UKC

Identity Politics, etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon Stewart 02 Aug 2018

Just switched on this Radio 4 debate half way through - definitely worth listening to if you're interested in this stuff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bclhh2

In reply to Jon Stewart:

I really can't be arsed to invest 30 minutes of my life in this. Can you summarise it in any way? I could be tempted into listening to it - but "Identity Politics, etc." doesn't float my boat. We all have identities and are all embroiled in politics whether we like it or not and I'd rather not hear a group of strangers wank on about it unless there is a particularly compelling reason to do so?

Timmd 02 Aug 2018
In reply to Phantom Disliker: Do you know what 'identity politics' refers to?

Post edited at 22:24
In reply to Timmd:

I assume it's about categorising different sexual identities?

OP Jon Stewart 02 Aug 2018
In reply to Phantom Disliker:

> Can you summarise it in any way?

No.

Timmd 02 Aug 2018
In reply to Phantom Disliker: It's not specifically about categorising, no, and it's not only about sexuality.

It's probably worth a google and looking into a little bit if you're interested at all.

Post edited at 22:41
 bouldery bits 02 Aug 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Ah, was it a bit complex for you Jon? 

:P

OP Jon Stewart 02 Aug 2018
In reply to bouldery bits:

> Ah, was it a bit complex for you Jon? 

Might be - I turned it on half way through while I was doing something else. I intend to listen to it later - you know me, I can't get enough of listening to Jordan Peterson blah on and on about victimhood.

Timmd 03 Aug 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I have a feeling Tracy Ullman would eat Jordan Peterson for breakfast.  

Post edited at 02:35
 Postmanpat 03 Aug 2018
In reply to Timmd:

> I have a feeling Tracy Ullman would eat Jordan Peterson for breakfast.  

What would they be arguing about?

In reply to Timmd:

"Woke" , "lit" , various acronyms.....I seriously wonder if it will become impossible to understand my children in a few years time because I will be clueless as to what they are on about. Probably just how they will want it now I come to think about it...

In reply to Jon Stewart:

I did listen to this and it seems to be about the balancing act of having freedom of speech without people being hurtfully offensive. It was quite enlightening and I have no idea why I was so opposed to the broadcast last night. Maybe I'm a "gammon" when it gets dark.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...