UKC

Will Scotland welcome The Donald?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 subtle 26 Apr 2018

I see some "thinktanks" have advised that it would better for Trump to visit Scotland as opposed to London - would he be made welcome in Scotland?

Pete Pozman 26 Apr 2018
In reply to subtle:

If he goes to Scotland I'll be catching a train to join the thousands of others who'll be going up to give him an appropriate welcome. 

Lusk 26 Apr 2018
In reply to subtle:

Seeing as the French are now drooling over him (DT), France is a major EU player and Scotland is very pro-EU;  they should be welcoming him with open arms.

Tyler 26 Apr 2018
In reply to Lusk:

> Seeing as the French are now drooling over him

Are they, why?

Removed User 26 Apr 2018
In reply to subtle:

> I see some "thinktanks" have advised that it would better for Trump to visit Scotland as opposed to London - would he be made welcome in Scotland?

No.

If asked to describe the man I expect the phrase "complete tolly" would occur to most Scots.

climbEdclimb 26 Apr 2018
In reply to Lusk:

My understanding is that the French are certainly not drooling over him. The French public consensus on him are similar to the UK's thoughts of him (Pete has given a nice example of this above^). 

Whilst Macron may be getting the first state visit and to you looks like he is 'drooling over DT,' he has shown to the world that he will challenge DT and the way his government is acting. In fact he is willing to do it openly, in front of the American government in possibly the most public way possible: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43902364 

And lets not forget: https://twitter.com/emmanuelmacron/status/870407981044834304?lang=en

Post edited at 15:02
 marsbar 26 Apr 2018
In reply to subtle

https://janeygodley.com/2016/06/28/welcomed-trump-scotland/

Both links NSFW language and use of see you next Tuesday 

Andy Hardy 26 Apr 2018
In reply to subtle:

If the trumpster visits Edinburgh I'm going to open a pop-up "rotten egg and catapult" shop on Princess St.

Rob Parsons 26 Apr 2018
In reply to subtle:

Trump's visited Scotland several times before, and been thoroughly sucked up to. Why should now be any different?

Removed User 26 Apr 2018
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Eh?

In reply to subtle:

Would he be welcome for a round of golf in Aberdeen?

In reply to subtle:

Of course he will be made welcome.  This is a massive business opportunity for Scotland's sex workers to be recognised on the world stage.  Even now, I'm sure particularly weak bladdered representatives of the industry are in discussions with Prince Andrew and Scottish Enterprise about modifications to the en-suite bathroom at Balmoral to provide suitable entertainment for our guest.

The Lemming 26 Apr 2018
In reply to subtle:

Was the invite a knee jerk reaction by the government after they saw President Tweet schmoozing the Cheese eating surrender monkeys?

aln 26 Apr 2018
In reply to Removed User:

Slang pedantry is even trickier than the usual kind, but isn't it toaly?

BTW I agree with your sentiment. 

Removed User 26 Apr 2018
In reply to subtle:

"Some thinktanks". Is that rhyming slang?

He'll get the kind of welcome that will make Nigel Farage's visit to Edinburgh look like the second coming.

coinneach 26 Apr 2018
In reply to aln:

Nah. . . It’s toley 

Removed User 26 Apr 2018
In reply to aln:

Or maybe Tollie? I agree though, it didn't look quite right when I wrote it down.

"Pure Fud" would be another term that would come to mind for many Scots.

aln 26 Apr 2018

My preferred term is fannybaws. 

Removed User 26 Apr 2018
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> Trump's visited Scotland several times before, and been thoroughly sucked up to. Why should now be any different?

I was looking for this earlier: https://www.buzzfeed.com/hilarywardle/this-is-why-lots-of-scottish-people-h...

Removed User 26 Apr 2018
In reply to aln:

Yes Fannybaws would certainly spring to mind, as would "total bawbag".

coinneach 26 Apr 2018

what about c*ntylugs?

Rob Parsons 26 Apr 2018

You realise that Aberdeen's Robert Gordon University gave Trump an honorary degree in 2010 - several years after the start of the Menie Estate Golf Course affair? (Indeed - they gave him that *because* of his golf course contribution.)

That degree was revoked in 2015, I know - but you can't ignore the fact that RGU judged Trump worthy of such an award in 2010.

Further delightful examples of Scottish toadying to Trump can be seen in the 'You've Been Trumped' film. Watch that, and weep.

Post edited at 21:26
 David Cohen 27 Apr 2018
In reply to subtle:

The most effective form of protest would be to totally ignore him.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...