UKC

Mont Blanc Solo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 domainsley 01 Jul 2018

Thinking of doing Gouter route solo in September, how busy is it in September and what's best time to in that month. Also any other tips and tricks for the route would be nice. Cheers 

chris gooder 01 Jul 2018
In reply to domainsley:

Fitness, acclimatisation and good weather.

Mark Haward 01 Jul 2018
In reply to domainsley:

As Chris said plus:

reasonable /good conditions (check the weekly bulletins and get update through the OHM in Chamonix)

.http://www.alpine-guides.com/climb/planning-your-climbing-trip/alpine-climb...

mysterion 01 Jul 2018
In reply to domainsley:

The bookings for both Tete Rousse and Gouter huts open up quite a bit in September, which is good. The tramway up from St Gervais closes around the second week though, which is not so good, though the cable car from Les Houches continues for a little longer. The snowline will certainly be dropping during the month.

Post edited at 15:19
OP domainsley 01 Jul 2018
In reply to Mark Haward: 

cheers mate!

In reply to mysterion:

I am thinking of using no huts, no cable car, all by foot from chamonix hopefully in 1 day (dependent on weather and possible paraglide down) but willing to camp if 1 day isn't possible - is there a place to camp just after the gouter hut? 

summo 01 Jul 2018
In reply to domainsley:

A sceptic might say, if you have to ask online then you probably don't have the experience to safely solo it. 

planetmarshall 01 Jul 2018
In reply to domainsley:

> Thinking of doing Gouter route solo in September...

I doubt anyone would ever be solo on the Goûter.

Rob Parsons 01 Jul 2018
In reply to planetmarshall:

> I doubt anyone would ever be solo on the Goûter.

I did that route early October one year and didn't see anybody else until I was very close to the Midi. So it's possible.

To the OP: your plan and timings are feasible if you're competent.

Post edited at 18:46
 Dave the Rave 01 Jul 2018
In reply to domainsley:

You could bivvy under your paraglide  canopy and save weight on a bivvy bag. Just a thought. 

Geras 01 Jul 2018
In reply to domainsley:

You will not do it in one day, unless you are exceedingly fit, like KJ and know the route. Even then KJ goes very light.

In reply to Geras:

24hours is a long time !! 

tingle 01 Jul 2018
In reply to Geras:

Quite a few do this in a oner. Extremely hard it is, but ground breaking it is definitely not.

Misha 01 Jul 2018
In reply to domainsley:

> 24hours is a long time !! 

Have you done much at altitude? Even if you’re acclimatised and go light, you would have to be very fit to do it valley to summit and back in one push. You’d need to be a regular fell runner, that sort of thing. 

Niblet 02 Jul 2018
In reply to domainsley:

Beware fresh snow on a dry glacier, especially if the crowds are thinning out a bit. 

tistimetogo 02 Jul 2018
In reply to domainsley:

Good luck. If making a bivi, I would recommend the Tete Rouse rather than the Gouter. 

Let us know how it goes.

OP domainsley 02 Jul 2018
In reply to tistimetogo:

thanks mate and I will do!! Hoping to get out there early-mid sept and also head to zermatt to do a bit of stuff too 

OP domainsley 02 Jul 2018
In reply to Misha:

yeah a bit, just got back from zermatt mid june, tried Matterhorn but too dangerous and a Japanese man fell and died attempting it too which isn't ideal!! 

Webster 02 Jul 2018
In reply to domainsley:

did similar to your plan (minus paraglide) in about a day an a half. you will only do it in 1 push if you are an experienced ultra runner, doing it in under two days is fine if acclimatised. i bivvied on the balcony/ledge of the old gouter hut, one of the best sleep spots of my life! fantastic sunset and really comfy spot. hid my bivy kit in the remains of the old hut for a lighweight summit day. i dont know what if any of the old hut still exists (it was only about 4 years ago) but i imagine you will find somewhere in the vicinity. i planned on waking up at 2am but got woken about 1am by a team who were on their way up from the tet rousse and stepping over me... other than them i had the mountain to myself untill i reached the summit and sat waiting for the sun to rise for about an hour! it was the usual circus on the way down.

in short, sept is a great time to do it, less punters and things are freezing up again. as for when, all depends on the weather forecast 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...