UKC

REVIEW: Climbers' Club Guide to South Devon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 10 Aug 2018
South Devon, 4 kbRob Greenwood takes a look at the latest guidebook in the Climbers' Club series, the long awaited update to Nick White's 1995 South Devon and Dartmoor Guide.

Read more
 UKB Shark 10 Aug 2018
In reply to UKC Gear:

“For those that are tired of living a conventional life there's always the South Hams coast, Ladram Bay, and Beer Head too.”

LOLZ

In reply to UKB Shark:

Free yourself from the shackles Shark

I've been meaning to head down to Ladram Bay for ages. Even had a date to go earlier this year, but my climbing partner got cold feet and decided to go sport climbing instead. Looking back, they probably made the right decision...

Post edited at 12:53
 Sean Kelly 10 Aug 2018
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

That cliff at Beer Head is a monster and as for the climbing, certainly some challenge at ...

115mtr. VI+/A2 (XS 5b)!

UKB Shark 10 Aug 2018

Hopefully the visitor book is still on top of Big Picket - a Kings School exercise book. If so my name is in it from a very long time ago.

Paul Reeve backed off this not so long ago..

Post edited at 17:45
 bensilvestre 10 Aug 2018

If the endless summer continues into October I'd be well keen for a date down that way Rob. Some mega looking routes on those cliffs. Best get them done before they become features of your other article...

Edit: October because I'm pretty busy with work til then

Nice review. I love how palpable your excitement is throughout. But it really is a great guide, and I really enjoyed using it and discovering a few previously missed gems at Berry Head last weekend. What a fantastic part of the world

Post edited at 20:03
In reply to UKB Shark:

> Hopefully the visitor book is still on top of Big Picket - a Kings School exercise book. If so my name is in it from a very long time ago.

> Paul Reeve backed off this not so long ago..

These two pieces of information make it all the more alluring...

In reply to bensilvestre:

Ben, let's stay in touch.

side-note: you can't imagine how happy this invite makes Penny, as it means she doesn't have to do it now

Jon_Warner 14 Aug 2018
In reply to UKC Gear:

Nice! Looks great. As much as I love the character of the Nick White guide, the psychedelic spirals and the Palm of Power, looking for route A 20ft of route B which starts by the Ash Tree that was removed 10 years ago was quite tiring sometimes .  

I do have to take up the comment on White Rhino Tea though {the softest 7a in the south - is finally downgraded to 6c+ (presumably because it was never 7a)}.... well personally I reckon I have climbed quite a lot of the 7a/b's in the South including everything at Torbryan and also a few on Berry Head but somehow never managed that thugfest. Having said that I also think most 6c+'s are harder than 7a's so perhaps the grade makes sense. hah!

smithg 15 Aug 2018
In reply to UKC Gear:

Excellent. Any news on a kindle/pdf/e-version?

In reply to smithg:

I'm not sure what the CC are doing about their app, as I don't get the impression there was a huge uptake; as such, the best e-version you're likely to get is to buy a copy, then take a photo of the relevant pages on your camera or phone before setting off en route.

smithg 15 Aug 2018

Ok thanks. Maybe something for the 2041 edition.

Sean Kelly 16 Aug 2018
In reply to UKC Gear:

Sorry to add Pete but when I used the guide for the first time last night and I'm afraid to say that I have noted an error on page 466

Petit Tor area. Partyline 18m VS 4c (photo page 5)

The photo on page 5 is of the ... Rainbow Bridge area, about 10 miles away as the seal swims.

I'm sure like the seal, other mistakes will slowly surface!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...