UKC

Tow bar bike racks Inc kids bikes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Philip 02 Sep 2018

Anyone recommend a good bike tow bar bike rack option, I want it to last a few years (min 5) which means going from 2 adult + 1 child bike (12" wheels) to 2 adults and probably 24 inch and a 16/18 inch.

I don't think the hanging type will be good for kids bikes. Do I get a 2 bike tow bar and lash the smaller bikes, or a 3 with an extension kit?

Whilst I'd appreciate recommendation on a decent model, it's the strategy I also need help with. Don't really want to put any on the roof, but maybe one up there would be an option. I've had two cars without the ability to transport bikes, and small kids that meant no reason anyway. Last time I had a bike rack all the gear fitted in the car and it was only two adults!

dan bulman 02 Sep 2018
In reply to Philip: I've had a Halfords one for a few years which has been great. Under£200 i think still.

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?cat...

sihills 02 Sep 2018
In reply to Philip:

I've a go outdoors 3 bike ride on one. Much cheaper that the posh alternatives. Had for a couple of years and still going strong.

Stig 02 Sep 2018
In reply to Philip:

Was in the same boat earlier this year and got a Thule Velo compact 3 (927 I think is the exact model), plus the extension kit.

Expensive maybe but it is total quality - I don't imagine I'll be selling it and it'll last a lot longer than 5 years. It hinges so you can get into the boot and both the tow bar attachment and the individual metal bars lock... whether you trust that is up to you. I use an extra cable lock if leaving them in a car park etc.

Currently it will carry two adult road bikes, a 26" road bike and a 20" Islabike.

Probably like you, I used to shove an MTB in the back of a KA then moved on to a Saris bones for three bikes but got sick of the faff of mounting it and it moving around. The Thule is utterly solid and easily the quickest option once its on the car. Heavy though and takes up a lot of space in the cellar!

OP Philip 03 Sep 2018
In reply to Stig:

I've narrowed it down to a Halfords on price or Alteration Strata DL for simplicity (but actually there are a few similar and I'll get what's on offer). I think I'll just buy the 3 bike version now and the add on when I need it. 

All comes down to how easy the Halfords is to fit and store.

Ferret 03 Sep 2018
In reply to Philip:

I've got a 4 bike buzzrack from ukroofboxes online shop. Happy with it. It's simple and bombproof. Takes 4 bikes (there are other sizes available) and we've got 2 adult bikes and a couple of combinations of smaller child bikes on. It's sometimes a bit of a jigsaw getting them on but that'll be the same as any other I think - partly as kids bikes are small doesn't actually make it any easier as they clash with eth adult bikes in unexpected places... It hinges down so you can get into boot and uses a very simple mechanism for that so you are 100% sure if it is 'open' or closed/shut properly.

Only downside is that all in it's about 20kg and a bit unwieldy but again it seems in line with other makes. and it does all fold down so I store it hanging against a wall in the shed. It ahs assorted locks but they are a bit pansy and have the look of the type of thing that would just as easily jam locked as not which would be a pain so I just use a long cable to lock all 4 bikes to the rack. Can't see anybody shifting that lot and the cable can then be used to chain the rack to something if I'm travelling and want to ditch rack and bikes somewhere for a while.

Wry Spudding 03 Sep 2018
In reply to Philip:

Make sure you check the allowable nose weight on your tow bar is sufficient for the rack and the number of bikes. But it can also be tricky getting the bikes to fit side by side without handlebars, forks etc. clashing. It is made more tricky by the wide range of frame shapes, with less space to pass the clamp tubes through. For 3 bikes, my wife has the Atera Strada, which works pretty well, clamping onto the towball.

LastBoyScout 03 Sep 2018
In reply to Philip:

This should cover all the options: https://www.roofbox.co.uk/bike-carriers/bike-carriers-racks-range-towbar-mo...

My neighbour has the Thule one and loves it

Another mate has the Atera Strada DL3 with the forth bike adapter and loves that one. It slides away so you can open the tailgate with the bikes on.

XXXX 03 Sep 2018
In reply to Philip:

Hi. Why not the roof?

I have a car with rails and a tow bar and currently trying to decide whether to go roof mounted or tow bar. 

OP Philip 03 Sep 2018
In reply to XXXX:

I already have two for the roof from an old car, but my wife can't reach the roof. Also fitting the bar and bike holders is a slow process, and on family holidays I expect to have a box on the roof. I'm going to give the old roof ones to a friend to use.

What's interesting is although they have great reviews on the sites, no one seems to have one of the tow bar mounted hanging type.

My tow bar has 100 kg nose weight, so no problem for 4 bikes.

Tricky Dicky 03 Sep 2018
In reply to Philip:

I've got this buzzrack and have been very happy with, it expands so grows as the childrens bikes get bigger. Fold flat when not in use  https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessorie...

Make sure that you check the nose weight for your car, so that the rack, loaded up with bikes doesn't affect the car handling. 

I went for 4 bikes on the rack so that we can put a box on the roof and go camping with the bikes.

XXXX 03 Sep 2018
In reply to Philip:

Thanks! I'll follow the thread with interest as I have the same requirement.

OP Philip 03 Sep 2018
In reply to Tricky Dicky:

Thanks for that. It's similar to Halfords price and design, but I'd far rather buy from RoofBox - I've had stuff from them before.

How easy is the attachment to the bar (the one on the car I'm looking at is 100 kg, so no worries on load).

jonfun21 03 Sep 2018
In reply to Philip:

Got one of these, they are great and pack down small when not in use 

https://maxxraxx.co.uk/

mountainbagger 03 Sep 2018
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> This should cover all the options: https://www.roofbox.co.uk/bike-carriers/bike-carriers-racks-range-towbar-mo...

> My neighbour has the Thule one and loves it

> Another mate has the Atera Strada DL3 with the forth bike adapter and loves that one. It slides away so you can open the tailgate with the bikes on.

That's where I got my Altera Strada DL3 from. I love it! Really well made secure and you can definitely get kids bikes on it. I've got my son's 20" and daughter's 14" bikes on it right now.

Tricky Dicky 03 Sep 2018
In reply to Philip:

> How easy is the attachment to the bar

I find it very easy, but there is a bit of a knack. Just joggle the rack up and down a bit to get it seated properly on the tow ball before tightening up the big knurled nut.

Sam W 03 Sep 2018
In reply to Philip:

We went for a second hand Halfords 4 bike tow bar rack with mixed results. It's tricky to get 2 kids and 2 adult bikes neatly arranged on it, and poor design means the wheel holders are slightly too closely spaced to securely hold adult bike wheels.

Weight is fine on our Octavia Estate as long as the boot doesn't have to much in it. Does start to sit low if we load up with camping stuff and all the bikes.

Overall, I'll have a look at other options before buying another 4 bike rack. Think 2 on the roof and 2 on the back may work better, but would also like to test a better quality rack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...