UKC

Dolomites: Recommend Camp/Climb Spots in October

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Takein 18 Sep 2018

Howdy folks

Will be in the Dolomites first two weeks of October. My first time out there. All campsites will be closed for the season but I've got a van so just need access to water and toilets. Are there any recommendations for basic camping spots that might fit the bill?  

We have ten days there and the number of areas seems overwhelming. Got the Rockfax book. Any recommendations  on good areas to concentrate for first timers.

Looking for easy but adventurous stuff. I have plenty of big mountain experience but not super strong on steep stuff. So long grade IV multipitches, exciting via ferrata and hiking summits would tick the bill.

Seems if the weather goes crap standard practice is a trip to Venice and a bunch of sport climbing in Arco?

Will take bouldering pads for sunshine, winter gear for the tops and everything in between...

Cheers 

tjekel 18 Sep 2018
In reply to Takein:

For first timers, start off at passo falzarego, several places for a van along the road and on passo valparola around the corner, sunny south facing routes at your grades from Lagazoi to Tofana and across Cortina on Fiames, which is slightly lower.

If the weather goes bad, you could also consider Trieste area for cragging. Good van site on Napoleonica for example.

Jenny C 18 Sep 2018
In reply to Takein:

Friends are out there at the moment and have said weather is autumnal. 

OP Takein 19 Sep 2018
In reply to Jenny C:

Does 'autumnal weather' mean its snowing!?

Jenny C 19 Sep 2018
In reply to Takein:

They didn't mention snow but said 11 degrees at breakfast in Cortina then warning up in the day.

nutme 19 Sep 2018

In Cortina you can get a shower for 1 euro at Stadio Olimpico del Ghiaccio. Very convenient when living in the vehicle.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...