UKC

Chamonix

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ilya 13 Sep 2018

Hello everyone!

I need some help. Suddenly i decided to go for my first "climbing" tripto Chamonix- only bouldering climbing. I have never been doing this outdoors, so i am very excited and getting ready for everything. I planned to visit Chamonix on the first week of october! Could anyone tell me, if it is possible to climb boulders on october there? Maybe some routes to climb you can advice?

Thank you so much dear friends! 

Post edited at 09:17
In reply to Ilya:

Out of curiosity why’d you pick Chamonix as your destination? There is some Bouldering in the valley but I don’t think many people go to Cham for Bouldering.

Its a cool town to visit though.

stonejumper 13 Sep 2018
In reply to Ilya:

You could drive to Font in around 8hrs from the middle of the UK but Chamonix sure is a very nice place but so is Font!

Ilya 13 Sep 2018
In reply to paul_the_northerner:

Thank you for answering soon!

I've chosen Chamonix because i am from Russia! Its much more easier to get there than to other places, its closer to me also i have only 2-3 days. The second reason- ive never been bouldering outside before, and wanted to go to Europe and only 0laces i know are Chamonix and Innsbruck! Maybe you know any place to go on October?

Post edited at 10:22
Ilya 13 Sep 2018
In reply to stonejumper:

Thank you so much! But i think its too far and too expensive trip...unfortunetly... cause i'am from Russia.

McHeath 13 Sep 2018
In reply to Ilya:

Maybe you could consider Croatia? - 1. probably nearer to you, 2. probably cheaper as a whole, 3. mediterranian climate, the weather would be a risk in Cham and Font, and 4. great climbing!

http://www.climb-europe.com/RockClimbingCroatia.html

Post edited at 10:40
Ilya 13 Sep 2018
In reply to McHeath:

Croatia? Its interesting! I'll check it! Thank you for the idea!

PaulTclimbing 13 Sep 2018
In reply to Ilya:

Fontainbleau could be good in the autumn. Leaves falling off the trees. A variety of endless circuits of different grades in an amazing forest. A wide variety of boulders and locations.  Bivvy or camping etc. If the weather goes bad- sightseeing days in Paris (interesting if you've not visited). The downside is that some locations are easier to get to with a car. A useful Michelin pocket map can be bought from garages. It shows the boulder locations which makes them easier to find. Its about 20miles south east of Paris on train lines.

Post edited at 13:20
In reply to Ilya:

I’ve gone to Chamonix a number of times just to Boulder. You should mostly be ok as there’s a fair amount down in the valley 

There are extensive Font style colour circuits in the woods near the Bossons glacier. They’ll need a good brushing at that time of year, but they’re easily accessible, near a road and great landings.

There is very good bouldering on both the French and Swiss sides of the Col de Montet above Argentiere, but could be dependent on the weather.

A new find this Summer was slightly down the valley at Meddonnet which has three big sectors. Again, there are Font style colour circuits here in lovely pine woods.

There are circuits in Argentiere, and on the way down to Chamonix at Le Lavancher.

I’ve  bouldered there in October and its been ok, but I might have just been lucky with the weather. If you do go, pop into Snell Sports in the Centre and pick up ‘les blocs de la region de Chamonix’ by Emmanuel Ratouis which covers the valley quite well. Again, there is ‘les blocs auteur de Chamonix’ by R Desgranges which is reasonable coverage.

Good luck

paul

Ilya 13 Sep 2018
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Dear Paul!

I'am very greatful for your outstanding help! Thank you so much!

Ilya 13 Sep 2018
In reply to PaulTclimbing:

Thank you so much again!

In reply to Ilya:

Alternatively, you could try Norway, which is even closer to Russia than Chamonix or Croatia. Also, it's inhabited by trolls, so you might feel really at home there.

Post edited at 00:44

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...