UKC

Buying Euros

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Co1in H 20 Aug 2018

Off to the Netherlands on Wednesday and need to buy some Euros. Try as I may I cannot get a rate for walking into a branch of a travel company or money exchange with cash. All the websites want me to order on line and have it delivered or pick up at a branch.

I don't want to do this and I don't have the time before my plane leaves. Can anyone point me in the right direction other than changing it at the airport?

Thanks

streapadair 20 Aug 2018
In reply to Co1in H:

Post Office - did that myself this morning, 250 euros = £240.10, bloody brexit.

skog 20 Aug 2018
In reply to Co1in H:

With it being Euros, you should be able to walk into most places and buy a reasonable sum without having to order first.

M&S are usually OK for this (as are plenty of other places, to be fair), and you can see their rate here. (there's a calculator linked, too):

https://bank.marksandspencer.com/travel/travel-money/currency-exchange-rate...

Mr Lopez 20 Aug 2018
In reply to Co1in H:

For the airport branches if i want to pay at the desk i order online and use a card that does not have enough money on it, that brings a page saying something like "your card has not gone through but you can still pay when you collect" and gives the option to do justthat.

OP Co1in H 20 Aug 2018
In reply to skog:

Thanks, that's a shocking rate if you don't have an M&S bank card.

I just want a website that tells me the walk in rates. 

Footloose 20 Aug 2018
In reply to Co1in H:

Or you can take out cash in euros from the atm at Schiphol? - it worked for me.

Mr Lopez 20 Aug 2018
In reply to Co1in H:

> I just want a website that tells me the walk in rates. 

Use this https://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/

If one of the top results is ICE like it normally comes for me, you don't need to pay upfront, you just enter some details and get a voucher to use when you go and collect

mrphilipoldham 20 Aug 2018
In reply to Footloose:

I'd do this.. you then get the market rate, minus a one off fee and small percentage (dependent on your bank - some are free!). Works out better than an exchange, usually.

Post edited at 21:54
 cander 20 Aug 2018
In reply to Co1in H:

Try Sainsbury’s, you get discounted rate with a nectar card.

marsbar 20 Aug 2018
In reply to Co1in H:

If you phone Debenhams they will probably give you the online rate in store.  

In reply to Co1in H: A few weeks back I got a rate of 1.13 with my Monzo card when I used the ATM in Montenegro.

Robert Durran 20 Aug 2018
In reply to Co1in H:

ATM on arrival in Netherlands?

Dax H 21 Aug 2018
In reply to Co1in H:

I don't know how good the rates are but most travel agents will change cash. Last year my bank screwed up sending out my debit card so on the morning of the holiday I drew out 2k in cash, the bank couldn't change it because I didn't have a card so I walked in to the travel agent next door and came out with a bunch of euros. 

yorkshireman 21 Aug 2018
In reply to Co1in H:

Even my in-laws have seen the light and pay by card or draw out cash while abroad.

> All the websites want me to order on line and have it delivered or pick up at a branch.

I suppose that's because what you're asking for is a fixed rate in advance without paying for it - or at least to see the current rate which will likely have changed by the time you walk into the shop.

When you walk in you'll get the rate they're posting there and then. When you order online you're getting the rate posted there and then. You're asking to see a rate online, not pay for it yet, then walk in at a later date and get the same rate?

Post edited at 07:25
 ianstevens 21 Aug 2018
In reply to yorkshireman:

> Even my in-laws have seen the light and pay by card or draw out cash while abroad.

> > All the websites want me to order on line and have it delivered or pick up at a branch.

> I suppose that's because what you're asking for is a fixed rate in advance without paying for it - or at least to see the current rate which will likely have changed by the time you walk into the shop.

> When you walk in you'll get the rate they're posting there and then. When you order online you're getting the rate posted there and then. You're asking to see a rate online, not pay for it yet, then walk in at a later date and get the same rate?

I'm making a presumption here based on my own needs, but I'm guessing the OPs are similar. What I want(ed*) to happen was to be able to look at the current, in-store rate of all the exchanges I could get to in person at that time, to see which was best. Then go to that one in town, rather than doing a lap of them all and wasting an hour plus or my time. Even if they may change a bit in the time between me looking at the rate and buying currenc. Would most likely have been the same day, so very unlikley that rates would change.

*I saw the light, got a monzo card and just use it abroad like a normal card. Better rates than cash, no left over change and no fannying around with cash and all the associated issues. For counties where card is less common (e.g. Germany) I would go to the atm and get out what I wanted when I wanted it. Great system.

John2 21 Aug 2018
In reply to Co1in H:

Ramsden's offer quite a reasonable rate, I believe.

cander 21 Aug 2018
In reply to John2:

My daughter uses Ramsdens and generally gets a better rate than any of us.

RX-78 21 Aug 2018
In reply to Co1in H:

Thomas Exchange Global have various London branches. Usually very good rates and when i went to return foreign notes they were happy to take back old worn ones, unlike the PO.

mishabruml 21 Aug 2018
In reply to Co1in H:

Revolut card

Removed User 21 Aug 2018
In reply to mishabruml:

> Revolut card

I second that.

profitofdoom 21 Aug 2018
In reply to Co1in H:

On frequent visits to Amsterdam I just withdrew Euros from the ATMs in the airport terminal using a UK debit card (as others have suggested. Last time I went they were right next to the train ticket office). Then you do not have to get them before you leave the UK. Exchange rate seemed OK to me

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...