can you get something in your future line of work ? Do you have other skills that you could use, without resorting to your old job ?

marsbar 18 Mar 2018

Are you any good at entertaining children or teenagers?  I spent several summers doing child care for working parents.  If I understand the rules, the children can't come to your home without you registering, but you can look after children in their own home.  

If you want to learn a language or travel you could mix it with a position abroad. In some countries there is a demand for English speaking people to converse with the children.  

GoneFishing111 18 Mar 2018
In reply to IPPurewater:

Replying to both, Im studying building surveying, i may be able to get an unpaid position for over the summer, which, whilst it would be great i really could do with earning, even if it just enough to live on rather then spending all my savings. I will ask if there is possibility of payment but i doubt it.

Not really sure on other skills, i can build a house or put a road in, apart from that i am unsure, im pretty good on a computer, get on really well with people in general, tend to be a leader rather than led.

I was just going to go back on site but a recent trip to the orange house in Spain has got me thinking, as i understand it the general staff don't get paid but have a place to live and food to eat whilst the manager of the place does get paid..no idea on how much.

I did run my own construction company for 10 years, since being 17 believe it or not so i should have some transferable skills?

summo 18 Mar 2018

Site management. Not a big job, but you can work up.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/off_belay/sheds+what_to_put_them_on-68134...

Unless you need the funds urgently, go with what will help you build contacts for the future, which might not be the paid work.

tehmarks 18 Mar 2018

I agree with summo. If your future work will either be on a self-employed basis or it's a small industry where knowing people is important to securing a position somewhere, spending your time now building up (pun intended) your contacts will serve you very well in future. University is a great opportunity to do that; once you've graduated it becomes somewhat more difficult to find opportunities to shoehorn yourself in.

One option from my industry that would be a bit different would be working as 'local crew' for events; it's generally not hard to get yourself in with a local crewing company without any experience. The bulk of the job is loading and unloading trucks, pushing boxes and carrying awkward things, with a small pinch of helping the technical departments rig and cable things. The downside is that it's all casual work, and the work might be sporadic until you become more known to whoever you're working for. But it's mentally busy at the minute, so perhaps not!

GoneFishing111 19 Mar 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

Thanks everybody, i think i will try a combination of both.

Ann S 25 Mar 2018

I'll chuck this one in from left field, but assuming you have no ties and can be available with your own transport at short notice, why not register for work as a TV/ film extra. Plenty of companies wanting folk to sign up and if you have any particular skills, eg climbing, you should list them as well.

Just a thought.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...