UKC

Maurice Wilson – Everest's Most Peculiar Casualty

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Everest, Nuptse and Lhotse, 4 kbArmed with a new pilots license, Maurice Wilson set out from London in 1933 planning to crash land on the upper slopes of Everest before strolling to the summit. It didn't end well. Ash Routen explores this remarkable tale.

Read more
 Henry Iddon 21 Aug 2018
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Ed Cessar - Author of the acclaimed 'Two Hours' and writer for The Sunday Times Magazine, British GQ, The Independent, New York Times etc is writing a biography on Maurice Wilson - due out later this year / early next. As I understand it his research shines a new light on Wilson.

Ash Routen 21 Aug 2018
In reply to Henry Iddon:

Thanks Henry. Sound's like a really interesting book. There's definitely more to say on the speculation around the female clothes found by the Chinese in 1960. I'll look forward to that and taking a look at 'Two Hours'.

Geoff Powter has touched upon Wilson in his book - Strange and Dangerous Dreams: The Fine Line Between Adventure and Madness.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Strange-Dangerous-Dreams-Between-Adventure/dp/0898...

James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 21 Aug 2018

What a surreal and fantastic story, you couldn't make it up! Will definitely keep an eye out for Ed Cessar's book.  

Damo 21 Aug 2018

In the mid-80s, maybe 1986(?) a Spanish team found Wilson's remains, again, and buried them in a new location. It's mentioned briefly in some notes in the Himalayan Database.

Goucho 21 Aug 2018

What a fascinating article. 

British eccentricity at its finest and most absurd

Martin Haworth 21 Aug 2018

What a great short article, really whets the appetite to read more about this character.

In reply to Henry Iddon:

There is also the biography of Maurice Wilson by Dennis Roberts called 'I'll climb mount Everest alone' published in the 1950's.

In reply to Allanfairfechan:

Maurice Wilson is probably my biggest hero. We share the same BD, initials and he took off in his Gypsy Moth near where I was born so I have a special affinity towards him,

Have read both books on his life, his journey to Everest is far more interesting and adventurous than the disastrous attempt itself IMO. Fascinating story and a true British eccentric (rumours of cross dressing and ladies knickers found in his tent, although not sure how true that is) 

Look forward to reading a new book on his life.

It's actually worthy of a Hollywood movie, most people would never believe the story was based on truth!

Post edited at 08:52

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...