UKC

Climbing gear in carry on luggage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
baron 02 Apr 2018

No, not your usual 'can I take my ice axes on the plane?' question.

Just a heads up as my friend had two of those very small karabiner look a like key ring thingies confiscated while passing through Grenoble airport yesterday. Not the end of the world money wise but they did have some sentimental value.

She also got the 'empty your whole rucksack and pockets' treatment and then had to sign a form saying she agreed to have her items confiscated. No sign, no boarding of plane.

We had flown from Manchester a week ago with no problem and yesterday there were other people with apparently just as lethal equipment hanging from their packs - large metal padlocks, etc.

They did have some small, amateurish looking notices around the airport and upon detailed study there in all it's printed' laminated glory was a small, pixelated Karabiner.

So no Karabiners in your cabin luggage at Grenoble and probably no other climbing gear either.

You can, however, continue to tw*t your fellow travellers in the face with the 'look at me I'm a skier/boarder!'  helmet that is swinging freely from your rucksack!

In reply to baron:

I once got an ATC bug taken off me at CDG, but they then gave us proper metal knives and forks on the long-haul flight...

GridNorth 02 Apr 2018
In reply to baron:

Airport Security areas should be declared "logic free zones"

Al

jethro kiernan 02 Apr 2018
In reply to baron:

I had a magic marker taken off me by Manchester security and much condescending eye rolling from the guard. This the week after it emerged one of the guards had confiscated a suspicious looking pipe bom and released the guy and kept the bomb in her pocket for 3/4!of an hour.

logic free zones

Post edited at 12:24
 marsbar 02 Apr 2018
In reply to baron:

What one of these?!  https://www.superfunstuff.co.uk/carabiner-clip-keyring---6-colours-20078-p....

The world has gone mad.  Mad I tell you....

No keyring but 1 litre of vodka in a glass bottle from duty free,  not at all dangerous....

baron 02 Apr 2018
In reply to marsbar:

Yes there the one's.

When we sat in the departure lounge we discussed the lethality (is that a proper word?) of some of the items that people were allowed to carry with them.

I realise the need for security searches but the banned items do sometimes seem to be arbitrarily chosen.

mypyrex 02 Apr 2018
In reply to baron:

> I realise the need for security searches but the banned items do sometimes seem to be arbitrarily chosen.

Probably depends what the "security" people are sort of.

baron 02 Apr 2018
In reply to mypyrex:

I was wondering what happens to all the confiscated items.

mrchewy 02 Apr 2018
In reply to baron:

Grigri not allowed last year, can't remember where at the moment but they let me leave it in lost and found, or something similar, for the week.

AdrianC 02 Apr 2018
In reply to baron:

A few weeks ago, whilst passing through a French airport not a million miles from Grenoble, I forgot that my shovel and probe were still in the day-sack I was using as carry-on.  When it was X-rayed they scowled at the image then insisted that I remove my Kindle before putting the sack through X-ray a second time.  The shovel and probe were fine both times.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...