UKC

Southern Norway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Coley 08 Aug 2018

Hi,

I have just returned from my first trip to Lofoten, and was mightily impressed.

Now thinking of where to go next year and bumped in some stuff on Setesdal. 

I'm looking for somewhere for July with less of a drive than Lofoten, with a combination of long multi pitch, shorter climbs, good walking and great scenery. So, is Setesdal a good call, and are there alternatives? We will be a group of about 20 leading VS to E4.

Thanks for any help.

D

GarethSL 08 Aug 2018
In reply to David Coley:

Depending on your budget/ desires then Innerdalen, Romsdalen or Jotunheimen with flights to Trondheim and the hire of a couple of mini vans could be a good option if you don't want to drive from the UK.

Not the worst to drive there from the UK either. All have an excellent mix of alpine climbing, multipitch rock and single pitch cragging. The views are incredible, there is excellent walking and hiking options, plus there are plenty of other things to see and do on down days.

richgac 08 Aug 2018
In reply to David Coley:

Uskedalen fits all your criteria, and mighty impressive would be a good description of it!  Multipitches short and long (some extremely long), very good scenic hiking and scrambling ridges in the area.  Setesdal is a bit underwhelming in comparison. 

wbo 08 Aug 2018
In reply to David Coley:how much do you like slab climbing? After three days in Setesdal I'd be done.  

Uskedalen

Mr. Lee 08 Aug 2018
In reply to David Coley:

I've only done a few days on the bolted routes at Setesdal but the climbing was very samey. The trad routes might have extended the interest for a few days but not much more. The guidebook massively overstates the quality of the routes. The majority of the routes get three stars even though a lot of stuff is very forgetful. I'd go to either Uskedalen or Nissedal if it was me. Uskedalen will be the quieter option, although it's only Via Lara at Nissedal that can see queueing. Sometimes Mot Sola but probably less so in July when a lot of Norwegians are on holiday and climbing traffic becomes more spread out through the week. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...