UKC

No deal good / bad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wbo 25 Aug 2018
In reply to mike lamb:no, honestly I can't be bothered

cander 25 Aug 2018
In reply to wbo:

Me neither.

DoctorYoghourt 25 Aug 2018
In reply to mike lamb:

Just checked all of my pockets. No fux to give.

plyometrics 25 Aug 2018
In reply to mike lamb:

Dear Mike,

I had hoped this would be about Noel Edmonds. 

Yours in sincere disappointment. 

Plyometrics. 

In reply to DoctorYoghourt:

You see, the lethargy demonstrated on this thread just shows how we're sleepwalking into a Venezuela style situation. Everyone here needs a rocket putting up them!!

Edit: Saying that , I don't have time to listen to the recording, I'm off to a surprise 60th shortly 

Post edited at 13:23
 Bob Kemp 25 Aug 2018
In reply to mike lamb:

Worth it for the Brexiter stunned into silence by real expertise. Listen a little before 8.44 if you can't be bothered with the whole thing. Facts meeting cult-like faith. 

wbo 25 Aug 2018
In reply to mike lamb etc al: far from apathetic.  But unless it contains the instructions for a time machine watching a couple of. Blokes arguing on YouTube will achieve little beyond depressing me

Post edited at 16:25
Lusk 25 Aug 2018
In reply to Phantom Disliker:

> You see, the lethargy demonstrated on this thread just shows how we're sleepwalking into a Venezuela style situation. Everyone here needs a rocket putting up them!!

You're surprised by the lethargy?!
People have been discussing this endlessly for the last 26 months, and what have they achieved, absolutely sod all!

(where does the question mark, if needed, go in that last sentence?)

In reply to Lusk:

> You're surprised by the lethargy?!

> People have been discussing this endlessly for the last 26 months, and what have they achieved, absolutely sod all!

It's turning into a faith versus reason debate like arguments between atheists and religious people.     Like religious people or smokers as long as it stays theoretical the Brexiteers are going to stick with their faith and ignore any amount of evidence based argument.

It took sex scandals for people in Ireland to move away from the Catholic Church, it took someone they knew being affected to persuade a lot of smokers that cigarettes caused cancer and it is quite likely going to take an economic crisis to force Brexiteers to give up their self-destructive project.

felt 25 Aug 2018
In reply to Lusk:

> People have been discussing this endlessly for the last 26 months, and what have they achieved, absolutely sod all!

> (where does the question mark, if needed, go in that last sentence?)

People have been discussing this endlessly for the last 26 months. And what have they achieved? Absolutely sod all!

Oceanrower 25 Aug 2018
In reply to felt:

Hmm. I'm still not convinced about starting a sentence with a coordinating conjunction.

I know it's allowed but it doesn't seem right.

felt 25 Aug 2018
In reply to Oceanrower:

> I'm still not convinced about starting a sentence with a coordinating conjunction.

Still? But we've gone over this so many times.

profitofdoom 25 Aug 2018

> I'm off to a surprise 60th shortly 

Is it for you? If so it is not a surprise ha-ha-ha

In reply to profitofdoom:

It wasn’t. The theme was pie and mash then there was a surprise fly-by from a Russian Yak fighter plane. I wonder if logistically we’ll be able to celebrate like this in a year’s time or will we (in the words of Frankie Boyle) be “selling sexual favours for insulin”?

DoctorYoghourt 26 Aug 2018

No lethargy on my part.  I'm very active politically.  I just don't care about irrelevant issues.  And where's the evidence for this Venezuela assertion?  No-one knows what the economic ramifications of so-called Brexit will be.

In reply to Oceanrower:

>People have been discussing this endlessly for the last 26 months. And what have they achieved? Absolutely sod all!

It is not a conjunction; and it's perfectly good English. The last sentence is completely valid with a 'verb understood' = '(They have achieved)' or, even more explicitly: '(Answer: They have achieved)' ... etc.

> No-one knows what the economic ramifications of so-called Brexit will be.

It's more like a lot of people don't want to admit the obvious consequences of no-deal Brexit because they are inconvenient.    The WTO rules are written down and there is ample experience of how long trade agreements take to negotiate.  If we leave the EU and are no longer covered by its agreements and agencies we will be f*cked for a period of years until we can set up replacements.

Trevers 27 Aug 2018

... is the Brexiteer stock response when confronted with expert opinion that says that the economic ramifications will highly likely be entirely negative. Funnily enough, they don't say the same when some Brexiteer says it'll all be great, without offering any reasoned argument about why it'll be great.

George Ormerod 27 Aug 2018

Eveyone knows they’re going to be shit, the only uncertainty is how shit.  This wasn’t the message on the side of a big red bus.  Still, it’s the will of half of the people.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...