UKC

Hauts-Forts or other 2000m peaks in late May

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jamg 15 May 2018

Hi UKC,

We're off to Morzine next week for a family break. While I'm there I'm considering attempting a solo hike up to Hauts Forts (2466m) if the weather and conditions allow.

I've been tracking the weather, snow conditions and webcams for several weeks, and there's a lot of snow still around. But I'd be keen to know more about the ground conditions, the pros and cons of the various routes and the avalanche risk. Is there a fell top assessor for the Chablais alps?

I'm considering two routes:

- from Avoriaz, south up the ski runs: shorter, not that much ascent but the north facing slopes into Avoriaz still have lots of snow.

- from Le Crêt and along the western ridge, but it's longer and twice the ascent and the Plan de Zorre looks like an avalanche funnel. Seems to be lots of snow on the ridge from what I can see on webcams, but I can't see the southern side of the ridge.

If anyone has experience of those routes, particularly at this time of year I'd be keen to hear your thoughts. 

Some more questions:

- Is there anywhere/anyone in Morzine/Avoriaz with whom I should register my ascent? (I'm aware the towns will be pretty sparsely populated at this time of year!)

- The Meteo France site seems to be saying that they have no data - is that due to it being the off season, or just a technical glitch? http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/bulletin-avalanches/ha.... My french is appalling so I'm relying on Google Translate...

Any advice gratefully received - even if it's to tell me an ascent at this time of year would be daft and to recommend something else. Other options I've been considering are Pointe de Nyon and Pointe de Ressachaux. Or bringing a few more books and having a nice sit down by le lac.

Summitpost page for reference: https://www.summitpost.org/hauts-forts/152206

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...